Fox News, North

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I just got this dropped in my email by a friend of a friend.

Does it have any validity? Should it be allowed? Is this going to be yet another case of another high-level Ottawa bureaucrat being squeezed out because he's moderate, has common sense, and tries to be responsible?

Let's see, who have we got so far? Just since I've been on this forum, a few weeks, there's been Col. Stogran, ombudsman of veteren affairs and Munir Sheikh of Stats Canada. Is Harper going to be putting CRTC's Konrad von Finckenstein on the chopping block next?

Here's the message:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prime Minister Harper is trying to push American-style hate media onto our airwaves, and make us all pay for it.

His plan is to create a "Fox News North" to mimic the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. The channel will be run by Harper’s former top aide and will be funded with money from our TV license fees!

One man stands in the way of this nightmare -- the Chairman of Canada's Radio and Telecommunications Commission Konrad von Finckenstein. He's rejected the plan as a violation of CRTC policies, so now Harper is trying to force him out. Let's urgently send a massive wave of public support to von Finckenstein, with 100,000 Canadians encouraging him to keep standing up for Canada, and standing firm against Harper's pressure. Sign the petition below and forward this email to everyone -- we'll publish full page ads in Canadian papers when we reach 100,000:

Canada: no taxes to fund hate

Harper hatched his scheme in a secret lunch last year with media-mogul Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News. Harper's aide Kory Teneycke, who will lead "Fox News North" also came to the lunch.

Fox News fuels hate. While claiming to be “fair” and “balanced”, it allows hysterical anchors like Glenn Beck to compare Obama to "Lucifer" and "Hitler" and bully 11 year-old girls. Bill O’Reilly has threatened to boycott Canada, and Anne Coulter says Canada is “lucky the US allows it to exist on the same continent.” The network has calculatingly spawned the tea party movement in the US, a mobilisation of the fringe right which threatens violence upon its opponents and wears guns to political rallies. Even more sinister, every bit of content is calculated to appear 'unbiased' while being deeply manipulative. Objectivity is hard for any journalist, but there is a massive difference between those who try, and those who serve another agenda. Perhaps most tellingly, Fox News regularly labels Canada "communist" and "a country suffering under public health care".

This is a fight for the soul of Canadian democracy. Our media is not perfect, but a ‘news’ network that slavishly serves a radical political agenda and a particular political leader threatens the fabric of our democratic society. In Canadian media, there is no room for manipulation through fear, hatred, deceit and demonisation.

This is Harper's long term strategy to make radical conservatism the political centre in Canada, tearing down the country we love to make us look like the U.S. But first, Harper needs to convince von Finckenstein to step down before the end of his term in 2012. Insiders say he’s already been offered some pretty fancy jobs including an ambassador’s post in Chile. But we can stand up and urge him to stay right where he is -- protecting Canadians from biased news coverage and hateful pundits. Let's raise a massive outcry for Konrad von Finckenstein. Tell him to stand strong, and stay in his job:

Harper is attacking Canada’s tradition of fairness and commitment to democracy. He is trying to bully through the protections we have against exactly the kind of government propaganda that is Fox News North. We can answer by exercising our collective voice and showing him and his cronies that Canadians won’t be forced to accept American hate media.

In solidarity,

Ricken, Emma, Iain, and the rest of the Avaaz team

Sources:

Globe and Mail, “Is Harper set to move against the CRTC?”:
Is Stephen Harper set to move against the CRTC? - The Globe and Mail

CBC, “The absolute last thing this country needs”:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/10/f-vp-newman.html#socialcomments#ixzz0r6MC4p46

Globe and Mail, CRTC refuses Sun TV's bid for preferred status on dial:
CRTC refuses Sun TV’s bid for preferred status on dial - The Globe and Mail

The Star, “Harper’s foxy luncheon”:
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/851510--mcquaig-harper-s-foxy-luncheon

Mediaite, “Canada and Ann Coulter: a volatile relationship”:
Canada And Ann Coulter: A Volatile Relationship | Mediaite

Media Matters, “Glenn Beck compares Obama to Lucifer”:
Yes, Beck did just compare President Obama to Lucifer | Media Matters for America

Media Matters, “Glenn Beck smears Obama’s 11 year old daughter”:
Glenn Beck smears Obama's 11-year-old daughter | Media Matters for America

The Examiner: “Bill O’Reilly again confuses facts about Canadian health care system”:
Video: Bill O' Reilly again confuses facts about Canadian health care system - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Who the heck authored that heap of cattle dung?

