religious course

l101

Aug 30, 2010
My son is entering grade 12 in an Ontario Catholic school. He has taken religion all through high school however now this being his final year he would like to take a math course as it's a prereq for his post secondary studies however it's being held at the same time as religion. We have been advised if he doesn't take his the religion he won't graduate, however if he takes Math he can't get into the course he wants. Is there a loop hole. Don't get me wrong, he has had a great education, and the school has been really good for him especailly when he was going through a "difficult time" however at this point it seems he will have to go back for an extra semester no mater the route he chooses. Why is it that the student's don't need Math all the way through high school however they require religion for all 4 yrs.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
He's in a Catholic school. The Catholic school board sets the mandate for required courses, if I'm not mistaken. Since the religion course is mandatory for graduation, I would bite the bullet and just do the math course during the summer. It's unfortunate, but I don't think you really have much choice here.

Actually, maybe he can homeschool himself.. Is it a calculus or algebra/geometry course??

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My son is entering grade 12 in an Ontario Catholic school. He has taken religion all through high school however now this being his final year he would like to take a math course as it's a prereq for his post secondary studies however it's being held at the same time as religion. We have been advised if he doesn't take his the religion he won't graduate, however if he takes Math he can't get into the course he wants. Is there a loop hole. Don't get me wrong, he has had a great education, and the school has been really good for him especailly when he was going through a "difficult time" however at this point it seems he will have to go back for an extra semester no mater the route he chooses. Why is it that the student's don't need Math all the way through high school however they require religion for all 4 yrs.

It seems to me a sit down with his principal would be in order. it is in their best interest to have a good rate of graduation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Because the guy that makes the rules needs his head looked at. There is nothing wrong with religion but there sure as Hell is with the people who ram it down your throat.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... as much as I can understand why some people don't like Catholic schools, the logic that Catholic schools should make religion an option is even more funny. Then twhat would the purpose of a separate school be?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
lol... as much as I can understand why some people don't like Catholic schools, the logic that Catholic schools should make religion an option is even more funny. Then twhat would the purpose of a separate school be?

Wearing snazzy uniforms? :p

l101

Aug 30, 2010
He's in a Catholic school. The Catholic school board sets the mandate for required courses, if I'm not mistaken. Since the religion course is mandatory for graduation, I would bite the bullet and just do the math course during the summer. It's unfortunate, but I don't think you really have much choice here.

Actually, maybe he can homeschool himself.. Is it a calculus or algebra/geometry course??

Thank you, we are considering a correspondence course. I was hoping for a different solution. I'm sure he's not the first to come across this situation. I am all for the religion classes, having religion based curriculum was a great choice, however when it comes down to his career it changed my thoughts. What ever the outcome, their is always learing from the choices made.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thank you, we are considering a correspondence course. I was hoping for a different solution. I'm sure he's not the first to come across this situation. I am all for the religion classes, having religion based curriculum was a great choice, however when it comes down to his career it changed my thoughts. What ever the outcome, their is always learing from the choices made.

Do they not have religion available by module anywhere within the Catholic school board? he could essentially take it by correspondence during the school year that way.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Because the guy that makes the rules needs his head looked at. There is nothing wrong with religion but there sure as Hell is with the people who ram it down your throat.

It's a Catholic school.

That's quite funny. Considering how seriously Catholics take math, don't they have a guy nailed to a plus sign in every classroom?

It's called a crucifix, not a plus sign, and it is to remind us of the sacrifice that our Lord Jesus Christ made for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I know, I know, I'm supposed to be a good little boy and ignore the jerk offs when they start bashing religions.

Where did I bash the religion?

Guys.....really....We're all Adults here.

No problem, Ron. I just presented an alternate method for him to express himself more in keeping with ettiquette. That stuff generally runs off me like water off a ducks back. :smile::smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's quite funny. Considering how seriously Catholics take math, don't they have a guy nailed to a plus sign in every classroom?

That was one of my grandpa's fave jokes when we were kids... Why are us Catholics better at math? ;)

On a non joking note though, in my kids' school, if there is a crucifix in their class rooms they must be pretty unobtrusive as I've never noticed.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
They were in my kids classes..... but maybe that is wrong as it is just shoving religion down the kids throats.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta

that's unfortunate he has to take Religion.

unless you are planning on studying it in College, I don't see the need to make it a requirement.,

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
that's unfortunate he has to take Religion.

unless you are planning on studying it in College, I don't see the need to make it a requirement.,

It's a requirement because IT'S A ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!