Done Nice Today?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Done Nice Today?

Thank you – Your welcome – Excuse Me – and more. It does matter

So did you perform a random act of kindness by being courteous today – Did you take the time to say to a total stranger good morning or afternoon – You never know how that may make a person’s day improve and set the tone for their whole day. It is amazing what a few kind words or a compliment can do.

One day in the grocery store as I approached to get in the line-up a women, in her 70’s I guessed was ahead of me- I had said excuse me Miss – She turned to me with a very large smile and relied – Do you know how long it has been since someone called me Miss – You have made my day and she thanked me

I have noticed how manners have mostly disappeared – Many are to busy to say hello or excuse me – that 10 seconds can come back to haunt you –

I see grown men and women in a line-up **** and crap at the cashier because a price was not correct and it takes time to check it and they are in a rush - to hell it seems – it is not the cashiers fault – and everyone in line keeps their mouth shut – Yes I do keep quiet but not all the time and I have taken more of a proactive attitude when this occurs – Basically I am tired of this rude crap and tell them so – sometime I am polite sometimes not depends upon the person and how much they denigrated the cashier– Sure one day some young fellow will try and punch me out –

So during your day do you take that extra few seconds to buy the person behind you in a Tim’s drive thru a coffee –

Do you take the time to apologize?

If you were an ass in public, apologize in public – only fair to the person that receives it that you are mature enough to take your lumps publicly.

Do you take the time, it is one of the most important things you can do for your piece of mind and health –

Do you?

Or are you to busy?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Haven't been out in public today. Well, cept for my run to the park and back and the swim in between. I waved to a few cars during my run, though. No-one at the park.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Haven't been out in public today. Well, cept for my run to the park and back and the swim in between. I waved to a few cars during my run, though. No-one at the park.
I should have adeed lately or recently

Like slowing down to let a person change lanes when driving, stopping to let a person cross a road.

Saying good morning to someone.

Just being pleasant to someone.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Holding doors for folks,putting your cart back.It seemed like only "older"people used to do stuff like that,but,"young"people are older now.I was to the market the other day ,it was packed as usual,what a bunch of arseholes,I like being nice just to confuse 'em.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If you have to think about whether or not you have or have not, or even if you have to Ask the question, then the answer is you have not done it or done it any where near enough.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If you have to think about whether or not you have or have not, or even if you have to Ask the question, then the answer is you have not done it or done it any where near enough.
Again you rise to the ocassion. much like shzt floats - You have a problem with me - then settle it.

Send a PM.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I should have adeed lately or recently

Like slowing down to let a person change lanes when driving, stopping to let a person cross a road.

Saying good morning to someone.

Just being pleasant to someone.

Ya, because just doing it quietly is not enough. One needs to make an announcement and a big deal. Gotta get their pat on the back.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was taught to do that when I was a kid, and still do it, but what pi$$es me of is when the recipient of the good deed doesn't even acknowledge it....
Nothing like bad manners to piss a person off- But then on the other side others do appreciate it. Do they not?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Say "You're welcome!" anyhow. Maybe they just left the manners in their other trousers....
I meet those types on a daily basis - i also meet those that appreciate it and respond in kind - That is the difference.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yup, need the pat on the back. Not being done just because, otherwise ya's wouldn't get ticked because they didn't acknowledge what you did.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yup, need the pat on the back. Not being done just because, otherwise ya's wouldn't get ticked because they didn't acknowledge what you did.
You know gerry, you are right. We should do nice things for people and not get all up tight if they do not appear to appreciate it and we should not require a pat on the back for every little thing we do. I'd like to thank you for pointing that out.
I want to thank Goober also. I don't see him as looking for a pat on the back. He's opened a thread about something that people need to see and he's provided some examples. I'm always happy to see a thread on good manners.
The only person I had the opportunity to thank today was my husband. He BBQ'd the steak for dinner and since I don't like to BBQ if I can get out of it, I was happy he did it for me. I thanked him. We've been together for nearly 44 years and we still thank each other for everything. It's just good manners.
I was a cashier. I've had both men and women yelling insults at me and for exactly the reason you pointed out Goober. Because, while the store had the price right, the customer believed the price was wrong. People should learn to read the name on the tags above and below a product. It would also save a lot of time and effort if people read the cost of bulk products and maybe weighed them before getting to the cashier with 2 - 3 pounds of something that is going to cost them $25.00 and they have to embarrass themselves by saying "that costs that much! Do I have to take it?".
Because I said hello to a very old woman who bought my house, another woman loudly tapped her debit card on the counter to draw my attention immediately back to her. I wasn't having a conversation. I just said hello. I've also had people spend other peoples time even further by telling me how much of an idiot they thought the person who wanted the price check was, not realizing that their complaining about that person has now delayed the rest of the lineup. I've also had older people wanting someone to say a few words to them and I've had younger people (especially women) in the line behind them tell me how much they appreciate that I took the time. They meant it sincerely. I had one woman pay for a starving college students groceries all because she could see the girl was hesitating about whether she could afford the purchase. They did not know each other. I've been gone from my job for almost 4 months now. When I go there to shop, I come across lots of customers that still remember me and still say hello. I like that.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Random acts of kindness!

A wonderful subject! I will never forget an incident that I was involved with in West St Paul about 10 years ago: an elderly gentleman walked the streets of WSP, always carried his golf jacket on his shoulder, always smiled and said hello to everyone, and hung around the corner of Butler & Robert Street never bothering anyone. One day I did some shopping in that corner and had a coupon for Dairy Queen (a two for one deal). I decided to reward myself by getting a super ice cream fudge. With the coupon I got an extra one for free and gave it to the elderly gentleman. Can you believe the HUGE smile on his face when I gave it to him!!!!

I walked home that day - about a mile or so. I well remember his appreciative smile. And while he got himself a freebie from me, the memory of his terrific show of appreciation is one that has rewarded me infinitely more than anything. The elderly gentleman is gone now. But I shall never forget him.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Random acts of kindness!

A wonderful subject! I will never forget an incident that I was involved with in West St Paul about 10 years ago: an elderly gentleman walked the streets of WSP, always carried his golf jacket on his shoulder, always smiled and said hello to everyone, and hung around the corner of Butler & Robert Street never bothering anyone. One day I did some shopping in that corner and had a coupon for Dairy Queen (a two for one deal). I decided to reward myself by getting a super ice cream fudge. With the coupon I got an extra one for free and gave it to the elderly gentleman. Can you believe the HUGE smile on his face when I gave it to him!!!!

I walked home that day - about a mile or so. I well remember his appreciative smile. And while he got himself a freebie from me, the memory of his terrific show of appreciation is one that has rewarded me infinitely more than anything. The elderly gentleman is gone now. But I shall never forget him.
Good for you gopher. I'm sure his response to you simply helped you to continue your Random Acts of Kindness which is something people can look up on Google when seeking such things as unfound family members in genealogy. I'm sure it's not just in Canada.