The unity of mankind in the world's literature.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Seeing that a few threads had come up in the politics sections discussing the kind of world order we want, I'd decided to start a less political thread focusing not so much on debating world unity from a political standpoint, but rather presenting quotes from world literature on the subject of world unity. I guess I'll start with quotes of my own, but please add any other that you know.

I won't include all quotes, since some are pretty long. I do see a message for world unity in the first two chapters of the Book of Genesis though (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis&version=KJV), as I do in Isaiah 11:1-9 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2011:%201-9&version=KJV) and the Sermon on the Mount (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%205&version=KJV).

Most of the first quotes are from the Bible and the sacred writings of other religions, with a few exceptions, though there are plenty of others from other more secular sources further below.

Zephaniah 3:8-9

"Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy. For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent. "

Matthew 5:9
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

John 17:11
"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."

From the Qur'an"
"O men! verily, we have created you of a male and a female;
and we have divided you into peoples and tribes that ye​
might have knowledge one of another.
"

From Tennyson's Locksley Hall:

" For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;[SIZE=-2] 120[/SIZE] Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,Pilots of the purple twilight, dropping down with costly bales; Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain’d a ghastly dewFrom the nations’ airy navies grappling in the central blue; Far along the world-wide whisper of the south-wind rushing warm,[SIZE=-2] 125[/SIZE]With the standards of the peoples plunging thro’ the thunder-storm; Till the war-drum throbb’d no longer, and the battle-flags were furl’dIn the Parliament of man, the Federation of the world. There the common sense of most shall hold a fretful realm in awe,And the kindly earth shall slumber, lapt in universal law."[SIZE=-2] 130[/SIZE]

From the Kitab-i-Aqdas (written in 1863):

"The world’s equilibrium hath been upset through the vibrating influence of this most great, this new World Order. Mankind’s ordered life hath been revolutionized through the agency of this unique, this wondrous System—the like of which mortal eyes have never witnessed. "

From the Book of Ishráqát (Splendours) (written some time after the Kitab-i-Aqdas):

"
The Sixth Ishráq (Effulgence) is Concord and Union amongst men. Through the radiance of Union have the regions of the world at all times been illumined, and the greatest of all means thereunto is the understanding of one another’s writing and speech. Ere this, in Our Epistles, have We commanded the Trustees of the House of Justice, either to choose one of the existing tongues, or to originate a new one, and in like manner to adopt a common script, teaching these to the children in all the schools of the world, that the world may become even as one land and one home. "

The Entire Tablet of Ishraqat is here: http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/TB/tb-9.html

From the Lawh-i-Maqsud (also revealed some time after the Kitab-i-Aqdas):

"The Great Being, wishing to reveal the prerequisites of the peace and tranquillity of the world and the advancement of its peoples, hath written: The time must come when the imperative necessity for the holding of a vast, an all-embracing assemblage of men will be universally realized. The rulers and kings of the earth must needs attend it, and, participating in its deliberations, must consider such ways and means as will lay the foundations of the world’s Great Peace amongst men. Such a peace demandeth that the Great Powers should resolve, for the sake of the tranquillity of the peoples of the earth, to be fully reconciled among themselves. Should any king take up arms against another, all should unitedly arise and prevent him. If this be done, the nations of the world will no longer require any armaments, except for the purpose of preserving the security of their realms and of maintaining internal order within their territories. This will ensure the peace and composure of every people, government and nation. We fain would hope that the kings and rulers of the earth, the mirrors of the gracious and almighty name of God, may attain unto this station, and shield mankind from the onslaught of tyranny... The day is approaching when all the peoples of the world will have adopted one universal language and one common script. When this is achieved, to whatsoever city a man may journey, it shall be as if he were entering his own home. These things are obligatory and absolutely essential. It is incumbent upon every man of insight and understanding to strive to translate that which hath been written into reality and action... That one indeed is a man who, today, dedicateth himself to the service of the entire human race. The Great Being saith: Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth. In another passage He hath proclaimed: It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. "
The entire Tablet can be found here: http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/TB/tb-12.html

From a speech of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in Paris in 1913:

"Today one of the chief causes of the differences in Europe is the diversity of languages. We say this man is a German, the other is an Italian, then we meet an Englishman and then again a Frenchman. Although they belong to the same race, yet language is the greatest barrier between them. Were a universal auxiliary language in operation they would all be considered as one.

His Holiness Bahá’u’lláh wrote about this international language more than forty years ago. He says that as long as an international language is not adopted, complete union between the various sections of the world will be unrealized, for we observe that misunderstandings keep people from mutual association, and these misunderstandings will not be dispelled except through an international auxiliary language.

Generally speaking, the whole people of the Orient are not fully informed of events in the West, neither can the Westerners put themselves in sympathetic touch with the Easterners; their thoughts are enclosed in a casket—the international language will be the master key to open it. Were we in possession of a universal language, the Western books could easily be translated into that language, and the Eastern peoples be informed of their contents. In the same way the books of the East could be translated into that language for the benefit of the people in the West. The greatest means of progress towards the union of East and West will be a common language. It will make the whole world one home and become the strongest impulse for human advancement. It will upraise the standard of the oneness of humanity. It will make the earth one universal commonwealth. It will be the cause of love between the children of men. It will cause good fellowship between the various races.

Now, praise be to God that Dr. Zamenhof 1 has invented the Esperanto language. It has all the potential qualities of becoming the international means of communication. All of us must be grateful and thankful to him for this noble effort; for in this way he has served his fellowmen well. With untiring effort and self-sacrifice on the part of its devotees Esperanto will become universal. Therefore every one of us must study this language and spread it as far as possible so that day by day it may receive a broader recognition, be accepted by all nations and governments of the world, and become a part of the curriculum in all the public schools. I hope that Esperanto will be adopted as the language of all the future international conferences and congresses, so that all people need acquire only two languages—one their own tongue and the other the international language. Then perfect union will be established between all the people of the world. Consider how difficult it is today to communicate with various nations. If one studies fifty languages one may yet travel through a country and not know the language. Therefore I hope that you will make the utmost effort, so that this language of Esperanto may be widely spread. "

Winston Churchill:

"Unless we establish some form of world government, it will not be possible for us to avert a World War III in the future."

Albert Einstein:
"Mankind's desire for peace can be realized only by the creation of a world government. With all my heart I believe that the world's present system of sovereign nations can only lead to barbarism, war, and inhumanity."

President Harry Truman:

"It will be just as easy for the nations to get along in a republic of the world as it is for you to get along in the republic of the United States."