Latest poll on Capital punishment

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is just a poll and that is all it is, but according to CBC 62% of all Canadians want the death penalty reinstated. (I wonder if Olson's monthly stipend had anything to do with it................:lol::lol::lol:)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is just a poll and that is all it is, but according to CBC 62% of all Canadians want the death penalty reinstated. (I wonder if Olson's monthly stipend had anything to do with it................:lol::lol::lol:)

I have to say I'm surprized.....Canada is getting older and more conservative......as well, immigrants are often from conservative cultures.....

That is NOT to say I like this trend. I would never vote for a return to the old laws on Capital Punishment.

I might vote for a return if the penalty were reserved for mass killers.......on multiple convictions and DNA evidence.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
This may come as a surprise to many posters here, but I oppose death penalty. I do not write off anyone because there is always a slight, dim hope of redemption.

However, I do favour making the lives of people like Olsen as unpleasant as legally possible.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have to say I'm surprized.....Canada is getting older and more conservative......as well, immigrants are often from conservative cultures.....

That is NOT to say I like this trend. I would never vote for a return to the old laws on Capital Punishment.

I might vote for a return if the penalty were reserved for mass killers.......on multiple convictions and DNA evidence.

Well Colpy, we've been told time and time again by the forum authority on everything that Conservatives like capital punishment, so if their numbers are increasing, I'm surprised that would surprise you. (Or are you questioning the resident authority?) :lol::lol::lol:
THAT would be tantamount to blasphemy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This may come as a surprise to many posters here, but I oppose death penalty. I do not write off anyone because there is always a slight, dim hope of redemption.

However, I do favour making the lives of people like Olsen as unpleasant as legally possible.

Yep, I've often thought being deposited naked in a concrete bunker with no furniture, books or anything, just a bare cell heated to 58 F and daily fare consisting of maccaroni and water only would be as bad as the death penalty.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh yeah, one other thing Y.J. you can only redeem criminals where it is possible for them to right the wrong, it's impossible to right the wrong of the vicious rape and murder of a 9 year old girl.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We haven't yet passed a bill allowing capital punishment yet but I see no reason not to test the equipment to make sure it all still works. Thank goodness we have the likes of Olson and Bernardo and others just standing around when they could be doing us a great service by volunteering to test old Sparky and the gallows. This equipment needn't be tested more than once a week or so but I understand we have over twenty other institutional guests who have been found guilty of very similar offenses who we could have volunteer as well..

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

:canada::smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I could see three options for murder: the two most common being the death penalty and life imprisonment.

If we go with the second option, I'd still say get all we can out of him work-wise. Make him contribute to the economy.

The third option I could see if and only if there is evidence that the person who committed the murder had done so under rarely occurring special circumstances without which he'd likely never have committed the murder, would be a lifetime of exile from the city in which he'd committed the murder, mainly to not provoke emotions among the family and friends of the victim. Though I could see him get sued too for emotional damages, thus making a financial contribution to the family of the victim. I think we need to find ways to discourage crime but in ways that do not necessarily burden us economically as much as possible.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh yeah, one other thing Y.J. you can only redeem criminals where it is possible for them to right the wrong, it's impossible to right the wrong of the vicious rape and murder of a 9 year old girl.

you mean like this guy?

Guy Paul Morin

Christine Jessop, a nine-year-old girl, disappeared from her Queensville, Ont., home in October 1984. Her body was found in a farmer's field two months later. Guy Paul Morin, the Jessops' next-door neighbour in the community about 60 km north of Toronto, was later charged with her murder.
Morin was acquitted in 1986, but a new trial was ordered by the Ontario Court of Appeal. At this second trial, Morin was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.
He appealed and in 1995 was exonerated by DNA testing.
A public inquiry into the case was called, and its report was tabled in 1998. It concluded that mistakes by the police, prosecutors and forensic scientists combined to send an innocent man to jail.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
you mean like this guy?

Guy Paul Morin

Christine Jessop, a nine-year-old girl, disappeared from her Queensville, Ont., home in October 1984. Her body was found in a farmer's field two months later. Guy Paul Morin, the Jessops' next-door neighbour in the community about 60 km north of Toronto, was later charged with her murder.
Morin was acquitted in 1986, but a new trial was ordered by the Ontario Court of Appeal. At this second trial, Morin was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.
He appealed and in 1995 was exonerated by DNA testing.
A public inquiry into the case was called, and its report was tabled in 1998. It concluded that mistakes by the police, prosecutors and forensic scientists combined to send an innocent man to jail.

No not like that guy, just the guilty ones. Olson led the cops to where he buried bodies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We haven't yet passed a bill allowing capital punishment yet but I see no reason not to test the equipment to make sure it all still works. Thank goodness we have the likes of Olson and Bernardo and others just standing around when they could be doing us a great service by volunteering to test old Sparky and the gallows. This equipment needn't be tested more than once a week or so but I understand we have over twenty other institutional guests who have been found guilty of very similar offenses who we could have volunteer as well..

Yeah, there's a bit of a back log alright. Darren Huineman is another (little bastard has his own mother and grandmother murdered out of greed), then there's Pickton and as far as I'm concerned Colin Thatcher was another guy who should have been deep sixed.........that was a particularly cruel murder. I just can't see these bastards serving any useful purpose for hanging around. Have said the above I'm basically against the death penalty - should just be reserved for the worst cases where there is undisputable proof and generally speaking guilty of more than one murder.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No not like that guy, just the guilty ones. Olson led the cops to where he buried bodies.

Oh......you mean like this guy.

Simon Marshall

Simon Marshall was imprisoned from 1997 to 2003 after he wrongly confessed to a string of sexual assaults in Ste-Foy, a Quebec City suburb. A DNA test later cleared Marshall, a mentally handicapped man. The Quebec Court of Appeal ruled he was a victim of miscarried justice and ordered his criminal record expunged.
It was later found that DNA evidence first collected in the investigation that led to Marshall's conviction was never tested. An inquiry also revealed multiple breaches in police conduct during the investigation.
In December 2006, the Quebec government awarded the 24-year-old $2.3 million, the highest wrongful conviction compensation to date in the province. The money went to Marshall's parents, who are in charge of his care.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, efficiency I say. Make sure nothing goes to waste. If we have to put a murderer to death, then why not put him to good use at the same time. The military needs target practice now and then anyway, no? It could save on paper targets, which aren't free by the way.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Actually, what about resource exploitation in remote areas? It's far from society so running away could prove to be tricky unless he can survive on grass and pine needles for a while on his treck on foot to civilization.

Since in prison they have no family to take care of, they're mobile. And having them work in the mines would keep them busy so as to make time fly by faster. We'd be doing them a favour.