Orange Day

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Let's march in the RC neighbourhoods. Who's with me?

Here's to Good King Billy
Who saved us from Popes and popery
And Knaves and knavery
And wooden shoes and brass money.

And may whomever denies this oath
be stuffed in the barrel of the great gun of Athlone
and the gun fired into the Pope's belly,
and the Pope fired into the Devil's belly,
and the Devil fired into Hell,
and the Gate slammed and locked tight,
and the key safely in an Orangeman's Pocket.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Careful

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
My fathers maternal grandfather was an ardent Orangeman. He was also described by all of his grandchildren as being, "The meanest son of a bitch in Canada".

I suspect that the two attributes went together. Hatred begets more hatred.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Let's march in the RC neighbourhoods. Who's with me?

Why? No, I'm serious - why? I mean, did you just have an ADD moment this morning when you made your oatmeal? I mean first you're thinking about where you hid the Maple Syrup and then you've got the idea in your head that you want to march through RC neighbourhoods (which we really don't have in Canada) - or are you just trying to stir things???

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Why? No, I'm serious - why? I mean, did you just have an ADD moment this morning when you made your oatmeal? I mean first you're thinking about where you hid the Maple Syrup and then you've got the idea in your head that you want to march through RC neighbourhoods (which we really don't have in Canada) - or are you just trying to stir things???
Perhaps you should add the adjectives unread, humourless, and obtuse to your moniker. Sheesh.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario

Huh? Obtuse? You post a statement, 'Let's march in the RC neighbourhoods. Who's with me?' without any explanation and I'm obtuse? don't think so mo chara. nothing to indicate it's a 'joke', so why shouldn't I suppose it's not just anotherbigoted rant? I don't know you, I haven't any other posted that I've read from you to indicate that you're some whitty, urbane fellow who'se making a witty, urbane post.
and as far as unread? how'd that ever get into the equation? I had my fill of my great-grandmother's stories about how 'Brave King Billy beat the dirty Catholics at the Battle of the Boyne' to last a life time. Heck - she told it so well I thought she'd actually been there (not to mention I thought she was old enough). When I was a kid I had this vision in my mind of 'Brave King Billy' on a horse (I'd read a book about him and saw the picture) beside a river the size of the St. Lawrence, battling fiendish looking people). you can't even imagine my let down when a few years ago I actually got to see the Boyne - it's like a creek!She also told me stories of how 'innocent Protestants' went to Harbour Grace to do a nice peaceful Orange Day march through the town (Harbour Grace was primarily Protestant) and were set upon by - you guessed it - the Dirty Catholics.
Years later I rad up on it - it was called the Harbour Grace Fracas.And it was so violent that the NFLD government made legislation so things like that wouldn't happen again. Oh, have you figured out that the woman was a loyal Orange woman?
sorry if I didn't get your 'humour' but sheesh!

Had to use last month's feminine napkin?

Long past that now! :lol:

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario

Well then that makes 2 of us being obtuse.
the definition of obtuse?
b·tuse/əbˈt(y)o͞os/Adjective
1. Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
2. Difficult to understand. More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary
while I may have been 'slow to understand', your post was 'difficult to understand'. There was no context.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Orange and green
make an ugly mix.
Good thing there's white between.