Do Canadians end all their sentences with 'eh' ?

Chachoo

Apr 12, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm from Belgium and I'm doing a survey on a Canadian stereotype for an assignement.
The stereotype I found is that all Canadians end all their sentences with 'eh'
Is that true ?
Thanks a lot for helping me! :smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Chachoo, don't you know that stereotyping is racist and evil?

Unless, of course, it is directed towards and made fun of white people?

Chachoo

Apr 12, 2010
sorry if i offended someone, then i'll pick another stereotype, it's just that i had no idea, so i've picked up one, and didn't think it was evil or anything .. I don't even see why you're saying that

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The "eh" one is fine, YukonJack is just grumpy today. And no we don't say "eh" as much as our southern neighbours say "huh?" :p

This is probably more than you want to know but it was something I listened for in my fairly extensive dealings with Americans and Brits a few years back (with some of both we'd tease each other about our speech habits). I found Brits, especially the English but the Scots as well, say "eh" (not to be confused with "aye" for yes) as much as Canadians do, and I think (in my linguistically uneducated opinion) that influence on English language in Canada might be part of the root of why we do say "eh".

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
"Eh?"

It's such a simple statement. What does it really mean? It's a question, and questions are passive. Coming at the end of a statement, does it reflect a lack of assurance in what was just stated?

"You like pizza, eh?"

In other words:

"You like pizza. You do like pizza, right?"

I'm pretty sure all Canadians don't say "eh". I just like analyzing words. Analytic philosophy is the best.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I use eh as a terminator since the period seems to have no phonic expression.

ex: pass me another beer eh without the eh the target ears might stall breifly waiting for a further "and a glass"

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
You're right. It doesn't have to be a question.

"You like pizza, eh."

That just raises further questions!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm from Belgium and I'm doing a survey on a Canadian stereotype for an assignement.
Is that true ?
no, its not true, eh.;-):lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't use "EH" at the end of my sentences, because I DO KNOW the proper words I am supposed to use.

Why? Because I had to learn them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Is that true ?

Don't know about that, eh, but I do know that when my Grandfather came home from WW1, he said that if there's another war, he'll fight on whatever side Belgium isn't on, eh.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I wonder who got the assignment to fact check American stereotypes. I could help them by admitting that on more than one occasion, I have accidently knocked over a priceless artifact while in another country, and then sneaked away before anyone found out.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Is that true ?
I can't think of any time I've ever used "eh" unless I am mocking it. I use "right", "yes", "yeah", "huh", and sometimes an "okay".

I don't hear much "eh". What I do hear a lot of is "y'know". I saw a interview with a hockey player (amateur) the other day and I swear about every 5th word was "y'know".

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
'What I do hear a lot of is "y'know". I saw a interview with a hockey player (amateur) the other day and I swear about every 5th word was "y'know".'

Recently I saw in an interview the smartest woman in the world who also happens to be the wife of the smartest man in the world, Michelle Obama.

She uttered not a single sentence without saying 'you know' at least twice.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
'What I do hear a lot of is "y'know". I saw a interview with a hockey player (amateur) the other day and I swear about every 5th word was "y'know".'

Recently I saw in an interview the smartest woman in the world who also happens to be the wife of the smartest man in the world, Michelle Obama.

She uttered not a single sentence without saying 'you know' at least twice.
See? Jack knows what I'm talking about, eh?