Our Canadian Experience Print E-mail Wr

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

by Angie from Ontario .
Our Canadian Experience Angie from Ontario Tuesday, 27 March 2007
It took us 5 years to qualify to emigrate to Canada and was a dream we had for a long time. We have been here now for almost 5 years and only this year have we started to settle. If I had known then what I know now we would never have come. Our experience has been varied and we have encountered most things that people spend a lifetime doing!! I have worked 3 jobs, had 4 cars, 3 homes and been in one car accident.

In the 3 homes (bought and sold) we paid $46,000 in fees. If you pay less than 25% deposit on a house CHMC take a cut, then the solicitor fees will be approx. $4000 (buy and sell) and the realtors well ... they are cut throat and manipulative. If your realtor knows your onto them!! they wont sell your home and one thing we've discovered about many Canadians is that they are like sheep. They are too tired and drained to fight what is going on and if someone tells them not to do something they wont, without even questioning it. Most of them have 2 or 3 jobs just to survive.

We had a car accident that wrote a $40,000 car off. We were injured but did the insurance pay out? nope .... did we get to take time off work? nope .... the insurance would only cover $300 a week income and I earn $1000, so time off work in Canada equals no pay. Not like England. The car was also a lease and as such we had to pay the maximum car insurance which was $220 a month. And the accident was caused by a guy drinking his coffee and not seeing we were stopped in a line of traffic, he drove into the back of us doing 50 mph.

Things are very expensive in Canada, the cost of living, bills, groceries, everything. When you first start out you cant find any 'no frills' like you can in Tescos, here its all expensive. We found it very tough, we got ripped off by numerous traders as 2 of the homes we lived in needed extensive renovation work.

Lets see what else ..... I was offered a job before we came to Canada and after resigning my well paid professional job in England and selling my home all within 6 weeks, I got in Canada only to find they had backtracked and were allowed to!! apparently thats common here. We had left England 6 months prior to our intended leave date solely because of this job offer and I ended up working for 9 months on minimum wage just to get by, I wasn't bringing in enough to cover the mortgage and bills never mind anything else, it was a good job we had savings with us.

Medical is very different here and expensive. We had to get anti antibiotics for a chest infection and the doctor gave us one that cost $140. It had an ingredient we specifically asked not to be given and so told the pharmacist, they just took our money anyway and said 'sorry you will have to see your doctor' we went back and got a second one that cost $70.

Where we are it 'seems' corrupt, generally the Canadians are naive and thats why the Crime Rate 'appears' low to visitors and people intending to emigrate. I work in Law enforcement and can assure you crime is steady here! it might not be as bad as England, but don't be mistaken ... its getting there in some places.

Well finally .... I wouldn't want to put people off, I just think people should be well prepared. I researched for 5 years and came out each year to visit, but at the end of the day the every day costs I didn't find out, you cant find out anywhere what bills will cost you, or car insurance etc etc .... you assume it will be the same as England but back home I paid the same bills yet had over 1000 pounds free and clear out of my wages each month, here I pay the same bills but only have $200 a month and thats before I've bought food. It can be tough for families especially.

We have also experienced a little racism. Some Canadians are rebelling against their poor treatment (and about time too!!) but they are going against the wrong people, they need to target their politicians. I am a white english person and they only know I'm not Canadian when I open my mouth and the treatment we have had by some is disgraceful as soon as they hear the accent.

Having said all that, now it would be too expensive for us to get back on the property ladder in England. We do love the summers here and our friends in work and most of our neighbours are great people, very friendly and laid back. you can go for a walk in the evening without the worry of being mobbed by a group of yobs. You can also stay at home if you want to and chill out in the garden in the sunshine without putting up with drunken neighbours partying all night. That isn't allowed here and the police do enforce the laws for noisy neighbours.

All in all Canada is beautiful, but I would call it a third world country. It is way behind the times, very outdated and people who have been here for many years refuse to believe crime and disorder exist or that children can be anything but angels, they believe everything the politicians do is solely for the public interest even though in our City the politicians are the local builders and they monopolise the community business and refuse permits to anyone who isn't on their 'list'. One of our City councillors even got charged as his company was 'throwing' up new homes without necessary permits and breaching all regulations ... the people who bought them had no one to complain to as the other councillors refused to act against their 'buddy'.

If you know what you're coming into, you will be fine, if you come here thinking its all rosy and luxury and happiness then you will be in for a shock. We are okay now as we have learnt to accept thats the way it is here and its not likely to change any time soon.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
and one thing we've discovered about many Canadians is that they are like sheep. They are too tired and drained to fight what is going on and if someone tells them not to do something they wont, without even questioning it. Most of them have 2 or 3 jobs just to survive.

Credibility approaching zero with a statement like that.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I am glad that I helped make you feel important shadowshiv .

Buddy, I've got people that actually matter to me that make me feel important. You are pretty insignificant actually, but you can think you are if it will help you sleep at night. Th-th-th-that's all folks!

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
And to imagine they thought Ontario was bad!

They would have had a screaming fit had they decided on British Columbia and found out there's no such thing as a decent house in the city under $700,000. Sure the Bubble will collapse; as they have been claiming will happen tomorrow for the past 35 years!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
That's a terrible experience you've had in Canada. We will fix everything for you if you'll just forward your credit card information to DB Eaver Star Dust Solutions Inc;

boats2010

Dec 29, 2010
By the sound of things Canada has been judged again on experience from one region only
Maybe that’s why the folks down under call them palmies
I heard the English chill their baths and warm their beer
They almost conquered all 7 continents, but still have not figured out central heating