Lawsuit re Medical Marijuana Grow Op

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This one is amusing:
The Nova Scotia government is facing a lawsuit by a couple claiming the province should pay for their equipment to produce medical marijuana because they're too poor.
Sam and his wife, Tanya, have disabilities and are on income assistance. They both have licences from Health Canada to grow marijuana for their own use and are allowed to keep a total of 25 plants.
But the Cumberland County couple say they don't have the money to cover the lighting costs.
"We're out of medication quite often," Sam told CBC News. "We can't keep up on the amount that we need to grow"

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I'm wondering if this is consistant with prescription costs?ie If I did not have the money for prescribed drugs, would the NS government provide me with free medication?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I looked into medical use and medical growing, on top of equipment, etc., I'd have also had to prove adequate security for the value of my crop. If you can't afford equipment, can you afford security?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In Sk they pay for Rxed pot. Hopefully NB will follow suit.

No matter what some of your opinions are canabinoids are medications that are proven to work.

If you don't want somebody to use pot medically then you've got some head issues and need to light up a nice mellow sativa to calm you down.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
this raises a fundamental question: does the license imply a right own in this country? If it does, then I hope we get a SCC ruling on this. I would love to cite my firearms licence as proof that I have the right to own a firearm.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
this raises a fundamental question: does the license imply a right own in this country? If it does, then I hope we get a SCC ruling on this. I would love to cite my firearms licence as proof that I have the right to own a firearm.

If you need a license to do something, by the very nature of making you ask and apply, you have no 'right' to do it, you are merely granted permission to do whatever it is, when all criteria are met.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Rifles aren't a health issue. So good luck with that.

When I had my MMAR license before I had my spine adjusted and beefed up with titanium, it cost around a $1000 to set up a really fancy little one light operation. These people also have the option of designating someone who can afford the investment to grow for them and charge them a small fee for their meds.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Additionally, I would say that a court should never rule in favor of this request.

The equipment is not the percieved right here, it is the remedy to a percieved right.

The equipment is merely 1 remedy to the situation. It isn't the only remedy.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
To say the least. And it's something that is so easy to solve and would remove a multitude of enforcement costs. Have it available in drugstores upon prescription at an affordable price.

Suppositories only. :)

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I want to start a grow op to support others.

My tag line will be "Your Sh*t is my bread and butter"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So why don't you? The bid for the Fed supply comes up every two years.

I hope you enjoy living you life 1800m deep in the earth, all day every day.

Trout Lake was a great place to work when it was open. Wet, dark, moldy and zinc rats the size of buffalo.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I don't know if it was a real study, or just a radio anouncer with a sense of humor, but

I heard on the radio that patients that use marijuana for their medical condition tend to experience chronic pain that lasts longer and more frequently than their counter parts that use other medicine. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So why don't you? The bid for the Fed supply comes up every two years.

I hope you enjoy living you life 1800m deep in the earth, all day every day.

Trout Lake was a great place to work when it was open. Wet, dark, moldy and zinc rats the size of buffalo.

Which Trout Lake are you talking about? The one between Revelstoke and Kaslo?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
To say the least. And it's something that is so easy to solve and would remove a multitude of enforcement costs. Have it available in drugstores upon prescription at an affordable price.

You should not be forced to pay for something you can grow on your own. I don't want to put too much of a conspiratorial spin on it, but, the day you can buy a plant but aren't allowed to cultivate it yourself is the day we're a step closer to having agri-corp companies completely controlling our food supply.