Tourism in Quebec

newvancouverite

Feb 22, 2010
Hi, similar to a few people who have posted on here, I am doing a French speaking presentation about 'The Impact of Tourism in Quebec'. I have some questions to ask. Having been to Montreal and Quebec City, I have some knowlegde, but I need some more in depth information.
1. What is the French influence on the province of Quebec?
2. Do the French have any difficulties with the slight differences in French language in Quebec?
Thank you for any replies, it is much appreciated.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hi, similar to a few people who have posted on here, I am doing a French speaking presentation about 'The Impact of Tourism in Quebec'. I have some questions to ask. Having been to Montreal and Quebec City, I have some knowlegde, but I need some more in depth information.
First off, welcome to the board...
I grew up in Northern Quebec, and we have several good folk here that still live there, so you'll likely get a very well rounded response. Bonne chance.

If you mean French as in "France". Historically, significant and monumental. It deposited Roman Catholicism and the Parisian culture into the wilderness that they found in the new world.

This is still profoundly felt today. Though the language has changed, the cultural differences between Quebec and the rest of Canada are palpable. And oft tense.

You can also find that European influence in much of the architecture and city planning, throughout the urban centers.

2. Do the French have any difficulties with the slight differences in French language in Quebec?
Yes and visa versa. The language has taken on a life of its own, and can vary slightly from region to region.

Think nothing of it.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

CDNBear is right on.

In regards to French having difficulty with Quebec French. I'd say that French (from France) have a slightly harder time adapting to Quebec French for the simple reason that Quebec French is not very present in French media. In other words, Quebecers are more used to hearing French from France than French are used to hearing Quebec French.

I think it's safe to say that there are more cultural products coming from France into Quebec than the other way around.

But that being said, any French person who stays here for more than a couple of days quickly gets the feel of Quebec slang. They won't speak it but they'll end up understanding it pretty well.