Are there any Métis on this forum?

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I descend from a person receiving Manitoba Script, a "half-breed" as they were called in the day. I descend from the Johnston(Johnstone), Calder, Foulds family lines, in the Red River Valley on my fathers maternal line.

On his paternal line, we were from Cumberland County, NS. My grandfather and his two living brothers moved to Winnipeg in 1902, to obtain employment. My grandfather and his brother Jack went to work for the Winnipeg Fire Department. His brother Jack (John Hector Stewart), died as a result of frostbite sustained fighting a fire in December 1907. He is memorialized on the Winnipeg Fire Museum Web Site in their "Last Alarm" section.

My father moved to the States during the "dirty thirties", my father being an "illegal alien". He was never legally admitted to the US, he just came and told everyone he had been born in Minneapolis. He voted and lived as a US citizen, but never actually was one.

My grandmother was not allowed to attend schools in Manitoba, because she was a "half-breed". She was born in what is now the R.M. of Franklin, where her father had a farm. She hated being a "half-breed", because of the extreme prejudice that she experienced as a child. It was only shortly before she died, that she told me that she was 1/4 Indian, and about her mother and grandparents.

I would love to correspond with anyone that can teach me more about the Métis culture. Unlike my grandmother, I am proud to have some native ancestry, and i am trying to learn as much about that ancestry as possible.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
CDNBear might know quite a bit about Metis stuff. I am Anishinaabe and Irish, so I don't know much about Metis except for the Riel thing. :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
wouldnt that make you metis?

Metis is a specific line of French and First Nations mixed.

I have relatives of the McLeod lineage, but I share no direct blood with them. Being descended from prairie French, I have plenty of relatives that are native and French, but not technically Metis.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
wouldnt that make you metis?
Nope. I am a "half-breed", though. :D
It was usually the French Canadian father who acquired a native wife or mistress. My Dad is full-blood Anish. My mother is the Irish part.
Metis are usually from Cree, Anish, Algonquin, Saulteaux, Menominee, Mi'kmaq or Maliseet mothers.

Metis is a specific line of French and First Nations mixed.

I have relatives of the McLeod lineage, but I share no direct blood with them. Being descended from prairie French, I have plenty of relatives that are native and French, but not technically Metis.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The Métis are not JUST French and Native. It now includes those of Anglo/Scottish and native ancestry as well, that developed in the Red River Valley area. I descend from several Scottish/Cree family lines. The music of the Métis as an example, owes as much to Scotland, as it does to France. The same is true of the clothing patters and decorations of the Métis.

I am not ignorant of everything concerning the Métis. I just want to further my knowledge of the culture. I have been actively involved with Métis matters for well over 20 years now, but it is much more difficult to pursue this from the States.

As to the Jesuits, they have very little to do with the Métis, but thanks for your comments meant to make this thread as silly as most.

I happen to be an unusual person of the "Half-Breed" tradition, in that I happen to be Roman Catholic. Most of the Scots/English were not, but people forget that the Catholic Church never was completely suppressed in Scotland. I am also VERY familiar with the Jesuits, having earned my Ed.D at the University of San Francisco, a Jesuit School.

Now, could we possibly stick to the actual subject, or must we be mired in the rantings of the semi-demented?

Reactions: CDNBear

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Métis are not JUST French and Native.... .
come on, I pointed out I'm related to the McLeod side of things... oh... wait... blonde moment. lol

And actually, most of my Metis family are Catholic as well (as are many metis people I've met), so it wouldn't have struck me as odd.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
And actually, most of my Metis family are Catholic as well (as are many metis people I've met), so it wouldn't have struck me as odd.

As terms and labels seem destined to do over time, Metis has become more inclusive, (but don't tell the French that ;-)). For government purposes, Metis can mean any mix of native/non native lineage. While Catholicism is quite prominant, (again with the French), many reserves and native communities I have lived on did have a rather large Anglican presence due to immigration from the Protestant parts of the UK for work with the HBC. The distrust of the major churches has also led to a bit of growth in non denominational evangelical congregations too, and breath of fresh air I might add.

Reactions: CDNBear

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As terms and labels seem destined to do over time, Metis has become more inclusive, (but don't tell the French that ;-)). For government purposes, Metis can mean any mix of native/non native lineage. While Catholicism is quite prominant, (again with the French), many reserves and native communities I have lived on did have a rather large Anglican presence due to immigration from the Protestant parts of the UK for work with the HBC. The distrust of the major churches has also led to a bit of growth in non denominational evangelical congregations too, and breath of fresh air I might add.
Boy, you would think that the various forms of Christianity were the only religions out there. Most of the aboriginal and Metis I know are traditionals or practice both. Some don't see a conflict, but strictly traditionals do. An old medicine man I knew once said to me, "See all those drunk indians out there? Those are reincarnated white folks who tried to destroy us and now their only salvation is to get back to the traditional ways so they can learn what it was they tried to destroy."