Language in Quebec

Lessie

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2010
Russia
What languages are used in Quebec? Is it possible to live in Quebec (find a job, work, study in school (for children) and University) and speak only English? Or most of the people in this province speak French and if you don’t know French you can’t live in Quebec?
What about Montreal?

Fas84

Mar 30, 2011
Well, if you plan to live in Montréal, you can live with only english (I think) but would be a good idea to learn french as time pass, always usefull because outside Montréal, it's mostly french. I'm curently living in Québec city and exept for tourists, there's not a lot of english speaker and it is the same for the region I come from which is Abitibi-Témiscamingue.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well, if you plan to live in Montréal, you can live with only english (I think) but would be a good idea to learn french as time pass, always usefull because outside Montréal, it's mostly french. I'm curently living in Québec city and exept for tourists, there's not a lot of english speaker and it is the same for the region I come from which is Abitibi-Témiscamingue.
Hi Fas84. Welcome! Stick around. We could use more French perspective and opinion on this forum. The English supremists out west could use a good ass whoopin'. ;-)

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Поздравление Lessie, my experience is that the farther north you go, and the farther down the St. Lawrence River you go, the less English is spoken or understood. Quebec City is quite French, but it is also a very popular tourist and convention destination with people coming from places like Finland, Germany, Belgium and so on. So English is kind of the default language because more people speak it than French or Немецкий. While my cab driver in Sept-Iles spoke not a word of English, it is still spoken by many hospitality industry workers. My experience just ordering a Subway sandwich in Iles de la Madeleine, (on the St. Lawrence) in English was an exercise in total frustration.

Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city, with a lot of immigrants, many languages are spoken there, in fact, I met one of our company’s employees who is also a Русский immigrant, but I didn't ask if he spoke Французский.

I did a little asking around while I was in Quebec this past week. As Cliffy alluded to, there is some friction between French and English, but a lot of that stems from political differences. Quebec politics is just plain weird, they work so hard to hold on to their linguistic heritage that it is detrimental to Quebec and its citizens. If you are English, you can send your children to either a French or English school, If you are French you have no choice but to send them to a French school. This is a common complaint from many of my French co-workers. One, whose wife is from Colombia, complains that since they speak Spanish and French at home, their children will not learn English because they have to be sent to a French school. I think you have asked about immigrating to Canada before, nobody I talked to could answer the question if foreign immigrants to Quebec have to send their children to a French school or if they have a choice. That would be something to check into before deciding to land in Quebec. While it is handy, especially in the eastern half of Canada to know French, fluency English is imperative if one does not want to be stuck in Quebec forever. Believe it or not, Boston Air traffic Control has actually turned aircraft around and sent them back to Canada because they and the French crews operating the flights could not understand one another.

Many, but not all courses in universities in Quebec are offered in English, as my younger daughter found out. The tuition, though, is among the lowest in the country, so it is worth checking out.

Удачи

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The biggest employer is probably some branch of the Government, for that you need to speak (and write) both official languages.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
The biggest employer is probably some branch of the Government, for that you need to speak (and write) both official languages.

Unless you are a really talented candidate for a particular job in government, you pretty much have to be Quebecois. Parisian or Acadian just doesn't seem to cut it, let alone being Anglo, even with a good command of Quebecois French. However, having a third or fourth language, such as Russian or German might help. But my experience has been that they have little patience with those who speak French with an accent, or even a Parisian or Acadian dialect.

MADMOE

Jun 9, 2011
What languages are used in Quebec? Is it possible to live in Quebec (find a job, work, study in school (for children) and University) and speak only English? Or most of the people in this province speak French and if you don’t know French you can’t live in Quebec?
What about Montreal?

Open your wallet and they'll speak what ever you want!!

Moe