British human rights activist denied entry to Canada

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

A well-travelled British human rights activist and former Guantanamo Bay detainee said he was barred from boarding a direct flight from London to Toronto Friday because of concerns the aircraft could be diverted to the U.S.

Moazzam Begg was to speak at a Saturday conference on Islamophobia organized by the Canadian lawyer for Omar Khadr, 24, the Toronto-born Guantanamo prisoner convicted last fall of war crimes.

British human rights activist denied entry to Canada - thestar.com

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

A well-travelled British human rights activist and former Guantanamo Bay detainee said he was barred from boarding a direct flight from London to Toronto Friday because of concerns the aircraft could be diverted to the U.S.

Moazzam Begg was to speak at a Saturday conference on Islamophobia organized by the Canadian lawyer for Omar Khadr, 24, the Toronto-born Guantanamo prisoner convicted last fall of war crimes.

British human rights activist denied entry to Canada - thestar.com

Do yourself a favour.....Google before you post. You will look like a complete fool less often....

Begg admits spending time at two Islamic militant training camps in Afghanistan, supporting militant Muslim fighters, buying a rifle and a handgun, that he "thought about" taking up arms in Chechnya, and being an acquaintance of people linked to terrorism (most notably, Khalil al-Deek, Dhiren Barot, and Shahid Akram Butt)...........Referring to 2010 Afghanistan, he said he completely supported the inalienable right of the people to fight "foreign occupation".

Moazzam Begg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

my emphasis.

You DO understand the people he supports are killing Canadian soldiers?????
AND we didn't deny him entry......although I certainly hope we will!!!!!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Do yourself a favour.....Google before you post. You will look like a complete fool less often....

Moazzam Begg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

my emphasis.

You DO understand the people he supports are killing Canadian soldiers?????
AND we didn't deny him entry......although I certainly hope we will!!!!!
You Do understand those soldiers are part of an invasion force and are being killed by people fighting for the sovereignty of their country. You make it sound like they don't have a right to defend their country or are killing Canadian soldiers on Canadian soil.

If our govt is going to send troops to invade a foreign sovereign state by force they have to expect some will die. What the f*ck do you expect to happen?

I can guarantee you though that every last one of those soldiers would be alive today if we had stayed home and minded our own business.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You Do understand those soldiers are part of an invasion force and are being killed by people fighting for the sovereignty of their country.

Fighting for the sovereignty of their country! ??? They're scumbag Taliban who hijacked the government, installed brutal Sharia law, and brutalized their own citizens!!!!

The only thing they're fighting for is enslavement of the poor Afghan people and their delusion about 72 virgins in heaven!

You make it sound like they don't have a right to defend their country or are killing Canadian soldiers on Canadian soil.

They DON'T have a right to defend their country!
Like I said, they hijacked the government, they were never elected, and denied democracy and freedom!

The are absolutely morally wrong and we have every right to stomp in there and kill them!

If our govt is going to send troops to invade a foreign sovereign state by force they have to expect some will die. What the f*ck do you expect to happen?
Sadly some will die, and the last thing people want to hear is the unpatriotic left questioning the mission. If you enjoy your freedoms how can you possibly deny that we should help defend freedom in the world?

I can guarantee you though that every last one of those soldiers would be alive today if we had stayed home and minded our own business.
And then there would be more injustice in the world at the hands of the radical Muslims, all the while evil Islam gains influence until it's at your door step.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You Do understand those soldiers are part of an invasion force and are being killed by people fighting for the sovereignty of their country. You make it sound like they don't have a right to defend their country or are killing Canadian soldiers on Canadian soil.

All bets are off when you have a 'failed state'.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Fighting for the sovereignty of their country! ??? They're scumbag Taliban who hijacked the government, installed brutal Sharia law, and brutalized their own citizens!!!!
They didn't brutalize our citizens or hijack our govt so its not our business.

The only thing they're fighting for is enslavement of the poor Afghan people and their delusion about 72 virgins in heaven!
If you say so, I think they are fighting an foreign invasion force and illegal occupation of a sovereign nation.

They DON'T have a right to defend their country!
Then you don't have the right to defend yours.

Like I said, they hijacked the government, they were never elected, and denied democracy and freedom!
Happens more than you think in many countries around the world, they were however the recognized govt of the country. Many world leaders and governments aren't elected. Did you vote for the queen? As long as it isn't Canada its not our business and I don't care. You do realize that your rights and freedoms can be controlled in a democracy, in Canada it doesn't even take more than 39% of the vote, how democratic is that when a minority can control the majority. And where do you get the idea that democracy is some kind of god-given right?

The are absolutely morally wrong and we have every right to stomp in there and kill them!
They think you are absolutely morally wrong, bit of a conundrum there don't you think. Do you want to stomp in and kill everyone who disagrees with your morality??? I would question your morality in thinking that it is right to kill people that don't agree with your morals and views!

Sadly some will die
Not if they stay at home.

the last thing people want to hear is the unpatriotic left questioning the mission.
That's the democracy thing you are babbling about. Or is it only democracy if it agrees with you? You may not like to hear it but it is part of democracy to dissent, and most Canadians don't want our troops there so your minority opinion is really the dissenting voice.

If you enjoy your freedoms how can you possibly deny that we should help defend freedom in the world?
I do enjoy my freedom, especially my freedom to criticize the govt for sending troops to a foreign land to invade when its wrong. If my freedom in Canada is threatened then I might even join up again to defend it, on our soil.

And then there would be more injustice in the world at the hands of the radical Muslims
Invading their lands and killing them sure promotes peace and encourages people not to join the radicals. Having drones drop bombs on unsuspecting villages killing civilians is just? There is plenty of injustice done by the western troops including our own. Nobody has clean hands in this world, especially someone who promotes 'stomping in there and killing them' because they have a different viewpoint.

all the while evil Islam gains influence until it's at your door step.
Evil Islam? My neighbor is a Muslim and he watches my house and mows my lawn while I am away, even has a key. We share BBQs and family dinners, I am attending his daughter's wedding in July. Hell I like Tariq better than a lot of white folk around here. I think you should maybe have a little time-out and calm down before you go forward with the good/evil arguments.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
I support bringing them home and out of danger yesterday!!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They allowed a regime from within their borders, to operate outside their borders, they protected and funded them.

'Failed State'.

I support bringing them home too, but for entirely different reasons.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Actually they did. They also are not shy about the fact that their aspirations to impose their rule and sharia are global.

If you say so, I think they are fighting an foreign invasion force and illegal occupation of a sovereign nation.

We didn't invade, we picked a side in an ongoing civil war. Kinda like, well, Libya? Except in Afghanistan we actually had a personal grievance.

they were however the recognized govt of the country.

By Pakistan, who bred the Taliban in the first place, SA and UAE. That's it.

They think you are absolutely morally wrong, bit of a conundrum there don't you think.

Not at all. Good vs. Evil. Nothing new there.

Do you want to stomp in and kill everyone who disagrees with your morality???

Only when they pledge to kill us first, and actually get under way upholding that pledge.

I would question your morality in thinking that it is right to kill people that don't agree with your morals and views!

Which is exactly what the Taliban and their extemeist cousins do....Hamas, Hizbollah, Muslim Brotherhood, JeI, Al Qaeda, etc. etc. etc. all hold killing people who disagree with their morals and views as a primary objective. That means us.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If he is not a Canadian our country can deny entry to anyone we please, because someone
shows up a our boarder, we don't have to let them in. If he is preaching against our involvement
in Afghanistan that is a good thing. While I understand we have a lot of problems and we may
even have backed the wrong horse, we are there and our soldiers are doing their part to keep
the Taliban from ever gaining power. I think we need to prevent that gang from returning to the
seat of power.
Sorry I hope we keep all that crowd out of here. And no I am not in favour of us being involved in
all kinds of conflicts but the ones we are working on are just causes

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Who is the drunken idiot who both approves and disapproves of my posted comment?

Fess Up-truth will out!
I gave you the thumbs up, but you know you can see who gave them by going to your control panel and clicking on post ratings on the left hand side.

I wonder if it was cubby that gave you the thumbs down.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

It's a good thing the West didn't have that attitude during WWII, because we'd be speaking German right now. You can't stick your head in the sand and ignore the problems of the world, otherwise they'll end up at your doorstep.

You're giving illegitimate governments far too much credit. You do realize that countless people are thankful that the Taliban and Saddam have lost their grip right? Put yourself in their shoes.

Then you don't have the right to defend yours.
Of course I do, because I'm a freedom lover who can tell the difference between right and wrong. The Taliban and Mujahideen are radical Islamic terrorists who are against freedom and harm innocent men, women and children. That makes them illegitimate governors of anything, a country, region, home, or a chicken coop.

Happens more than you think in many countries around the world, they were however the recognized govt of the country.
And what did the Taliban do with their responsibility of seeing over the Afghan people? They enforced the strictest interpretations of Sharia law ever seen! This amounted to terrorizing their own people!

Many world leaders and governments aren't elected. Did you vote for the queen?
That's completely different and not much of an argument. The Queen didn't kill anybody like the Taliban did.

As long as it isn't Canada its not our business and I don't care.
Well, not everyone shares your apathy. You remain quiet, and the rest of us will protect freedom and the country!

You do realize that your rights and freedoms can be controlled in a democracy, in Canada it doesn't even take more than 39% of the vote, how democratic is that when a minority can control the majority.
Another weak argument. Were the 61% of voters who didn't vote for the conservatives UNITED on who should run the country? No, they weren't - they were DIVIDED. The other 39% of us WERE UNITED, and that made us the MAJORITY. The NDP voters made up 30% of the popular vote - MINORITY. The Liberal voters made up 19% of the popular vote - MINORITY. The Green party made up 4% of the popular vote - MINORITY. The Cons got the largest number in the popular vote with 39% - MAJORITY.

And where do you get the idea that democracy is some kind of god-given right?
Freedom is a God given right and democracy is one of the best ideals for ensuring it. I got that "idea" when I understood the characteristics of God. You may not believe in him, but how can you justify your rights if you can't appeal that their source is from the highest authority? If you can't claim that your right to freedom of speech is absolute, in other words it's just your mere opinion that you have the right to freedom of speech, what kind of justification is that? Opinions don't matter and you actually would justify the argument that someone would be right in denying your freedom of speech - because you admittedly don't have one - just a worthless opinion.

That's why one of the greatest documents ever written, the declaration of Independence, lays it out so beautifully: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

They think you are absolutely morally wrong, bit of a conundrum there don't you think.
It's a conundrum for YOU! You drank the kool aid of moral relativism! That's why you don't recognize the absolute God-given rights bestowed on you, that's why you don't see that it DOESN'T MATTER if the radical muslims think that the West or myself is absolutely morally wrong! Their ACTIONS, like killing innocent people in name of Allah to further their death-ideology, PROVES they are the absolutely morally wrong ones because they're VIOLATING the absolute moral law - which says that killing innocent humans is wrong. We're right, they're wrong. No conundrum here!

Do you want to stomp in and kill everyone who disagrees with your morality??? I would question your morality in thinking that it is right to kill people that don't agree with your morals and views!
Nothing would please me more than to have the ability to peacefully spread the idea of freedom and the good news of Jesus Christ in the middle east. The problem is that there is a considerable presence of people who would shoot me on the spot. Its unfortunate, but the best way of supplying the average oppressed middle eastern citizen with their God given freedoms and protecting ours, is too kill the leaders who deny freedom, won't negotiate, and only wish to be martyred, and spread the ideals of freedom to the average citizen.

