New Governors General Crest

Polarbear on the GG Crest instead of a Lion?

• Yes, replace the Lion with a Polarbear

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, keep it as it is

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Maybe, but I might have a better idea

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • The GGs office should be scrapped so Haper can become Führer

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
You know the story... you're sitting at your desk, you pause to take a sip of coffee, your mind wanders into wondering why Saskatchewan agronomists haven't made a strain of coffee that will grow at this latitude in order to put some breaks on all the capital outflow happening from Canada's addicted to Tim Hortons, and you find yourself gazing at the Governor General's Crest, noticing once again how anachronistically irrelevant it is in the context of a temperate, New World nation.

So you think, check your schedule, crack some software, and make a new GG Crest.

CURRENT

NEW

I know it needs some work by a professional design artists, but what's the feedback?

Last edited:

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Okay, all the comments suggesting Beaver are respected, but let me explain why I didn't use it, because that *had* crossed my mind.

The GG is supposed represent the Crown, which is symbolic of strength and authority, so a powerful animal is what's supposed to be there... that's why they chose a lion in the first place.

The Beaver is what you'd want to use as the symbol for the House, where they're supposed to be busy, building a nation like beavers build a damn...

No?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Okay, all the comments suggesting Beaver are respected, but let me explain why I didn't use it, because that *had* crossed my mind.

The GG is supposed represent the Crown, which is symbolic of strength and authority, so a powerful animal is what should be in there.

The Beaver is what you'd want to use as the symbol for the House, where they're supposed to be busy, building a nation like beavers build a damn...

No?
You've never watched a Beaver take down hardwood have you?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
...or render a couple of hundred acres useless...
:p Well, yeah, I knew that was a possible connotation of using the beaver as a symbol of the House, which was another reason why I'd recommend reserving the beaver to be a symbol of parliament (you caught that fast). One summer I did some work for a farmer that included dealing with beavers, and it's curious how tenacious those things can be once they make up their mind where they want to live. "Pelting" them ended up being the only solution.

But, now that I think about it, I know French Canadians who are still annoyed about how the beaver used to be their symbol and how it got co-opted away from them by the rest of Canada (they feel the same way about the maple leaf, for that matter) so, for the House, maybe the symbol should be... the Crow.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:p Well, yeah, I knew that was a possible connotation of using the beaver as a symbol of the House, which was another reason why I'd recommend reserving the beaver to be a symbol of parliament (you caught that fast).

But, now that I think about it, I know French Canadians who are still annoyed about how the beaver used to be their symbol, and they think it co-opted away from them by the rest of Canada (they feel about the maple leaf, for that matter) so, for the House, maybe the symbol should be... the Crow.
How about the seagull. Since the position is like a scavenging sh!thawk anyways.

Or even better, since Harpo should be fuhrer, what about the wehrmacht iron eagle!!!???

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
To bad we can't use those cool Eagles, to much like those big bad M'mericans.

I know, how about the...

Not the wiley wild Turkey, but the confused, white, foul smelling, bound for slaughter, domestic Turkey.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not so sure crow's a good idea either....

Thanks to Cousin Sue for that one....

Shadowshiv.... Got your solution here!
Right... okee dokee...

Well, there's enough French Canadians in parliament, and most of the rest are bilingual, to justify using the beaver as the symbol of Parliament.

Now within Parliament there are three houses, the Monarch, the Senate, and the House of Commons.

Leaving the Monarch alone because I don't want to get into it right now, other than to recommend the Crest of the vice-regent have the lion replaced with a polar-bear, what would be the best animal to represent just the Senate, and what would be best to represent just the House of Commons?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
what would be the best animal to represent just the Senate,
Seagull's.

and what would be best to represent just the House of Commons?
Dump Bears.

They're Canadian citizens ... from near Kenora, I believe. I'll have to ask Sue....
Ya but we're Canadian, we can't a symbol that the big bad US of Yay has.

How about a pair of asses?
A joint crest?

What an excellent idea.

Throw in a scavenging seagul for the monarch and we have a wiener!!!