I don't like the Canadian national anthem

eskavan

Apr 12, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it or anything. And there are worse anthems out there. But personally (and this is just my personal, subjective, artistic taste...your mileage may vary) I think it is kind of bland and generic. As a piece of music it doesn't do too much for me, and the lyrics are perfectly "meh" (though I think the French lyrics are a bit better). I am filled with patriotic pride when it is sung at a sports match, but that is because it is the anthem of my country, not because I like it as a piece of music. I love the tune of "The Maple Leaf Forever", but it is outdated and doesn't represent Canada today...it has more do do with Britain than anything else. So I don't know what else to suggest as an anthem.

Any thoughts? Do you like the anthem as a piece of music, or just because it represents Canada?

PS. I'm not seriously suggesting a change or anything...just want peoples' opinion, whether you agree or disagree. :)

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it or anything. And there are worse anthems out there. But personally (and this is just my personal, subjective, artistic taste...your mileage may vary) I think it is kind of bland and generic. As a piece of music it doesn't do too much for me, and the lyrics are perfectly "meh" (though I think the French lyrics are a bit better). I am filled with patriotic pride when it is sung at a sports match, but that is because it is the anthem of my country, not because I like it as a piece of music. I love the tune of "The Maple Leaf Forever", but it is outdated and doesn't represent Canada today...it has more do do with Britain than anything else. So I don't know what else to suggest as an anthem.

Any thoughts? Do you like the anthem as a piece of music, or just because it represents Canada?

PS. I'm not seriously suggesting a change or anything...just want peoples' opinion, whether you agree or disagree. :)

I don't think its bland and generic at all! Every lyric truly helps define "Canada". Musically, it awesome as well! The crescendo at the end?! Ooh baby!

If you think it's bland and generic and then you can call me the same.

Here's another great patriotic song! "Canada's song!"

YouTube - Maple Leafs Honour The Canadian Forces & Alan Frew performes Free to Be - Jan 30th 2010

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I can honestly say that I've never really thought about that way before. And I'm not sure that I can judge it on it's musical/lyrical merits either. To me, it's so representative of "home" that I don't think I could be truly objective about it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I like it. It's not right in your face like the American anthem, not that there is anything wrong with that. It's more Canadian in the way it pulls out that patriotism and what we stand for without a single mention of bombs or rockets.

Then there is a the other Anthem.

YouTube - Neil Peart - The Hockey Theme

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I like it. It's not right in your face like the American anthem, not that there is anything wrong with that. It's more Canadian in the way it pulls out that patriotism and what we stand for without a single mention of bombs or rockets.

Then there is a the other Anthem.

YouTube - Neil Peart - The Hockey Theme
Good point on the subtlety of the patriotism in the anthem, I rather like that as well.

As for the "other anthem"-what's not to love?

Do they still deport people for dissin' the HNIC theme? ;)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Oh Canada certainly doesn't have the emotional power of the USSR anthem, or the US anthem, but it's a perfectly good thing. What I hate is the constant need to change it.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Oh Canada certainly doesn't have the emotional power of the USSR anthem, or the US anthem, but it's a perfectly good thing. What I hate is the constant need to change it.

I agree. Changing the text for phony politically correct 'reason' is wrong.

But even more wrong is the bastardization and stylization by so-called artists who can't carry a tune and try to turn it into their mediocre form of 'art'.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I agree. Changing the text for phony politically correct 'reason' is wrong.

But even more wrong is the bastardization and stylization by so-called artists who can't carry a tune and try to turn it into their mediocre form of 'art'.

Man, I hate that - like at the SuperBowl, they pick some currently-popular twit who then feels obligated to completely destroy the anthem they are singing.

I don't know why there is such a need to mess up the anthems. Sing it, sing it straight, sing it well, sing it proudly.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is supposed to be musically simplistic. O Canada just like Mary Had a Little Lamb was written so damn near anyone can pick up an instrument and half assed play the anthem. That sort of foresight and simplictity is what makes it great.