Are the Olympics in peril?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Apparently the chaps that own Whistler - Blackcomb are behind in their payments and the chap holding the mortgage wants to be paid in two weeks or he says Olympics ain't going to happen there. Anyone else heard anything?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I think you may be on to something here, JLM. This is what I dug up.

"The Intrawest ski resort company has $1.68 billion in debt due Oct. 23, and the company's owner, New York-based Fortress Investment Group, is struggling to rearrange financing to keep the operation afloat, according to a report published in the Financial Times on Friday.
When contacted by CBC News, Fortress declined to comment, but a spokesman from Intrawest did issue a brief statement on Monday saying operations are expected to continue as normal.

"At our resorts it is business as usual and there will be no impact on our guests' vacation plans or season pass products," said Intrawest director of corporate communications Ian Galbraith in a statement issued on Monday.

"We are aware of recent press coverage on Fortress and Intrawest. These news reports are directly related to our parent company's efforts to refinance a term loan that has been in place since Fortress purchased Intrawest in 2006," he wrote.

Whistler mayor concerned

Meanwhile the mayor of Whistler says he is concerned about the reports.
"We are concerned ... Whistler Blackcomb is essential to our business. They are a critical factor and a key resort player," Mayor Ken Melamed told CBC News on Monday morning.

Intrawest's local operations include the Whistler Blackcomb Ski Resort and several hotels, making it the largest employer in the vacation town, according to Melamed.

However, Melamed said he believes it is very unlikely the local ski hill will be affected because the operation is generating a profit for the company.

"We understand also that Whistler Blackcomb is the flagship of the Intrawest group of companies. And it has been profitable. It is the one that Intrawest will have the most interest in keeping operational," he said."

CBC News - Money - Credit crisis hits Whistler Blackcomb owners

Intrawest spells ‘Trouble?’

Intrawest spells ‘Trouble’?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Apparently the chaps that own Whistler - Blackcomb are behind in their payments and the chap holding the mortgage wants to be paid in two weeks or he says Olympics ain't going to happen there.
roflmao Rich people are so funny sometimes. The goofball actually thinks he can stop the gov't from holding the Olys? roflmao Boy wouldn't he be a popular dude in Canada? Do you think his business would suffer any? Lawsuits will be flying thick.
Anyone else heard anything?
I'll snoop around, but no I hadn't heard this. Looks like Mowich already did find stuff.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Mowich's article is from 2008.... I have a hard time believing this was undealt with before now. Anyone find anything recent?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With some very obvious data I've come to the conclusion that Midas does not like BC.

Anything that gets "touched" in BC gets turned to s hit rather than gold.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
just one more example of an american company looking at screwing Canada and Canadians.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I can't help but wonder what our Canadian athletes must be feeling when they listen to this latest news. Actually, what are all the Olympic athletes thinking and feeling about the reports of financial trouble.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't help but wonder what our Canadian athletes must be feeling when they listen to this latest news. Actually, what are all the Olympic athletes thinking and feeling about the reports of financial trouble.

I doubt if the athletes spend much time focussing on the political/financial side of, it's necessary for them to be single minded on their goal of defeating opponents.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The only problem I would foresee is a lack of snow if any of the venues are held in Cypress Bowl. Because of security costs and other things, this Olympic games will likely lose money but it won't be canceled.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The only problem I would foresee is a lack of snow if any of the venues are held in Cypress Bowl. Because of security costs and other things, this Olympic games will likely lose money but it won't be canceled.

Yeah, there's not much doubt about that. There was a lot of poor planning involved. Who in their right mind would hold it at a location, necessitating $billions being spent upgrading an access road? Who in their right minds would select locations where they are at the mercy of the weather. There are probably half a dozen locations in the B.C. interior that would meet all the criteria without the expense. One has to wonder how much of the security costs are directly attributable to the fact it is being held on the lower mainland. Real geniuses.......................................:lol::lol::lol::lol: