"Watch out, government"

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
The Union of Ontario Indians officially opened its new multi-use facility Thursday. The 7,500-square-foot hub connecting four previously detached buildings will improve the delivery of services and increase capacity for postsecondary education.

The hub signifies a sense of unity among the staff and people," said Walter Manitowabi, the union's chief operating officer. We have always worked together, but now we are more united. Watch out, government."

The Union of Ontario Indians is the political advocate for 42 Anishinabek First Nations representing 42,000 members. It delivers a variety of health, social services and education programs from its North Bay location.Among key services at the Highway 17 facility is the Anishinabek Education Institute, one of seven institutions in Ontario that deliver postsecondary education to about 30 students. Expansion of the classroom space will increase capacity to 90 students, resulting in as many as eight new teaching jobs.

It has been 20 years in the making and it didn't happen overnight," Manitowabi said. It has been the plan since the office relocated here from Toronto."

The most recent renovation and addition carried a $3.2-million price tag, which included funding from FedNor and the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund. "There was no debt financing for the project," Manitowabi said. That is pretty amazing."

:thumbup:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The fact the entire project came in at just about $150.00 - yes, folks, that's one hundred-fifty dollars - over budget says something of fiscal management....

Are ya watching, Government?

Correction: $107.00 over budget....

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Yeah, I don't know either Cap'n. But maybe he was saying something like "See what we can do when we put our minds to it."
But I don't write the news, I just repeat it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
But maybe he was saying something like "See what we can do when we put our minds to it."

I'm guessing that your interpretation is on the mark. There are some really great stories of FN groups leading the pack in certain areas. Groups out of Penticton (?) and Northern Alberta are outpacing the private and public sectors in their respective jurisdictions.