Of course a new political voice is good for democracy.

What is NOT good for democracy is leftist scum that think "free speech" means you get to agree with them.

Reactions: Walter

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Free speech, not just for the left, anymore.

Why is Faux North's existence "forced to accept American hate media.". Nobody is forcing anyone to watch it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
“It’s not surprising that incumbent players — competitors — are not that interested in seeing more people on the playing field and for those who think the media is only for . . . people they agree with,” Teneycke
I like Teneyke's take on it.

I also like how this is being made to look like the CRTC is being forced to grant SunTV a license, when in fact, that is not the case. There is no issue with SunTV's licensing, it's with the launch date and the availability of a slot before Oct 2011.

You gotta love spin!

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I just got this dropped in my email by a friend of a friend.

Does it have any validity? Should it be allowed? Is this going to be yet another case of another high-level Ottawa bureaucrat being squeezed out because he's moderate, has common sense, and tries to be responsible?

Let's see, who have we got so far? Just since I've been on this forum, a few weeks, there's been Col. Stogran, ombudsman of veteren affairs and Munir Sheikh of Stats Canada. Is Harper going to be putting CRTC's Konrad von Finckenstein on the chopping block next?

Here's the message:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prime Minister Harper is trying to push American-style hate media onto our airwaves, and make us all pay for it.

His plan is to create a "Fox News North" to mimic the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. The channel will be run by Harper’s former top aide and will be funded with money from our TV license fees!

One man stands in the way of this nightmare -- the Chairman of Canada's Radio and Telecommunications Commission Konrad von Finckenstein. He's rejected the plan as a violation of CRTC policies, so now Harper is trying to force him out. Let's urgently send a massive wave of public support to von Finckenstein, with 100,000 Canadians encouraging him to keep standing up for Canada, and standing firm against Harper's pressure. Sign the petition below and forward this email to everyone -- we'll publish full page ads in Canadian papers when we reach 100,000:

Harper hatched his scheme in a secret lunch last year with media-mogul Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News. Harper's aide Kory Teneycke, who will lead "Fox News North" also came to the lunch.

Fox News fuels hate. While claiming to be “fair” and “balanced”, it allows hysterical anchors like Glenn Beck to compare Obama to "Lucifer" and "Hitler" and bully 11 year-old girls. Bill O’Reilly has threatened to boycott Canada, and Anne Coulter says Canada is “lucky the US allows it to exist on the same continent.” The network has calculatingly spawned the tea party movement in the US, a mobilisation of the fringe right which threatens violence upon its opponents and wears guns to political rallies. Even more sinister, every bit of content is calculated to appear 'unbiased' while being deeply manipulative. Objectivity is hard for any journalist, but there is a massive difference between those who try, and those who serve another agenda. Perhaps most tellingly, Fox News regularly labels Canada "communist" and "a country suffering under public health care".

This is a fight for the soul of Canadian democracy. Our media is not perfect, but a ‘news’ network that slavishly serves a radical political agenda and a particular political leader threatens the fabric of our democratic society. In Canadian media, there is no room for manipulation through fear, hatred, deceit and demonisation.

This is Harper's long term strategy to make radical conservatism the political centre in Canada, tearing down the country we love to make us look like the U.S. But first, Harper needs to convince von Finckenstein to step down before the end of his term in 2012. Insiders say he’s already been offered some pretty fancy jobs including an ambassador’s post in Chile. But we can stand up and urge him to stay right where he is -- protecting Canadians from biased news coverage and hateful pundits. Let's raise a massive outcry for Konrad von Finckenstein. Tell him to stand strong, and stay in his job:

Harper is attacking Canada’s tradition of fairness and commitment to democracy. He is trying to bully through the protections we have against exactly the kind of government propaganda that is Fox News North. We can answer by exercising our collective voice and showing him and his cronies that Canadians won’t be forced to accept American hate media.

