Expenses going to sermons ........................... 0$
Cost of TV time slot ......................... 0$
Religious accusation payouts ......................... 0$
Peace of mind ............................... priceless

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The thread should properly be named ‘the cost of theism’, since cost is associated only with theism.

To that, you may add old ladies, pensioners or people on food stamps sending their pension or Social Security checks to televangelists, so that they may take that cruise to Bahamas or that trip to Egypt or to Greece (to do God’s work, to evangelize, of course).

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
To that, you may add old ladies, pensioners or people on food stamps sending their pension or Social Security checks to televangelists, so that they may take that cruise to Bahamas or that trip to Egypt or to Greece (to do God’s work, to evangelize, of course).

Yes, but that is what they believe in so what is the problem? Just because we might - spiritually speaking - choose to believe in something else (or nothing at all) doesn't mean that is right for all. I have learned - right here in the forum - that there are many "truths" but the only one that counts for me is the one I believe in. I'm sure that must apply to everyone, right?

So who's to say those old ladies and pensioners are "wrong?"

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yes, but that is what they believe in so what is the problem? Just because we might - spiritually speaking - choose to believe in something else (or nothing at all) doesn't mean that is right for all. I have learned - right here in the forum - that there are many "truths" but the only one that counts for me is the one I believe in. I'm sure that must apply to everyone, right?

I said nothing about right or wrong, countryboy. We are discussing the cost of Theism and Atheism, so I pointed out one possible cost of Theism.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I said nothing about right or wrong, countryboy. We are discussing the cost of Theism and Atheism, so I pointed out one possible cost of Theism.

Sorry, I took that out of context...you're right; my mistake.

I have a question though...the "cost" to whom? I'm a bit confused on that one - are we talking the cost to society or the cost to the individual(s)?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The thread should properly be named ‘the cost of theism’, since cost is associated only with theism.

There are no old men???????:roll:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

It seems more like they are being taken advantage of, by
believing something that only puts 'their' money in
someone else's pockets, and that someone is no better
than a thief, but as you say, if that makes
them happy, and they believe they are being good to the
'lord', then 'thats it' I guess, it's their choice.
But it still doesn't feel right, if that church was
obviously a con man, we would be happy to see them caught,
but because they hide behind the excuse that, they are
doing the lords work, we 'praise' them, excuse me but
that makes me gag.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Didn't you know that religion is perpetrated by little old ladies? (eating cat food and sending pension cheques to televangelists)

Personally, I can't understand why women support a paternalistic religion. It seems self defacing. Even I think a goddess makes more sense.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Sure there are, but an old man is more likely to blow his social security check on a bottle of whiskey rather than use it to financé the cruise by the Televangelist.

And I wasn’t trying to single out old people anyway. The rubes, the gullible people come in all sizes, all shapes and all ages (and both genders).

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Didn't you know that religion is perpetrated by little old ladies? (eating cat food and sending pension cheques to televangelists)

Personally, I can't understand why women support a paternalistic religion. It seems self defacing. Even I think a goddess makes more sense.

Gaia loves you, Cliffy. :smile:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure there are, but an old man is more likely to blow his social security check on a bottle of whiskey rather than use it to fiancé the cruise by the Televangelist.

And I wasn’t trying to single out old people anyway. The rubes, the gullible people come in all sizes, all shapes and all ages (and both genders).

Naw... This one spends it reviving a Chevy just a little older than me....

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I've been the money counter at the church Cliff. The big cheques are often made out by the "men". There are a lot of men who attend church. Just as many as there are women. Probably see more men there alone then you will see women there alone. Not all churches are paternalistic. My church has lots of female leaders (ministers) and as I think about it, the women do, do, many of the activities that go on all week. Some people go to church on Sunday and some go to various activities all week.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I've been the money counter at the church Cliff. The big cheques are often made out by the "men". There are a lot of men who attend church. Just as many as there are women. Probably see more men there alone then you will see women there alone. Not all churches are paternalistic. My church has lots of female leaders (ministers) and as I think about it, the women do, do, many of the activities that go on all week. Some people go to church on Sunday and some go to various activities all week.

In another thread, I made reference to old ladies eating catfood. One of them was my grandmother. I wonder if she even got her name mentioned in the Crystal Cathedral?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Atheims,

The cost of church property............................ 0$
The salary of the leader ............................. 0$
Expenses going to sermons ........................... 0$
Cost of TV time slot ......................... 0$
Religious accusation payouts ......................... 0$
Peace of mind ............................... priceless