Canadian Post Office Strike Countdown

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Here we are two weeks into a negotiating game of the poor workers of the postal union taking on the mean old government post office.

Two weeks of offers and counter offers and both sides playing the public relation game of getting support from the public.

The government post office started off with an interesting and unique offer that basically says that postal workers that are working as a permanent get to keep their pay and benefit levels and they would get a 2% raise every year but the workers that are hired after the contract is signed will start at a lower rate of pay and will take 7 years to get top rate and their benefits will be lower.

The Canadian postal union wants the same pay rate for everyone because they get the first three hours that a member works each month as union dues and with more people getting hired at a lower rate the union will get less money.

The countdown is on for either a strike or a contract settlement

This letter is the latest on the postal union’s web site

CUPW - 2011-05-28 - Canada Post's 3-R Approach to Bargaining: Radical, Reckless and Risky

May 28, 2011 - 16:40
Urban Postal Unit Negotiations (2011) / Bulletin
Negotiations Bulletin no. 51
With the appointment of Deepak Chopra in February 2011 many people hoped we would see a change in the confrontational and arrogant approach that characterized CPC management during the years of Moya Greene.
However, since February, we have yet to see any change in the approach that CPC management has taken to our current negotiations. Instead of identifying problems and discussing solutions with the Union, CPC's approach on the financial issues at bargaining can only be described as radical, reckless and risky.
Radical
While most postal administrations are dealing with declining letter volumes by expanding into revenue-generating services, such as banking, Canada Post management has come with demands for radical cuts in wages, benefits, pensions and job security. With inflation at 3.3% CPC is demanding to cut the starting wages of future employees by 22%. For current employees, they are offering 1.9% and a cost of living allowance that would result in a reduction of the purchasing power of our wages.
Reckless
An example of CPC's reckless behaviour is how they have pursued their demand to eliminate our sick leave and impose a very inferior short-term disability plan.
From the very beginning of negotiations they have refused to discuss any other approach to the issue of absenteeism even though it has been time loss due to injuries on duty, not sick leave, that has risen sharply.
Risky
The arrogance and intransigence of CPC in these negotiations puts at risk the long-term welfare of postal workers and the public postal service. At a time of declining volumes, CPC should be proposing new ways to expand services and increase revenues instead of attempting to impose extreme and radical demands on postal workers.
CUPW's Approach: Reasonable, Rational and Realistic
In these negotiations CUPW is presenting a reasonable program of demands, which addresses real problems that must be resolved so that Canada Post can move forward into the future. Whether it be on internal staffing, external work methods, seniority, human rights or health and safety issues, we have demonstrated our commitment to negotiating rational solutions concerning complex issues. It's time for Canada Post to adopt a similar approach.
In solidarity,

Denis Lemelin
National President and Chief Negotiator

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I think it would be a prejudicial policy to allow the government to treat new employees worse than existing employees.

Don't get me wrong, go ahead and pay a new hire a trainee rate, but once he's trained he should be paid the same as anyone else.

I think the government has sh*t for brains to want to discriminate.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think it would be a prejudicial policy to allow the government to treat new employees worse than existing employees.

Don't get me wrong, go ahead and pay a new hire a trainee rate, but once he's trained he should be paid the same as anyone else.

I think the government has sh*t for brains to want to discriminate.

I have no problem with paying new hires a lower rate, but then again, I've never worked in a civil service, union protected job, where everyone fits into a little slot.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Senior workers don't deserve more pay. the higher vacation pay and seniority perks should be enough

.imo, If 2 people are doing the same job, pay them the same wage.

It shouldn't be that difficult for the government to understand.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Senior workers don't deserve more pay. the higher vacation pay and seniority perks should be enough

I take the "same job" to mean doing the same amount of work in the same time, done to the same level of accuracy/expertise................not merely sharing the same job description. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

That makes sense, so the ideal solution for Canada Post is to cut everyone down to $15.00 per hour, including the CEO.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have no problem with paying new hires a lower rate, but then again, I've never worked in a civil service, union protected job, where everyone fits into a little slot.

Of course new hires should get a lower rate, until such time as they can produce at 100% of requirement, be it an hour, a day, a week or a year. There's some real winners out there. Several years ago I took my truck to Walmart (the only place to get a flat tire repaired on a holiday) and I waited a good 2 hours. The f*****g guy's tool box was on the other side of the shop and guess what, it took him three tries to find the right lug nut socket and he ambled across the shop three f******g times. My blood pressure rose 50 points just watching this sh*t. Is this the kind of sh*t a guy is expects to be billed $20 an hour for labour? 8O

That makes sense, so the ideal solution for Canada Post is to cut everyone down to $15.00 per hour, including the CEO.

I have a very nice mail lady (delivering door to door) . She's faster than sh*t through a goose. Her route is comprised of about 435 houses, I think her actual delivering time is about 5 hours a day, but I have no idea how much time she spends over and above that sorting etc. Personally I'd have no problem with her drawing $20 an hour for 8 hours...........................she's that fast.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I take the "same job" to mean doing the same amount of work in the same time, done to the same level of accuracy/expertise................not merely sharing the same job description. :smile:

absolutely.

if performance is important, then write it into the contract. And, if one performance slot isn't good enough, then create multiple performance slots. But don't come whining and crying like a lazy manager that wants to compare employee A with employee B with a method of evaluation that was never moved into the policy and procedure. without policy and procedure, a lazy manager will default to god like arbitrary decisions that are often prejudicial and discriminatory.

well, atleast a solution like that is consistant and doesn't have double standards and prejudices written into it.

Personally I'd have no problem with her drawing $20 an hour for 8 hours...........................she's that fast.

$20 seems fair to me. It is neither excessive or a slave wage.

Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Canadian postal union has made it official Friday is party time here are the final two sides of the story and from what the postal union wants will make this a possible long strike.

When you look at the both sides you have to ask yourself is the postal union or the government post office negotiating in good faith or are they both playing games at the public's expense.

Is it time for the government to declare the post office an essential service and put an end to postal strikes once and for all

The government post office is a moneymaker for Canada and has not relied on the government for tax money for years to run its operations and has provided a hefty return for the government.

Since the government post office, a crown corporation, is this the time to bring back the post office under the government so that the extra money they are paying for a CEO and the big profits they are making can be better served by reducing postage rates and improving service by getting rid of those community mail boxes in large urban areas for door to door mail carrier service.

We have to remember that the government post office belongs to the people of Canada.

Canada Post latest offer can be found on http://www.infopost.ca/en/files/2011/05/summary_of_counteroffer-e.pdf

This is what the postal union wants a lot more as found on the unions web site; CUPW - 2011-05-30 - CUPW Final Offer ? May 30, 2011

1. Job Security

1.1 CUPW is willing to amend its demand to return to the system already provided for in the expired collective agreement: job security for all regular employees working in the bargaining unit as of the signing of the collective agreement and job security after five years or more of continuous employment for those who become regular employees after the signing of the collective agreement. (Article 53 to be amended accordingly)

2. Service Expansion and Job Creation

2.1 CUPW is willing to amend its demand regarding the Appendix "T" projects.
It proposes that a feasibility study be carried out regarding the proposal to offer banking and financial services within the bargaining unit and that the parties then hold consultation on the results of the study. The other projects already identified in our May 22, 2011 proposal remain.
2.2 CUPW is willing to substantively amend its proposal regarding door-to-door delivery. It proposes to mandate the Appendix "T" working committee to review the feasibility of expanding door-to-door delivery and, more specifically, for seniors and for people with impaired mobility, as some other postal administrations are doing.
2.3 CUPW is also willing to amend various aspects of its demand regarding Appendix "I". Part I, sub-paragraph (c) would only apply to light vehicles. Part III of our proposal would be amended in two ways.
First, CUPW is willing to specify that these provisions only apply to the facilities that already have Group 3 employees.
Second, CUPW is willing to delete sub-paragraph (b), which pertains to maintenance work and to add this under the Appendix "T" projects. A pilot project on the feasibility of this proposal would be conducted in two large postal facilities to be selected by the Appendix "T" working committee.
2.4 The July 31, 2014 date mentioned several times in Appendix "I" would also be amended to correspond with the expiry date of the collective agreement.
2.5 CUPW maintains its other demands under Appendix "I," namely those that pertain to maintaining 535 corporate postal outlets and the contracting-in of Group 3 and Group 4 work. In addition, without the requested clarifications and to avoid any ambiguity, CUPW confirms that its demand regarding the small parcel and bundle sorter also includes the small package sorter.

3. Duration of the Collective agreement, Wages and Benefits

3.1 CUPW is willing to accept the Corporation's demand for a four (4)-year collective agreement, from February 1st, 2011 to January 30, 2015, provided the employees' purchasing power is sufficiently protected against inflation.
3.2 CUPW is also willing to significantly amend its wage demand to reach a collective agreement without a work disruption. However, it is essential that wages be protected against inflation.
CUPW believes that the wage increase for the first year of the collective agreement must correspond to the most recent data on inflation. Thereafter, an indexing formula adapted to the new wage proposal must be included.
CUPW therefore proposes increases of 3.3% as of February 1st, 2011 and 2.75% as of February 1st of the following three years of the collective agreement.
The hourly rate increases shall be calculated based on the PO-5 classification wage rates for Groups 1 and 2; and on the MAM-11 classification rates for Groups 3 and 4.
The proposed increases shall be as follows:
3.3 The wage indexing formula already proposed by CUPW (clause 35.09) remains with a trigger set at 11.5 percentage points higher than the Consumer Price Index published for January 2011, adjusting the language to reflect that the collective agreement will extend to January 30, 2015.
3.4 CUPW maintains its demand to increase by $3.00 the hourly wage rate for heavy duty mechanics. (Appendix "A," note 11)
3.5 The Corporate Team Incentive (CTI) is eliminated and those funds are redirected towards ensuring the future financial health of the Pension Plan. CUPW will participate fully in the decision-making process regarding the use of these funds.
3.6 CUPW is willing to accept, for the first three years of the collective agreement, the Corporation's proposal to increase to 5% the supplement in lieu of benefits paid to temporary employees. It maintains its demand to increase this supplement to 6% in the fourth year of the agreement.
3.7 CUPW maintains its demand that employees not be required to reimburse the salary paid to them during an injury-on-duty leave. (Clauses 24.03 and 24.04)
3.8 CUPW is willing to withdraw its demand that a top-up payment be paid to employees on compassionate care leave, but maintains this demand for parental leave. (Clause 23.08)
3.9 CUPW maintains its proposals of May 22, 2011 regarding the Dental Plan, the Extended Health Care Plan, the coverage of drugs prescribed in the hospital, and the equal sharing of the surplus in the Disability Insurance Plan. (Article 30)
3.10 CUPW is also willing to amend its proposals of May 22, 2011 regarding the Education Fund and the Child Care Fund by dropping the indexing formulas.

4. Respect for Employees

4.1 CUPW maintains its demand for an end to harassment and bullying by the Corporation's service providers against sick or injured employees and its demand on protecting private medical information. (Clauses 10.11, 20.08 and 33.10)

5. Information and Transparency

5.1 CUPW maintains its demands regarding access to information, more detailed reports in an electronic format, the use of a constant format and access to the software used for route restructurings. (Clauses 6.06, 46.04, 47.04, 47.07, 47.23, 47.24, Appendix "P" and Appendix "VV" (new))

6. Health and Safety

6.1 CUPW is willing to amend its demand on the requirement to conduct joint ergonomic studies (clause 33.02) so that these studies must be performed prior to their introduction or within a reasonable period following their introduction.
6.2 CUPW maintains its demand to improve the rotation of duties. (Clause 14.21)
6.3 CUPW maintains its proposal of May 22, 2011 regarding Appendix "DD" and the guidelines.
6.4 CUPW maintains its position on reducing compulsory letter carrier overtime and on improving the rules governing the coverage of uncovered letter carrier routes. However, it is willing to amend its proposal regarding clause 17.04 to eliminate some steps in the procedure while making sure that the Corporation will call upon temporary employees and volunteers among other qualified employees in the postal installation before resorting to compulsory overtime. (Clauses 15.08, 15.14, 17.04, 44.04 and 44.05)

7. Staffing, Work Scheduling and Assignments

7.1 On the issue of Group 1 staffing, CUPW is willing to amend its proposal of May 22, 2001 to return to an adjustment factor of 8.57% under sub-paragraph 1(a) (vi) of Appendix "P". For the rest, it maintains its positions.
7.2 CUPW maintains its demands on the notification of schedule changes for Group 3 and the canvassing for overtime in
Groups 3 and 4. (Clauses 14.15, 15.11 and 15.29)
7.3 CUPW is willing to amend its demand on the application of seniority when the Corporation terminates the daily assignment of temporary employees (clause 44.15): seniority would be applied within the section or the installation, if there is no section.
7.4 CUPW maintains its demand on maintaining the existing practice in the application of clause 39.05. (Clause 39.05 and letter regarding the application of clause 39.05)
7.5 CUPW maintains its proposal of May 22, 2011 regarding the combining of Group 1 classifications into the PO�5 and PO�5 PT classifications.

8. Work Methods

8.1 CUPW maintains its demands regarding the single bundle delivery method for all points of call, except "stop and go" and centralized points of call, and on the allocation of appropriate time values for tying out the mail into a single bundle. (Appendix "V.1")
8.2 Regarding Appendices "V" and "CC", the Union is willing to return to the status quo provided the parties agree on a specific list of tasks or activities for which standards or allowances will be established within an agreed timeline.
8.3 CUPW is willing to substantively amend its demand that the parcel delivery model outlined in Appendix "S" apply to letter carrier routes. CUPW proposes that the parcel delivery model be subject to a pilot project under Appendix "AA" on letter carrier routes. CUPW maintains its proposal of May 22, 2011 regarding Appendix "Z".
8.4 The issue of householders is closely tied to CUPW's demands regarding the multiple bundle method and the percentage of coverage. These issues must be dealt with as a whole.
Accordingly, insofar as its demands on these two issues are met, CUPW is willing to agree to the Corporation's proposals of May 17, 2011 regarding householders with the following changes:
(a) A guarantee must be added to sub-paragraph (b) in the new Part 2 of Appendix "D" to the effect that a letter carrier can never be required to prepare householders where the preparation time credit provided for in paragraph (c) is excluded;
(b) The delivery time credit allocated under paragraph (f) of the new Part 2 of Appendix "D" must apply for householder mail in excess of 15 minutes per day.
(c) Paragraph 8 of Appendix "D" must be amended so that Chart "A" applies until the new Part 2 is implemented with regard to the route.
(d) For the purpose of determining the number of stops on foot routes and on motorized routes as per the method described in the letter (New 9), the weight to be used in both cases must be 20/25 lbs instead of 20/28 lbs.
CUPW is also willing to agree that these new rules will apply to all letter carrier routes.
8.5 CUPW is willing to amend its position on the percentage of coverage. The proposal already submitted as Appendix "VX-1" would be amended to remove Part 2, dealing with common pathways, and amend Part 3 accordingly.
8.6 CUPW maintains its proposal regarding an expedited arbitration procedure for disputes around route restructurings. (Clauses 47.09 to 47.11)
8.7 On the issue of bar charts, CUPW maintains its position that all absences must be recorded, except those of relief and temporary employees. (Clauses 51.05 and 52.04)
8.8 If its modified proposal on Appendix "P" is agreed upon, CUPW is willing to agree that the delivery support function in letter carrier depots and postal stations where sequencing has been implemented be part of a new classification to be created in Group 2 with the same wage rate as a PO-5. The agreement shall be based on the CUPW contractual language. Whenever possible, operational requirements are met by maximizing full-time positions.

9. Other Issues

9.1 On the issue of the Grievance and Arbitration Procedure, CUPW maintains its proposals of May 22, 2011 (clause 9.107 and appointment of new arbitrators for the Atlantic, Quebec and the national list).
9.2 CUPW maintains its demand regarding Appendix "C".
9.3 CUPW maintains its counter-proposal on clause 44.17.
9.4 CUPW maintains its proposal to amend the date of January 31, 2011 in Appendices "AA", "FF" and "GG".
9.5 CUPW renews the agreements in principle given under paragraphs 4.2, 4.3, 6.1, 6.4, 7.2 and 9.9 of its proposal of May 22, 2011.
9.6 All issues regarding Groups 1 and 2 referred to interest arbitration before Arbitrator Brian Keller under Article 29 of the collective agreement that expired on January 31, 2011 remain before the arbitrator unless they have been fully and definitely resolved in these negotiations. Arbitrator Keller shall rule on any issue involving his jurisdiction.

10. Housekeeping

10.1 While the Corporation recognizes the contractual nature of the Pension Plan and its obligation to negotiate any change to the Plan with CUPW, the Union believes that the Pension Plan must be incorporated into the collective agreement, like other working conditions. CUPW maintains its demand to that effect.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
6.1 Absolutely meaningless to anyone who doesn't have a copy of the existing contract in front of them.

I like your ideas, however, to turn it from a money-making operation into another cost for the taxpayers.

My solution is to offer CUPW employees a 0% wage increase in each of the next 4 years. Take it or leave it.

killerkeith

Jun 1, 2011

Here we are two weeks into a negotiating game of the poor workers of the postal union taking on the mean old government post office.

Two weeks of offers and counter offers and both sides playing the public relation game of getting support from the public.

The government post office started off with an interesting and unique offer that basically says that postal workers that are working as a permanent get to keep their pay and benefit levels and they would get a 2% raise every year but the workers that are hired after the contract is signed will start at a lower rate of pay and will take 7 years to get top rate and their benefits will be lower.

The Canadian postal union wants the same pay rate for everyone because they get the first three hours that a member works each month as union dues and with more people getting hired at a lower rate the union will get less money.

The countdown is on for either a strike or a contract settlement

This letter is the latest on the postal union’s web site

CUPW - 2011-05-28 - Canada Post's 3-R Approach to Bargaining: Radical, Reckless and Risky

May 28, 2011 - 16:40
Urban Postal Unit Negotiations (2011) / Bulletin
Negotiations Bulletin no. 51
With the appointment of Deepak Chopra in February 2011 many people hoped we would see a change in the confrontational and arrogant approach that characterized CPC management during the years of Moya Greene.
However, since February, we have yet to see any change in the approach that CPC management has taken to our current negotiations. Instead of identifying problems and discussing solutions with the Union, CPC's approach on the financial issues at bargaining can only be described as radical, reckless and risky.
Radical
While most postal administrations are dealing with declining letter volumes by expanding into revenue-generating services, such as banking, Canada Post management has come with demands for radical cuts in wages, benefits, pensions and job security. With inflation at 3.3% CPC is demanding to cut the starting wages of future employees by 22%. For current employees, they are offering 1.9% and a cost of living allowance that would result in a reduction of the purchasing power of our wages.
Reckless
An example of CPC's reckless behaviour is how they have pursued their demand to eliminate our sick leave and impose a very inferior short-term disability plan.
From the very beginning of negotiations they have refused to discuss any other approach to the issue of absenteeism even though it has been time loss due to injuries on duty, not sick leave, that has risen sharply.
Risky
The arrogance and intransigence of CPC in these negotiations puts at risk the long-term welfare of postal workers and the public postal service. At a time of declining volumes, CPC should be proposing new ways to expand services and increase revenues instead of attempting to impose extreme and radical demands on postal workers.
CUPW's Approach: Reasonable, Rational and Realistic
In these negotiations CUPW is presenting a reasonable program of demands, which addresses real problems that must be resolved so that Canada Post can move forward into the future. Whether it be on internal staffing, external work methods, seniority, human rights or health and safety issues, we have demonstrated our commitment to negotiating rational solutions concerning complex issues. It's time for Canada Post to adopt a similar approach.
In solidarity,

Denis Lemelin
National President and Chief Negotiator
The bottom line is that new workers don't have seniority therefore don't deserve the same wage. It's common sense. These people should just be happy to have good decent paying jobs and if they don't like it get out of the way for people who won't cry like little girls about a few pennies. GET REAL OR GIVE ME YOUR JOB! Seriously I've been unemployed for years now looking for a decent job. Problem is I don't have grade 12... Oh wait neither does over half of our government workers currently employed now do they! I think we should do a whole review of all our government workers(primarily provencial) and reform this system cause the only way you get a job these days is if you know someone in the field regardless of education. Ever inspiring this socialist pyramid that is our government....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The bottom line is that new workers don't have seniority therefore don't deserve the same wage. It's common sense. These people should just be happy to have good decent paying jobs and if they don't like it get out of the way for people who won't cry like little girls about a few pennies. GET REAL OR GIVE ME YOUR JOB! Seriously I've been unemployed for years now looking for a decent job. Problem is I don't have grade 12... Oh wait neither does over half of our government workers currently employed now do they! I think we should do a whole review of all our government workers(primarily provencial) and reform this system cause the only way you get a job these days is if you know someone in the field regardless of education. Ever inspiring this socialist pyramid that is our government....
In all those years, you never thought to get your grade 12? Excuse me, but you sound like a whiny school girl.

killerkeith

Jun 1, 2011
Excuse me but I'm 24(all these years?), and I'm applying for homeschooling considering theres only "one" (1) adult education center I'm able or allowed to contend. Considering my "location" <--wtf. Also why would I bother prioritizing for an education considering what I've just mentioned.. :S "think" about it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Excuse me but I'm 24(all these years?), and I'm applying for homeschooling considering theres only "one" (1) adult education center I'm able or allowed to contend. Considering my "location" <--wtf. Also why would I bother prioritizing for an education considering what I've just mentioned.. :S "think" about it.
"Seriously I've been unemployed for years now looking for a decent job."

That may have given me a misconception.

What do you like to do? Do you have a hobby or such that you enjoy? A job is not the end all and be all. With a little creative thought you could find something that turns you on that some people would be willing to pay you to do. I retired from the rat race when I was 26, not because I was rich, but because I wanted to do what I wanted to do. I'm now 65 and doing fine.

killerkeith

Jun 1, 2011
"Seriously I've been unemployed for years now looking for a decent job."

That may have given me a misconception.

What do you like to do? Do you have a hobby or such that you enjoy? A job is not the end all and be all. With a little creative thought you could find something that turns you on that some people would be willing to pay you to do. I retired from the rat race when I was 26, not because I was rich, but because I wanted to do what I wanted to do. I'm now 65 and doing fine.
Well that's an understandable misconception. Actually right now im looking to work from home for Rogers through a company called Adecco as a customer rep. I'm also looking at eventually starting my own online store even thou I forget most of the coding scripts I learned off of htmlgoodies.com. I'd also like to one day start a brick&mortar shop related to my online store. Oddly enough none of that requires any real education or degrees for that matter. Didn't you get bored at 26 till now after running the so called "rat race". I know I'd be and I know I am now sitting on income assistance. I guess it's just frustrating that after being without a job for so many years and having the hardest time obtaining an education. The thing is I would of been off this system had the provencial government been doing their jobs. Instead In October when I should have been at work I was unable to make it cause my housing which I relied on for a bus fair was redirected into some other guy's bank account. As an example. Never mind X-mas, New Years, and my birthday all days they've screwed up my deposits. Should anyone have to give 5 income declarations in one month? Who pays for my bus fair for that cause I know they don't. As if it isn't hard enough to get a job in winter months and they tell me I'm not aloud extra funds for bus fair when I know very well What I'm eligiable for. Once I went to Service Canada to print off resumes. I printed off 30 copies, Apparently I was only "allowed" to print off 15 and was told to bring them back paper the next time I come in to make up for it? How about the new medical rating we got the other day in the news..... I waited over 11 hours with my dad in emergency while he was internally bleeding. Thank god it was only minor from his previous surgery had it been something worse he would have had time to bleed to death. Or his first surgery years before that when the government refused him his cpp after being off work for over 6 months they still wanted proof of his disability to work.The proof had to be sent illegially "Photos" of his internals showing artery blockage in order for him to get the pension he's been paying into his whole life. A pension plan that's invested into "war stocks" that funds gureilla warfare in countries like Malaysia in order to keep up with the constant government spending that's exhausted the funds. I'm sorry man my fight isn't with you, it's with our neglectful government. Now that you ask I think I want to be a politician but I like the idea of having some sort of personal life and a better sense of purpose. =)

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that people are naturally greedy and need to be more considerate. There's people looking, crying, begging for work and a bunch of people making a decent wage who are lucky enough to even have jobs are crying over spilled milk. People need their mail and regardless of their wages what they're doing is not only socially unresponsible but absolutly absurd considering the damage that this will cost the public. I'm just saying they should take a step back and think about everyone as a whole instead of themselves is all.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011

What you are saying makes sense, until you consider an alternative.

In the coal mining industry, a truck driver with 1 year experience gets paid the same as a truck driver with 30 years experience. And, this makes total sense because they are both expected to perform at the same level.

Seniority still matters. The senior workers are given the first pick of the trucks so they typically drive the new trucks. They get first choice for over time, they get paid more vacation pay, and they have more job security when there is a downsizing or restructuring.