People are individuals

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
People are individuals comprised of a multitude of different thoughts, beliefs, ideas and motives resulting from a myriad of influences, experiences, personal associations, geography and family background. They should not be compartmentalized according to such fickle criteria as politics and religious beliefs as is so arrogantly and ignorantly done quite often on this forum. It is very persumptuous indeed to believe that other (opined lesser) forms of human life have no brain of their own to think with and I think it is the responsibility of every moral and intelligent human being to stamp out this bigotry that seems to run rampant here as it does in other venues. To label people is very ignorant.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But then should we not tolerate the intolerable? Where does tolerance and compassion for the mentally and verbally challenged begin and censorship end? Besides, it seems to be a source of amusement to so many. Would you deprive them of their joy?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But then should we not tolerate the intolerable? Where does tolerance and compassion for the mentally and verbally challenged begin and censorship end? Besides, it seems to be a source of amusement to so many. Would you deprive them of their joy?

Maybe a good place to draw the line is "do no harm".

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
JLM. I agree. Though if you feel that way why do you spend so much time in the 'Lions Den' as it were.

Clffy, I have the ultimate censorship for those who are so challenged.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM. I agree. Though if you feel that way why do you spend so much time in the 'Lions Den' as it were.

Clffy, I have the ultimate censorship for those who are so challenged.

I guess everyone is a hypocrite to some degree.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JLM

Introspective message there for us this morning -

Authors or posts which get to you in a negative way are a good opportunity to do some self-examination to reassess what is important and what can be thrown to the side.

When we are having fun and exchanging pleasantries, that is a lovely way to spend time with people but we learn little about ourselves and how we handle our lives in
our environment and surroundings and how it affects the way we think and believe.

We can learn much from our response and anger - if we dare to look deep into ourselves. The trick is not to become a slave to the negatives life throws at us
because they too have a use.

Reactions: AnnaG

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM

Introspective message there for us this morning -

Authors or posts which get to you in a negative way are a good opportunity to do some self-examination to reassess what is important and what can be thrown to the side.

When we are having fun and exchanging pleasantries, that is a lovely way to spend time with people but we learn little about ourselves and how we handle our lives in
our environment and surroundings and how it affects the way we think and believe.

We can learn much from our response and anger - if we dare to look deep into ourselves. The trick is not to become a slave to the negatives life throws at us
because they too have a use.

You are an abundance of wisdom. Some criticism is constructive and some is just obnoxiousness and it's important to recognize the difference. :smile:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
You are an abundance of wisdom. Some criticism is constructive and some is just obnoxiousness and it's important to recognize the difference. :smile:

JLM

Ah - you have said what my life for the past number of years has been! I'm still working on it too! farra

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
JLM....

I think we learn the most about ourselves in what we will tolerate, and what we won't tolerate in life. I was surprised to find that someone who talks to others as you describe in your OP, was where my limit in forum interaction was met. I refused to grant audience to someone who treats people so unfairly, much as I would stop inviting them to my dinner parties, etc. Considering all the trolls I've met, all the rages I've reasoned people through, all the forum conflicts that I have enjoyed putting up with, I was surprised that my limit of tolerance was met with something so many find so innocuous.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM....

I think we learn the most about ourselves in what we will tolerate, and what we won't tolerate in life. I was surprised to find that someone who talks to others as you describe in your OP, was where my limit in forum interaction was met. I refused to grant audience to someone who treats people so unfairly, much as I would stop inviting them to my dinner parties, etc. Considering all the trolls I've met, all the rages I've reasoned people through, all the forum conflicts that I have enjoyed putting up with, I was surprised that my limit of tolerance was met with something so many find so innocuous.

There is an angle I haven't given much thought to. I suppose what we can't tolerate we should try to repair, but that is a tough chore. Should we even try to repair what we can't tolerate?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There is an angle I haven't given much thought to. I suppose what we can't tolerate we should try to repair, but that is a tough chore. Should we even try to repair what we can't tolerate?

Personally, I try to respect that person's right to be an individual too, but, draw the line at giving them an audience. I have no need to repair them, I simply ignore them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have no need to repair them, I simply ignore them.[/quote]

That sounds familiar, I'm sure we've heard it before somewhere on this forum.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: