Are Canadians friendly?

JLM
How does Canada and Canadians stack up against other people in terms of friendliness? Are we adversarial or judgmental? Do we discriminate more or less than other political groups? Or do we consider ourselves a "cut above" our American and Mexican neighbours? What is our reputation on the world scene?
Last edited by JLM; Mar 25th, 2010 at 07:10 AM..

SirJosephPorter
Isn't that for non Canadians to decide? You really should post this topic on a forum mostly populated by non Canadians.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

Isn't that for non Canadians to decide? You really should post this topic on a forum mostly populated by non Canadians.

I think you have a point, but at the same time perhaps some Canadians have received "feedback" from non Canadians. Also it probably doesn't hurt to take a close look at ourselves. Do we accept inperfections in strangers the same as we do we our friends and people we like? There are a few people from other countries on this forum so maybe they will speak up.

Cliffy
Quite probably, we are as intolerant, bigoted and narcissistic as anybody else, just a little more politically correct about it.

TenPenny
What a stupid, moronic, typically goddamned Canadian question to ask.

Christ, what a bunch of morons we all are, of course we're ****ing polite, and god damned friendly, too. Jesus, you piss me off with these stupid questions.

Have a nice day!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Christ, what a bunch of morons we all are, of course we're ****ing polite, and god damned friendly, too. Jesus, you piss me off with these stupid questions.

Have a nice day!

I guess the person who said "there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers" was probably thinking of people like you.................

Johnnny
We are, compare Canadian rednecks on average to American Rednecks and we are a lot more nicer and tolerant, we just hate free loaders

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I guess the person who said "there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers" was probably thinking of people like you.................

No matter what, there's always humour!

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

We are, compare Canadian rednecks on average to American Rednecks and we are a lot more nicer and tolerant, we just hate free loaders

actually i wouldnt say nicer, but dont care

On average white Canadian rednecks dont care about who you are, what you look like, and your life story.... All we ask is that you try and be Canadians

While in america if your not them, your not welcomed....

eyesears
Can we be friendly and arogant as the say time? Because I am happy to meet someone from a different country and I will treat them like royaly, while I remind them how great Canada is

I think we are an increadably friendly nation and anyone who disagree's can meet me behind the dumpster at recess to discuss it!

EyesEars

VanIsle
JLM - what makes us great is that we know we are. Half the world wants to live here. That must say something.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsleView Post

JLM - what makes us great is that we know we are. Half the world wants to live here. That must say something.

Either that or the benefit packages they know they will be handed as soon as they step off the boat.

VanIsle
We are friendly to strangers but we can get pretty ugly when we hide behind a wall of anonominity.

Johnnny
im honest, the way you see me talk here i talk like this in real life, and honestly people respect that cause i say whats on my mind...

SirJosephPorter

im honest, the way you see me talk here i talk like this in real life, and honestly people respect that cause i say whats on my mind...

So are you saying that you always say what is on your mind in real life? I should hope not. Saying what is on your mind in real life can sometimes get you into real trouble.

Like you boss telling you "guess what, you are working late tonight" and you know your wife is going to be at home all ready with the anniversary dinner.

Or when the wife asks you, "Do you think I have gained weight?"

Sometimes it is much more diplomatic, much safer to hold your tongue (or even lie) than say what you really think in real life.

lone wolf
I'd rather have a clear conscience than ulcers.

TenPenny
Quote:

Like you boss telling you "guess what, you are working late tonight" and you know your wife is going to be at home all ready with the anniversary dinner.

Yes, the correct response is, 'Sorry, I have personal things I have to do tonight.'

Machjo

How does Canada and Canadians stack up against other people in terms of friendliness? Are we adversarial or judgmental? Do we discriminate more or less than other political groups? Or do we consider ourselves a "cut above" our American and Mexican neighbours? What is our reputation on the world scene?

You ugly bulldog-faced butt-licker. How dare you question our friendliness? For that you deserve to be hanged by the nuts.

What? Do I appear mean to you?

AnnaG
Top 10 tourism friendly countries | Vacation Travel Deals | Holiday Specials (external - login to view)

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

No, not mean, more....average!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

You ugly bulldog-faced butt-licker. How dare you question our friendliness? For that you deserve to be hanged by the nuts.

Get a f*****g life A$$HOLE

wulfie68
Well, part of this depends on how you define friendliness but from my perspective, the 3 countries I've spent any time are the Canada, the US and the UK. I would say we're the politest of the three (though not that much more than the Brits) but the Americans are the friendliest. I just have not seen anyone quite as willing to do things like strike up a friendly conversation with a complete stranger like the Americans.

EagleSmack

Have a nice day!

You had me going there for a moment.

EagleSmack

actually i wouldnt say nicer, but dont care

On average white Canadian rednecks dont care about who you are, what you look like, and your life story.... All we ask is that you try and be Canadians

While in america if your not them, your not welcomed....

I have to disagree here because I think you are lumping all rednecks together. I would bet that if you were to go into a bar that could be considered "redneck" you would not find a problem at all. People from rural areas tend to be a heck of a lot more polite than the cities.

When I think of a redneck I think of a country boy. In the Marines I met many a good men who could be thought of as rednecks and they were a heck of a lot more polite than some New Yorkers I met.

White trash is white trash. There are always going to be jerks out there regardless of social status. I bet you'd be more welcome and have a heck of a lot more fun in a redneck bar watching NASCAR than at a socialite event in NY City. Unless your a stuck up snob and are into that stuff.

Machjo

Get a f*****g life A$$HOLE

You really should be in the tourism industry.

Machjo

No, not mean, more....average!

Machjo
Ten Penny,

I'll try harder next time.

SirJosephPorter

Yes, the correct response is, 'Sorry, I have personal things I have to do tonight.'

What, and risk losing your job? Suppose the company is in a downsizing mode, nobody's job is safe. Talking back to the boss may just put your job on line.

Your natural reaction when asked to work extra at the last minute on your wedding anniversary would be to tell the boss to f**k off. But that wouldn't be the right thing to do.

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

What, and risk losing your job? Suppose the company is in a downsizing mode, nobody's job is safe. Talking back to the boss may just put your job on line.

Your natural reaction when asked to work extra at the last minute on your wedding anniversary would be to tell the boss to f**k off. But that wouldn't be the right thing to do.

The right thing to do is whatever he feels is appropriate to the situation, not necessarily what you think is right. Personally, I would be polite but firm: no, unless it is a matter of the most dire circumstance (i.e. some one is endangered by my not being there).

TenPenny
Quote:

If my boss thinks that a job is more important than my family, he can go f&^k himself.

I have my priorities.