Not if they stay at home.
Freedom needs to be defended. The troops admirably are willing to go, that's why they're soldiers. God bless 'em.

That's the democracy thing you are babbling about. Or is it only democracy if it agrees with you? You may not like to hear it but it is part of democracy to dissent, and most Canadians don't want our troops there so your minority opinion is really the dissenting voice.
Criticize the war and its objectives as much as you like. Just know that some of the tactics are getting old, like the old game of trying to put us on the same level as our enemies. "America is the terrorist" and all that nonsense. The truth is that we're the honourable freedom-loving good guys and they're the scumbag freedom-denying terrorists.

I do enjoy my freedom, especially my freedom to criticize the govt for sending troops to a foreign land to invade when its wrong. If my freedom in Canada is threatened then I might even join up again to defend it, on our soil.
And when exactly is the threat going to be big enough for you? Their very ideology is a threat, and the more it spreads the more violence it ensues.

Invading their lands and killing them sure promotes peace and encourages people not to join the radicals.
The influence of radical Islam would spread regardless. They hate Israel and the American funding she receives. This alone fuels their Jihad blood lust.

Having drones drop bombs on unsuspecting villages killing civilians is just? There is plenty of injustice done by the western troops including our own.
First, we don't TARGET innocent people, we target the militants. Second, how much injustice is done by the west in comparison to violent Islam? Probably the vast majority of what you call "injustice" by the west is only due to your belief in relativism. The forces of good are not perfect, but honourable.

Nobody has clean hands in this world, especially someone who promotes 'stomping in there and killing them' because they have a different viewpoint.
Their viewpoint is illegitimate because they kill and oppress. We have good reason to stomp in there and kill them. How can you argue with freeing oppressed people?

Evil Islam? My neighbor is a Muslim and he watches my house and mows my lawn while I am away, even has a key. We share BBQs and family dinners, I am attending his daughter's wedding in July. Hell I like Tariq better than a lot of white folk around here. I think you should maybe have a little time-out and calm down before you go forward with the good/evil arguments.
Did I say your neighbor was evil? No, just his religion and ironically the true followers of Islam due to the fact that Islam is violent. Your neighbor sounds like he's not a true follower.

Patience! There's bad guys to kill!

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yup! Kill a Taliban for Christ!

Christianity - the religion of peace!

Alley, you have no idea what is going on over there or why. It certainly has nothing to do with bringing freedom and democracy to an oppressed people. The people who are killing our soldiers are people who have lost their families to NATO bombing and all the other destruction that invading armies bring in the wake of their violence. We did not invade to hunt the Taliban or bin Laden or for any humanitarian purposes. Try Googling Afghanistan poppy production and Caspian Sea oil pipeline.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Afghanistan Opium Crop Sets Record

U.S.-Backed Efforts At Eradication Fail

U.S. Army Col. Paul Calbos walks through a field of opium poppies in southern Afghanistan. This year's crop set records in the world's leading heroin producer. (By John Moore -- Getty Images)

By Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, December 2, 2006

In addition to a 26 percent production increase over past year -- for a total of 5,644 metric tons -- the amount of land under cultivation in opium poppies grew by 61 percent. Cultivation in the two main production provinces, Helmand in the southwest and Oruzgan in central Afghanistan, was up by 132 percent.

Production of poppies has risen astronomically since invasion. What has that have to do with the Taliban taxing the crops.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Production of poppies has risen astronomically since invasion.
For two reasons...

1, If you don't have stats from before the invasion, all new ones can be spun to seem really high.

2, The Taliban is no longer controlling who can grow, by killing the competition of Taliban friendly growers.

Which do you prefer, the murder of the competition, or unrestrained production of poppy's?

Given the fact that you like pot, isn't bitching about someone elses vice a little hypocritical?

What has that have to do with the Taliban taxing the crops.
The common fallacy that the Taliban were unfriendly to poppy growers. They were only unfriendly to those unfriendly with their version of Islam.