Is there going to be enough snow for the Olympics?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
By the sound of the weather forecast the Olympics don't seem too promising.

Was reading about this in the Globe and Mail this morning, JLM, and wondering the same thing. If the lower mainland looks anything like my yard and field after the Snow Eater came through, they are in big trouble. Get out the snow-making machines, I guess.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When it's raining in the valley in Whistler it is sowing like a son of a bitch just 300m skyward.

Which brings to mind another potential problem, the Sea-Sky Highway washing out like M Creek back in '82 and numerous other slides etc. The whole area between Horseshoe Bay and Brittania Beach is very unstable. I wonder what back up plans the powers that be saw fit to put in place if the highway is closed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Which brings to mind another potential problem, the Sea-Sky Highway washing out like M Creek back in '82 and numerous other slides etc. The whole area between Horseshoe Bay and Brittania Beach is very unstable. I wonder what back up plans the powers that be saw fit to put in place if the highway is closed.
I take it you haven't been up HWY 99 lately have you? It's not the first time it has rained on HWY 99 is it? I really doubt there will be slides especially after dumping nearly a billion in upgrades to get the rich back and forth to their weekend homes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I take it you haven't been up HWY 99 lately have you? It's not the first time it has rained on HWY 99 is it? I really doubt there will be slides especially after dumping nearly a billion in upgrades to get the rich back and forth to their weekend homes.

No I haven't. Had enough of that highway in the early 80s. Even though it's a wider highway now, with a few debris basins in place and the safety aspect no doubt is improved, the unstable terrain still prevails and anyone who thinks throwing a $billion at it is going to eliminate problems is only fooling themselves. There will still be roughly the same number of accidents- just at higher speeds.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Dear Olympic Organizers:
In case you do not haver enough snow at Whistler, I am willing to sell you snow from my back yard and from along my driveway. I think $100 per cubic metre is a fair price, Of course, at that discount price, you will be responsible for collection and transport.
I am looking forward to your business.
Sincerely,
Spade
General Delivery, Aether Island
PS
Please send a pair of red olympic mittens - large!

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Wherever did you get the idea that they need snow up there? Whistler/Blackcomb have had record snow falls this year. The Planners & groomers are estatic!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Dear Olympic Organizers:
In case you do not haver enough snow at Whistler, I am willing to sell you snow from my back yard and from along my driveway. I think $100 per cubic metre is a fair price, Of course, at that discount price, you will be responsible for collection and transport.
I am looking forward to your business.
Sincerely,
Spade
General Delivery, Aether Island
PS
Please send a pair of red olympic mittens - large!

:lol: Ohhh, that's a very good idea. The entrepeneurial spirit is strong in you Spade. A nice transaction, especially for the mittens.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Wherever did you get the idea that they need snow up there? Whistler/Blackcomb have had record snow falls this year. The Planners & groomers are estatic!
They have had record snowfalls there. Those of us who live in the coastal areas of BC know though, that much of the snow that has fallen can disappear overnight. We have not had any snow yet this year (well - we had one day where there was a bit on the ground but it melted in a few hours). It has been raining almost steady for the last few days even though the sun is shining at this very moment. It has been so mild that even at night when I turn the heat down to about 14, it is still almost too warm to sleep with covers on. It is flooding in many areas of the city where Talloola lives and apparently there is some flooding in the south part here in the city where I live. So - while there is probably still lots of snow at Whistler, it surely has been raining there as well. A popular ski area here on the Island is Mount Washington and they have been having rain. It was reported as far back as around November that there would likely be a lack of snow for the Olympics so I'm sure the snow machines are ready.
Spade: I hate to tell you that we have the most gorgous day happening right now. No snow, no rain, just beautiful sunshine. The sun is streaming through my kitchen and dining room windows. It's only 7 degrees but it's early yet.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Even if they don't have enough snow, they can make as much
as they want, but seems they will be fine.
We might have some flowers growing by then, it has been so
mild.
No rain today though, sunny and bright, I'm going to go for
a long walk along the river.
I've been walking everyday in the rain too, so warm out, just
need the gortex, I love it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Even if they don't have enough snow, they can make as much
as they want, but seems they will be fine.
We might have some flowers growing by then, it has been so
mild.
No rain today though, sunny and bright, I'm going to go for
a long walk along the river.
I've been walking everyday in the rain too, so warm out, just
need the gortex, I love it.

Could a guy sorta throw up a shelter, live on the beach, eat seafood, and whatever washes up?? Driftwood for fuel. Sounds good.

Hey, "the wife" (she'd kill me if she read that), would get used to it.:lol:

Mebee I could pack in with Cosmo for a bit till I got on me feet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No I haven't. Had enough of that highway in the early 80s. Even though it's a wider highway now, with a few debris basins in place and the safety aspect no doubt is improved, the unstable terrain still prevails and anyone who thinks throwing a $billion at it is going to eliminate problems is only fooling themselves. There will still be roughly the same number of accidents- just at higher speeds.
As long as there are no clear cuts the soil of the Garibaldi range is very well tied up and the granite that makes up the range is some very damn hard stuff.

I lived in Whistler in '85 to almost '87. EVERY trip to the city was delayed by an accident between Squish and Horseshoe, especially just south of Brittania.

In the 90's there were major improvements made through that stretch and non stop work from Brackendale function jct. We went skiing the winter before last and I was very impressed at the improvements and I'd like to see what it is like now.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Could a guy sorta throw up a shelter, live on the beach, eat seafood, and whatever washes up?? Driftwood for fuel. Sounds good.

Hey, "the wife" (she'd kill me if she read that), would get used to it.:lol:

Mebee I could pack in with Cosmo for a bit till I got on me feet.

that's why so many people are coming here, but haven't
noticed any living on the beach 'yet', lol

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That sea to sky highway must be in A1 condition now, but
there was almost a war a few years ago, when they started
the improvements 'for the olympics'. Some people went to
jail temporarily to make their point, but of course, as
always, to no avail, the government always gets what
they want, and there is 'so' much money living in that
area, the majority wanted the improvements I'm sure.

Everything to impress the 'guests', which is very sad,
because the problems are swept under the rug, and money
talks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That sea to sky highway must be in A1 condition now, but
there was almost a war a few years ago, when they started
the improvements 'for the olympics'. Some people went to
jail temporarily to make their point, but of course, as
always, to no avail, the government always gets what
they want, and there is 'so' much money living in that
area, the majority wanted the improvements I'm sure.

Everything to impress the 'guests', which is very sad,
because the problems are swept under the rug, and money
talks.
Either you pay with ICBC rate or by building and hopefully reducing ICBC's burden.