Most Memorable Breakfast

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I know a lot of people who just can't face food first thing in the morning, but I've always had a tremendous appetite as soon as my eyes open. It's probably a holdover from my "farm kid" days, where breakfast was a MEAL.

Would anyone care to comment on the best, weirdest, most delicious, unique, or otherwise memorable breakfast you've ever had, or would like to have?

To start it off, I think the healthiest breakfast I ever had was in a little hotel in Osaka, Japan. They had a "Healthy Special" breakfast which consisted of a huge bowl of fresh fruit - all Asian & all good - sweet omochi (a heavy-duty rice cake), and...a very large pumpkin milkshake. It really was good, and large enough to fill me - a rather infamous big eater - up until noon.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would like to sit outside on a patio, with great foliage
all round, warm sunshine, roof overhead, with fresh juice,
oatmeal, lots of fresh fruit, misc. nuts, fresh homemade
brown toast, yogurt, scrambled eggs,salads, cream, coffee, and just sit and chat, and nibble all morning, to the sound of the ocean on the beach and birds flying about.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, tomorrow I'm taking my Kid's out for brunch (It's their second Wedding
Anniversary) to a local restaurant called India House. I really like the food
but I have no idea what I'm eating there....but it's great!!!

There's some green paste in a bucket that tastes like Spinach that's just
Awesome, and an almost neon yellow stuff in another bucket that I think
has chicken in it, & it's spicy...and really good too. Then there's this red
(almost looks like it's candy coated) chicken pieces that look like they
should taste sickly sweet...but it has this Smokey flavour that's just
awesome. Many other things that would sound almost obscene
f I tried to describe them...but they're all good.

That'll be my memorable breakfast (well, brunch anyway) tomorrow.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
brown toast, yogurt, scrambled eggs,salads, cream, coffee, and just sit and chat, and nibble all morning, to the sound of the ocean on the beach and birds flying about.

Talloola...if you ever get a chance to get to a place called Penang - it's an island in the Indian Ocean and it belongs to Malaysia - do it! The morning you just described is available there, although I'm sure it is in many other places too.

I once stayed at a resort there for a biz meeting, and their "breakfast house" was on the beach. It was a huge building (actually, it had no walls) with all kinds of buffet tables loaded with really good fruits, a juice bar (you picked up fruit in a basket, took it to the bar, and they would wash it and put it into a juicer for you)...they had everything from sushi counters to Indian food to the British breakfast bar to ... well, just about everything. You could just pick up whatever you wanted, take it out to a thatch roof hut with a gorgeous dining table/padded chairs under a palm tree on the beach, of course, and nibble and talk. They didn't care if you spent all morning wandering back and forth, nibbling, talking, oh, and drinking too...coffee bars, champagne bar, etc., etc. It was pretty cool.

And get this...breakfast was included in the price of the suite! It was memorable.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola...if you ever get a chance to get to a place called Penang - it's an island in the Indian Ocean and it belongs to Malaysia - do it! The morning you just described is available there, although I'm sure it is in many other places too.

I once stayed at a resort there for a biz meeting, and their "breakfast house" was on the beach. It was a huge building (actually, it had no walls) with all kinds of buffet tables loaded with really good fruits, a juice bar (you picked up fruit in a basket, took it to the bar, and they would wash it and put it into a juicer for you)...they had everything from sushi counters to Indian food to the British breakfast bar to ... well, just about everything. You could just pick up whatever you wanted, take it out to a thatch roof hut with a gorgeous dining table/padded chairs under a palm tree on the beach, of course, and nibble and talk. They didn't care if you spent all morning wandering back and forth, nibbling, talking, oh, and drinking too...coffee bars, champagne bar, etc., etc. It was pretty cool.

And get this...breakfast was included in the price of the suite! It was memorable.

That place sounds divine, you have been everywhere, you
must have some very interesting stories to tell.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC

Jeez, that sounds great! I think the neon yellow stuff was laced with turmeric...one of the healthiest spices in the world. The red chicken sounds like tandoori, but could have been tikka...also pretty good spices in any case.

I'm jealous...no Indian restaurants around here. But, I got hooked on the stuff years ago and decided to learn how to cook it. Now I pick up spices in bulk whenever I get to Vancouver, and roast and grind them up here in the boonies.

You're eatin' good in Regina! (Have some naan bread for me)...

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
That place sounds divine, you have been everywhere, you
must have some very interesting stories to tell.

I haven't been everywhere but have been around a bit. I was lucky - worked for a company that did business in 27 countries and I was in the International Operations Division for a number of years. They used to call a meeting at the drop of a hat, and it could be anywhere. One time, I was in Singapore and a big problem came up in Minneapols (headquarters). I had to fly back up to Tokyo and catch a flight to the States in a hurry. 4 days later, I was in Seoul for a planned meeting, and then on to Bangkok, Thailand for a couple of days before going home to Tokyo.

And that's probably why I have an appreciation for food. It was the only way I could cope with jet lag...as soon as I arrived somewhere, I would switch the body clock to local time. If I arrived in Seoul at (their) dinner time, my body might be on breakfast time, but I would go out and have a big dinner anyway. And always local stuff. Eating beef simmered with chilies and garlic (Bulgogi) at breakfast time shocks your system into thinking it's on local time. Sort of. :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Yeah, it's good eats, and it's a three minute walk from my doorstep. ;-)

Lucky. I've never had breakfast/brunch at an Indian restaurant, but it sounds like I might have to, next chance I get.

Incidentally, those spices are pretty magic things. I read somewhere that if you eat the right combination of them regularly, they can help you lose weight. I gave it a go for about 4 months straight and, without changing anything else, lost 27 lbs. Something to do with the metabolic rate and all that. I mostly did it for the taste! :lol: (Made it below 200 lbs. for the first time in ... well, many years)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I haven't been everywhere but have been around a bit. I was lucky - worked for a company that did business in 27 countries and I was in the International Operations Division for a number of years. They used to call a meeting at the drop of a hat, and it could be anywhere. One time, I was in Singapore and a big problem came up in Minneapols (headquarters). I had to fly back up to Tokyo and catch a flight to the States in a hurry. 4 days later, I was in Seoul for a planned meeting, and then on to Bangkok, Thailand for a couple of days before going home to Tokyo.

And that's probably why I have an appreciation for food. It was the only way I could cope with jet lag...as soon as I arrived somewhere, I would switch the body clock to local time. If I arrived in Seoul at (their) dinner time, my body might be on breakfast time, but I would go out and have a big dinner anyway. And always local stuff. Eating beef simmered with chilies and garlic (Bulgogi) at breakfast time shocks your system into thinking it's on local time. Sort of. :lol:

I haven't lived anywhere, but on the west coast, so my
eating habits are very limited to 'our' sort of food.
I have learned italian cooking, but that is very limited
too, although I make the best spaghetti sauce, originated
in Rome, from my mother in law, when she was a little girl.
You would be bored with my cooking very quickly I'm afraid.
I'm a good cook, but our menu is small.

But, it seems you are the cook, that would be very different
in this house, my husband calls everything in the kitchen, mine.
"your pots", "your stove", etc., tells you what he knows about
cooking anything. He had 2 brothers, the three little italian boys,
who's mother did everything for them, waited on them hand and foot,
and she insisted on doing it, doesn't really prepare them for todays
married life.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Just don't ever ever go to that Ethiopian Restaurant you have there. I could not eat the food. It was the worst I have even eaten. About 30 of us sat around the table and my personal plate of food was so bad tasting that everyone tried to "try" it. We actually passed my plate around (dinner - not breakfast - I think) and everyone agreed that it was vile. The description sounded like chopped steak but it tasted like bad ground beef. We said goodnight to the others, walked down the street to the Ramada and had a wonderful meal for less money.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I haven't lived anywhere, but on the west coast, so my
eating habits are very limited to 'our' sort of food.
I have learned italian cooking, but that is very limited
too, although I make the best spaghetti sauce, originated
in Rome, from my mother in law, when she was a little girl.
You would be bored with my cooking very quickly I'm afraid.
I'm a good cook, but our menu is small.

Nothing wrong with that. West coast and Italian sound good to me! What does the Italian side of the family prefer in the way of breakfast? Any uniquely Italian?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Just don't ever ever go to that Ethiopian Restaurant you have there. I could not eat the food. It was the worst I have even eaten. About 30 of us sat around the table and my personal plate of food was so bad tasting that everyone tried to "try" it. We actually passed my plate around (dinner - not breakfast - I think) and everyone agreed that it was vile. The description sounded like chopped steak but it tasted like bad ground beef. We said goodnight to the others, walked down the street to the Ramada and had a wonderful meal for less money.

Hey VI, are you sure it was beef? :lol:

I was taken out for a meal once in Seoul, Korea and found the meat dishes to be a bit "off." After we were finished, the fellows I was with (one Chinese, two Koreans) took great delight in explaining that we had been at a dog restaurant. Oh well, when in Rome... arf!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Your setting sounds great to me and we intend to do just that this summer outside our door. Instead of the roof we'll just use our patio umbrella. Breakfast will just be a fruit salad and toast with coffee. My husband's choice - The salad & coffee along with bacon, eggs and pancakes. Waaay too much in the A.M. I love a melon and banana fruit salad. Maybe a little orange if they are sweet and juicy. I would have to nix the porridge, juice, yogurt (I eat yogurt for dessert), cream in the coffee and morning is too early for nuts with a meal.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Nothing wrong with that. West coast and Italian sound good to me! What does the Italian side of the family prefer in the way of breakfast? Any uniquely Italian?

A 'bowl' of coffee, and nothing different than usual. Toast,
eggs, cereal. (that was when he was living at home).

We don't usually have coffee till lunch.
Our breaky every morning is the same, I have described it
on here before.

small amount of oatmeal, covered with ground sesame seeds
and flax seeds, mashed banana, frozen raspberries/blueberries, prune yogurt, organic granola, mixed nuts, skim milk.
I buy whole seeds, ground them in the coffee grinder,
and store them in freezer to use each morning.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hey VI, are you sure it was beef? :lol:

I was taken out for a meal once in Seoul, Korea and found the meat dishes to be a bit "off." After we were finished, the fellows I was with (one Chinese, two Koreans) took great delight in explaining that we had been at a dog restaurant. Oh well, when in Rome... arf!
It said it was beef. Whatever it was, I only ate one mouthful (sort of). Horrible place to eat. Ron probably knows to stay clear.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Your setting sounds great to me and we intend to do just that this summer outside our door. Instead of the roof we'll just use our patio umbrella. Breakfast will just be a fruit salad and toast with coffee. My husband's choice - The salad & coffee along with bacon, eggs and pancakes. Waaay too much in the A.M. I love a melon and banana fruit salad. Maybe a little orange if they are sweet and juicy. I would have to nix the porridge, juice, yogurt (I eat yogurt for dessert), cream in the coffee and morning is too early for nuts with a meal.

The breaky I described above isn't what I eat at home.
That breaky would be nibbled on throughout the morning
and into lunch time, just as 'countryboy' described his
suggested place to travel for that breakfast.
I only have my special oatmeal for breaky every morning in
real life.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
But, it seems you are the cook, that would be very different
in this house, my husband calls everything in the kitchen, mine.
"your pots", "your stove", etc., tells you what he knows about
cooking anything. He had 2 brothers, the three little italian boys,
who's mother did everything for them, waited on them hand and foot,
and she insisted on doing it, doesn't really prepare them for todays
married life.

We share about 50/50. She makes all the Japanese & most other Asian dishes, plus some Italian & Greek, and I do the Mex, Indian, Spanish, and others. We both do "gringo food" (Canadian type stuff) but it's a bit of a rarity around here. We eat weird.

I'm the only serious breakfast eater though...I prefer a traditional Japanese one now and again...grilled fish, rice, Japanese pickles (not like Cdn. ones), miso soup, and green tea. Japanese people think that eating anything sweet for breakfast is weird. (She was born in Japan)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
A 'bowl' of coffee, and nothing different than usual. Toast,
eggs, cereal. (that was when he was living at home).

We don't usually have coffee till lunch.
Our breaky every morning is the same, I have described it
on here before.

small amount of oatmeal, covered with ground sesame seeds
and flax seeds, mashed banana, frozen raspberries/blueberries, prune yogurt, organic granola, mixed nuts, skim milk.
I buy whole seeds, ground them in the coffee grinder,
and store them in freezer to use each morning.

Wow, that is one goooood soundin' way to start the day. Nice breakfast!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The breaky I described above isn't what I eat at home.
That breaky would be nibbled on throughout the morning
and into lunch time, just as 'countryboy' described his
suggested place to travel for that breakfast.
I only have my special oatmeal for breaky every morning in
real life.
I bought oatmeal with the best of intentions. It's still in the cupboard. I just cannot make myself cook and eat it. My Dad used to make it everymorning and he would call us and say breakfast was ready. None of us every ate it and he would tell us we were nothing but a bunch of bloomin' ijots. (I did not misspell that word - that's how he said it). I don't know why he continued to make it. I guess he figured that one day we would eat it. I don't think anyone ever did other then him.
My husband got us off to a great start tonight. (I hope it's a start and not a start and an end). He suggested last night that maybe we would go for a walk today. He promised that when we got settled into our new place we would walk. It's been 5 months but tonight we did it. We walked a long ways but - we did 30 min. It was good. I thought our legs would be tired but I stand for 8 hours in a day at work and hubby must walk around the place he works and do night checks so I guess that helps. We'll probably miss tomorrow since I work from 2:30 to 10 PM Have to go buy new shoes in the morning.