Meaning of "thee"

edbuchanan

Jul 17, 2010
Hello People from Canada, natives, citizens and residents.
Im glad I just found this forum, I hope it works as I am specting it to.
My name is Edwin Buchanan, from Monterrey Mexico. My topic is about the word "thee" wich is in your national anthem. Any definition that could help me to finish to understand it?

I will apreciate your help.
Brgds,
Edd Buchanan

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Thee means "you". It is an older expression that gets very little use today. Mostly it is used in the bible. I guess that the guy who wrote it was a good Christian.

edbuchanan

Jul 17, 2010
Thee means "you". It is an older expression that gets very little use today. Mostly it is used in the bible. I guess that the guy who wrote it was a good Christian.

Thanks, because I went to a few dictionaries in the web and it wasn't there.. now the hole line makes sense to me.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hello People from Canada, natives, citizens and residents.
Im glad I just found this forum, I hope it works as I am specting it to.
My name is Edwin Buchanan, from Monterrey Mexico. My topic is about the word "thee" wich is in your national anthem. Any definition that could help me to finish to understand it?

I will apreciate your help.
Brgds,
Edd Buchanan

thee: the archaic second-person singular and familiar accusative pronoun

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
edbuchanan wrote:

"Thanks, because I went to a few dictionaries in the web and it wasn't there.. now the hole line makes sense to me."

How come with a name like Ed Buchanan you did not know that?

Do you know what a seven-day honeymoon is? A HOLE week.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
edbuchanan wrote:

"Thanks, because I went to a few dictionaries in the web and it wasn't there.. now the hole line makes sense to me."

How come with a name like Ed Buchanan you did not know that?

Do you know what a seven-day honeymoon is? A HOLE week.

OK, YJ; tell me without looking in the dictionary, what 'propaedeutic' means.

Maybe you know it, maybe you don't. My point s not everyone knows everything. The difference though is that the wise recognize the value in asking and learning, while the ignorant keep silent pretending they know and so learn nothing while mocking others who have the courage to ask.

edbuchanan

Jul 17, 2010
Yes that sound great, the HOLE WEEK topic, it a shame that I didnt have one when I got meried.. and My name, yes is from scotland as well as my last name but I AM FROM MEXICO, so really I didn't know and I apologize for that LOL!!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yes that sound great, the HOLE WEEK topic, it a shame that I didnt have one when I got meried.. and My name, yes is from scotland as well as my last name but I AM FROM MEXICO, so really I didn't know and I apologize for that LOL!!

No worries, Ed. Yukon Jack has very high expectations in here. If you're Mexican, according to YJ's standards, your login name is supposed to reflect that in a stereotypical fashion, like 'Roberto', or 'Ricardo', or Jesus (Oh he'd like that):lol:

edbuchanan

Jul 17, 2010
Machjo, I agree with you.. Here in mexico we say "no hay peor ignorante que el que no quiere preguntar" meaning " there isn't worst ignorant than the one that doesn't want to ask". Thanks for that coment.

YukonJack, I wil tell what it means.. with out looking in a dictionary, the word pneumonoultramicroscopicoconicosis' means that you are out of arguments to continue with this discution..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"pneumonoultramicroscopicoconicosis"

Did you just invent that?

If I had to guess, I'd have to break it up:

pneumo- = lung

-no- = ?

ultra- = extreme

micro- = smaller than

scopic = a visual

coni = cone-shaped?

-osis = denoting a process, condition, or pahological state

The state of a lung being too small to see?

At least I have no fear of asking what it means. So, what does it mean?

Now, YJ, since I'm always open to learning, could you please enlighten me as to the meaning of your word, oh wise one?

As for propaedeutic (or US, propedeutic), it means:

as a noun, preparatory instruction.

and as an advective, of or relating to preparatory instruction.

Well, the dynamic duo of edbuchanan and Machjo REALLY put me in my place!

Adios, muchachos!!

Don't leave now before educating me on that word you gave, unless you don't know it's meaning of course?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Machjo, even though I already said goodbye, I realized, that when I read your reply that I forgot an integral and very important part of the word. It was an honest mistake, and since the word is so long, I hope that you will not question this.

I apologize.

The corrected and proper word is: 'pneumonoultramicroscopicoVULCANOconicosis'.

It is a lung disease caused by ultramicroscopic vulcanic dust.

And no, I did not just make it up, and I congratulate you on your breaking down the word to its parts. That was one of the methods I used when I was learning English.

Lucky for me I studied both Latin and Greek in my old country as a young student.

edbuchanan

Jul 17, 2010
Machjo, I told him, it means that he was out of arguments.. Lol thaks any way. Now changing the subject and abusing of your kindess.. wich part of Canada are you from? I am asking this because my wife and I are planing to move to Canada in a few months and we want to make sure what could be our best options.

YJ, the point of knowing the meaning of that word is not really the big issue here.. When you bring it out it was beacuse you din't have any other sustantial argument based on your first agresive coment to me.. which biy the way, no hard feelings.. LOL!!!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
edbuchanan, as you learn more English, hopefully and eventually will realize that there is a subtle difference between saying "I am from ..... Mexico" and "I am Mexican".

I meant no offense. Your poor usage of English was not a clue that your mother tongue was not anything but English because there are enough people here on this forum, whose mother tounge IS English, but they never learned it properly. Sorry if you took it that way.

So, if you have no hard feelings, neither have I.

edbuchanan

Jul 17, 2010
waka waka!! have a great evening..
(you know what waka waka means, right?, we just ended the soccer world cupa few day ago)
Take care.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Machjo, I told him, it means that he was out of arguments.. Lol thaks any way. Now changing the subject and abusing of your kindess.. wich part of Canada are you from? I am asking this because my wife and I are planing to move to Canada in a few months and we want to make sure what could be our best options.

YJ, the point of knowing the meaning of that word is not really the big issue here.. When you bring it out it was beacuse you din't have any other sustantial argument based on your first agresive coment to me.. which biy the way, no hard feelings.. LOL!!!

I was born in Ottawa, and now live in Ottawa. That said, I'd lived most of my life in British Columbia (mostly Victoria), the province of Quebec (la Malbaie and then Montreal) and various cities in the People's Republic of China.

As for your best option, that will depend on various factors. For example, though Toronto is the worst city I've ever lived in (except maybe Ottawa), it doesn't change the fact that I choose to live in Ottawa owing to family, and I didn't mind Toronto owing to a higher salary and friends.

All else being equal, Montreal would be my favourite city owing to its being so well-planned, as far as Canadian cities go. But again, owing to my personal experiences there, it's not for me for now.

So it will really depend on what your own personal circumstances. But if all is the same for you, and I had to choose for you knowing nothing about you, my bias would be for Montreal.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, Machjo, without dictionary tell me what 'pneumonoultramicroscopicoconicosis' is.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicoconicosis, it's from the old Trollish and means that you have run out of useful things to say. Or so I was told by a friend. His mom was a troll, a bit of a sore subject with him, as you can imagine.