In solidarity,

Ricken, Emma, Iain, and the rest of the Avaaz team

Sources:

Globe and Mail, “Is Harper set to move against the CRTC?”:
Is Stephen Harper set to move against the CRTC? - The Globe and Mail

CBC, “The absolute last thing this country needs”:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/10/f-vp-newman.html#socialcomments#ixzz0r6MC4p46

Globe and Mail, CRTC refuses Sun TV's bid for preferred status on dial:
CRTC refuses Sun TV’s bid for preferred status on dial - The Globe and Mail

The Star, “Harper’s foxy luncheon”:
McQuaig: Harper?s Foxy luncheon - thestar.com

Mediaite, “Canada and Ann Coulter: a volatile relationship”:
Canada And Ann Coulter: A Volatile Relationship | Mediaite

Media Matters, “Glenn Beck compares Obama to Lucifer”:
Yes, Beck did just compare President Obama to Lucifer | Media Matters for America

Media Matters, “Glenn Beck smears Obama’s 11 year old daughter”:
Glenn Beck smears Obama's 11-year-old daughter | Media Matters for America

The Examiner: “Bill O’Reilly again confuses facts about Canadian health care system”:
Video: Bill O' Reilly again confuses facts about Canadian health care system - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based upon what you just said, there is no freedom of speech in Canada, most if not all stories by FOX news can be verified by other sources. Here in the U.S. FOX news is the most listened to network, liberals who would like censorship do hate it. (Big Brother knows best advocates). Goverment funded news service is Big Brother telling you what they want. All news should be free from goverment control, and I agree no news group should be funded by tax's of any kind.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We have Al-Jazeera available here, so I really don't see what the problem is.

It amazes me that some people can get so worked up about a TV channel, if you don't like it don't watch it, Nuff said.

Reactions: wulfie68

gingersnap

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver
I really dislike the American Fox channel's talking heads (Hannity, Coulter, O'Reilly, Beck etc) because of their extremist pov's and fear mongering and I hope we won't see those same kinds of personalities appear in a Canadian version. And it's easy to say if you don't like it, don't watch it, but good god - look at how many followers Beck now has with his bizarre "the sky is falling" ramblings. Are we a little more savvy or skeptical than Americans when it comes to believing what we see and hear on the "news"? I hope so.

Reactions: Bcool

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I really dislike the American Fox channel's talking heads (Hannity, Coulter, O'Reilly, Beck etc) because of their extremist pov's and fear mongering and I hope we won't see those same kinds of personalities appear in a Canadian version. And it's easy to say if you don't like it, don't watch it, but good god - look at how many followers Beck now has with his bizarre "the sky is falling" ramblings. Are we a little more savvy or skeptical than Americans when it comes to believing what we see and hear on the "news"? I hope so.
Then you should have no issue with the tenets of free speech and the allowing this channel to exist in Canada, unhindered, in any manifestation whatsoever. Even if it is a carbon copy of Fox News, right?

gingersnap

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver
Then you should have no issue with the tenets of free speech and the allowing this channel to exist in Canada, unhindered, in any manifestation whatsoever. Even if it is a carbon copy of Fox News, right?
I have no issues with the US Fox news and political shows being shown here but if they're going to create a Canadian version where the whole idea is to create division between our political parties to cause a big ruckus which will get everyone watching so they can make money for their share holders then I would definitely have a problem with that.

I think there was an old Star Trek episode like that. The more the crew argued and fought, the more the aliens grew in power. :p

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have no issues with the US Fox news and political shows being shown here but if they're going to create a Canadian version where the whole idea is to create division between our political parties to cause a big ruckus which will get everyone watching so they can make money for their share holders then I would definitely have a problem with that.
That's a whole lotta "but if".

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

If someone could create a division, or at least a distinction, between the Conservatives and the Liberals, we might not have a minority government.

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
I have no problem with it.

Of course it will probably mean that more Canadians might think Saddam was responsible for 9/11.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
The first time I tuned into Fox on cable some guy was ranting about how unemployed people should trust Jesus and support the corporations who made them unemployed and sent their jobs overseas because it was God's plan for China's salvation, or something like that. I thought I'd tuned into a Saturday Night Live or MAD TV skit.

After a bit it dawned on me that the guy was being serious, and it reminded me why I don't watch a lot of TV, but it's still creepy to think that he wouldn't be on the air saying stuff like that unless *someone* was lapping it up.

Last edited: