Story Telling - The Lost Art

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Story Telling - The Lost Art

I remember when I was growing up the stories - from my Parents, Uncles, Aunt's, people visiting- As I mentioned in one post my parent had a rooming house - so you never knew who would be at the supper table -

People talked back then and they told great stories -

One story my Father told me.

He was quite young and was fishing from the wharf - A local man had a left eye that was always looking to the far left and a right eye that was always focused to the far right.
Much like a lazy eye I presume but each eye was always looking in the opposite direction from the other

Well as I said, dad was fishing at the end of the wharf. This gentleman's wife was looking for him - She said Hilt as dad's name was Hilton -

Have you seen my husband.My dad replied - Yes
She then asked - Well Hilt which way was he headed?

Dad replied - If he was going the way he was looking he is in the water by now.

I have spoken with a number of people my age and older and they to notice that this art is disappearing - The younger people just do not understand how important it is - For many reasons

So if anyone has any stories to tell please feel free as I am sure they will be appreciated.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Some bunch around here host an annual story-telling weekend. We bumped into it by accident one time. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get to any more since. Wifey's Dad tells some pretty cool native tales. He has them memorized, but I'm sure he stuck em on cd, too.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I was lucky in growing up around various relatives that were natural-born story tellers. I'd sit for hours listening to uncles, aunts, etc. spinning yarns.

When my 2 daughters were growing up (we were in Japan at the time), there wasn't much English language TV available (which was not a bad thing), so quite often we would have story telling in the evening. I would ask them to pick a subject (could be anything...a dragon, a car, a cupcake, whatever...) and I would attempt to spin a long yarn about it.

After a year or two, they would then begin to take turns creating stories that were actually pretty good. They learned the basics like having a simple structure to it - beginning, middle, and end - and they became quite adept at it.

That, plus all the music we created and enjoyed help turn them into what I think are 2 very creative and interesting people who really enjoy life. Mind you, I'm biased, big time.

Story telling is indeed an important thing and I agree - it's becoming a lost art.