Liposuction- necessity or sham?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Can liposuction accomplish anything that proper diet and exercise can't? To me it just isn't natural (but what do I know?) Is it used as an alternative for a little headwork? Is this another case of members of society being ripped off? What do you think?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Too lazy and addicted to instant gratification. To me it is the epitome of our social stupidity. Pig out at Micky D's and then have the results vacuumed out. Why not just have your stomach and colon removed so you can just eat non-stop while sitting on the John - gluttony on the poop-a-rama!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Can liposuction accomplish anything that proper diet and exercise can't? To me it just isn't natural (but what do I know?) Is it used as an alternative for a little headwork? Is this another case of members of society being ripped off? What do you think?
I've heard of Sumo wrestlers having fat put on top of the skull to be taller to enter higher size class.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Too lazy and addicted to instant gratification. To me it is the epitome of our social stupidity. Pig out at Micky D's and then have the results vacuumed out. Why not just have your stomach and colon removed so you can just eat non-stop while sitting on the John - gluttony on the poop-a-rama!

You just said what I was thinkun but I'm politer than you. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've heard of Sumo wrestlers having fat put on top of the skull to be taller to enter higher size class.

So there's all different varieties of nut cases that use it. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm curious.... have any of you ever been obese? I don't mean over weight, I mean obese?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm curious.... have any of you ever been obese? I don't mean over weight, I mean obese?

I think Gerryh is onto something. Liposuction for the truly obese who can't even function,
can give them a head start (relief of stress on joints, etc...) so that they can continue to
change their lifestyles towards whatever their goal happens to be.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think Gerryh is onto something. Liposuction for the truly obese who can't even function,
can give them a head start (relief of stress on joints, etc...) so that they can continue to
change their lifestyles towards whatever their goal happens to be.

Haven't you noticed Ron? This group is all about telling others how wrong they are. How what they believe and do is out to lunch.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Your first post here in this Thread got me thinking. A 1000lb person (or there abouts)
wouldn't be doing much jogging or jumping-jacks without seriously harming themselves,
and the pressure on their internal organs (heart, lungs) might prevent much activity at all
anyway.....but....a head start chance with this procedure might be the start of the body
being able to catch up with their desire for a different life.

I'm assuming liposuction would be a fairly invasive procedure not to be taken lightly.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Many use liposuction to rid the body of cellulite. All the dieting and excersise in the world isn't really going to help. The morbidly obese you are thinking about usually go the route of gastric bypass which is VERY invasive.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Cliffy - What a tender hearted commentary - Many people that have struggled for years would love to hear that - Consider also that those that have the stomach reduction surgery have been found to substitute another thing than food - alcohol for one - After the surgery alcohol is quickly absorbed providing an almost instant high -

Point is some people - not all - have problems and deal with it thru eating - same as an alcoholic uses booze - To condemn them all in one fell swoop is not the right way of looking at this problem. Each case is different, same as each person is - Not one thing works for all.

Yes we have an obesiety problem and it is also in the younger generations at high levels - Our success has spawned that - Are you aware that evolving economies, increase in wealth etc leads to an increase in weight and also height in later generations.

Lastly - This liposuction can and does cause immense harm when not used properly - recall the real Estate agent that died due to dumb ass Dr in TO not knowing what she was doing.

Even done correctly - it can still result in death -

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Not really since my beer drinking days when I was probably packing 30 extra lbs- don't suppose I was actually obese but sure looked that way. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Not really since my beer drinking days when I was probably packing 30 extra lbs- don't suppose I was actually obese but sure looked that way. :lol:

Ah yes, hilarious. Obesity really is something to laugh at and about.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
GH

You asked and he replied - To JLM that is how he considered how he looked - Who are you to tell him or her that they are wrong when asking an open ended question such as you did.

perception is in the eyes of the beholder - And I do not belive JLM was being rude or ignorant in his reply.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
GH

You asked and he replied - To JLM that is how he considered how he looked - Who are you to tell him or her that they are wrong when asking an open ended question such as you did.

perception is in the eyes of the beholder - And I do not belive JLM was being rude or ignorant in his reply.

I disagree, imo he WAS being rude and ignorant with the laughing smilie.

I find the entire way this thread was introduced and handled to be rude and ignorant.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I find the entire way this thread was introduced and handled to be rude and ignorant.
Then post a well thought out thread - list the health repercussion of the various surgeries - the implication of carrying such an amount of weight on the heart and other internal organs - the hell that people go thru - the ways that they try to lose weight -

Thai is the answer, is it not?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Tad sensitive are we? Sometimes I am too ... but I HAVE to laugh at it. Otherwise, I'd get pissed off and dump all the heart meds and cholesterol crap - the junk that packed on more poundage than cheeseburgers and truck-driver food ever did - right down the toilet.

Reactions: selin

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

So there's all different varieties of nut cases that use it. :lol:
Stuff like that? I think that comes from watching too much eTalk Daily to tell you the truth. Yesterday it was considered "news" that kids using botox rose by 10% from last year to 12,000 injections.

Botox: A dangerous new teen fashion - Broadsheet - Salon.com

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That's your opinion, but it's still just an opinion. :lol: