Canadianisms - Unique Words & Expressions

AnnaG
lol.

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

lol.

The Newfy finally moved to another tent but he picked one the ptarmigan were nesting under,that means they perched on the roof at all times in 24 hour daylight and made that strange call that sounds like fu*k you fu*k youuuuuuuuuu.

The Caper told him he was "trowin da trail mix" on his roof to attract the birds,he wasnt but it came up at the weekly meeting that someone was feeding the wildlife and it's a firing offence up there.

I had to explain it was a joke.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

The Newfy finally moved to another tent but he picked one the ptarmigan were nesting under,that means they perched on the roof at all times in 24 hour daylight and made that strange call that sounds like fu*k you fu*k youuuuuuuuuu.

The Caper told him he was "trowin da trail mix" on his roof to attract the birds,he wasnt but it came up at the weekly meeting that someone was feeding the wildlife and it's a firing offence up there.

I had to explain it was a joke.

lmao

countryboy

I think it makes more sense if you add another "o" on the end of the last word. "Stay where you are and I'll come where you are, too" as in "also".

I think you're right. Toldja' I heard it in a bar!

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

"over yonder" means within your line of sight. It takes on a special meaning
when your line of sight is only interrupted by the curvature of the earth...

Ha, ha...I guess that's why it's a "prairieism"...good one! (I don't think my Grandpa had that in mind when he used it, but then again, who knows?...)

countryboy
Here's one you might be familiar with if you lived in Winnipeg a few years back...

Cheese Nip.

That's what the Salisbury House chain of diners called their cheeseburger. My mother thought it was cool and tended to start calling all burgers "nips." She used to get some strange looks when requesting a burger in other places!

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboyView Post

Here's one you might be familiar with if you lived in Winnipeg a few years back...

Cheese Nip.

That's what the Salisbury House chain of diners called their cheeseburger. My mother thought it was cool and tended to start calling all burgers "nips." She used to get some strange looks when requesting a burger in other places!

Last time I was in Winnipeg I met Rene Zellweger at the sports bar at the airport.
She was filming chilled in miami.
I got some vid of one of her takes and posted it on youtube and also to the winnipeg sun.
They had a contest going for best pic of her while there,all I had was a video but they posted it on their website anyways.
after 3 take's i had to break out my camera.
she's a very pretty lady.
This is my vid on the peg sun website.

YouTube - Fun at the Winnipeg airport

countryboy
Anyone know what a "red eye" is? Hint: It's a drink.

AnnaG

Anyone know what a "red eye" is? Hint: It's a drink.

Java, mud, AKA coffee, I think.Different than "screeech".

countryboy

Java, mud, AKA coffee, I think.Different than "screeech".

Well, could be, in certain parts of Canada...

In the part of Manitoba where I come from, A Red Eye (or maybe Redeye) is beer mixed with tomato juice.

AnnaG
Only in Canada......Is the Senate of Canada sustained by protocol, alcohol and Geritol
Only in Canada......can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.
Only in Canada......are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink.
Only in Canada......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.
Only in Canada.....do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet coke.
Only in Canada......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.
Only in Canada......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.
Only in Canada......do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.
Only in Canada......do we buy hot dogs in packages of twelve and buns in packages of eight.
Only in Canada.....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.
Only in Canada......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.
Only in Canada......can you buy Tylenol containing codeine without a prescription. In fact, Jane Fonda was once stopped at the U.S. border for trying to take it home.

AnnaG

Well, could be, in certain parts of Canada...

In the part of Manitoba where I come from, A Red Eye (or maybe Redeye) is beer mixed with tomato juice.

Ooooohhh, a ruddy mary. At least that's what beer n tomato is called here. Variations include adding tabasco sauce or using Clamato juice instead of tomato.

countryboy

Ooooohhh, a ruddy mary. At least that's what beer n tomato is called here. Variations include adding tabasco sauce or using Clamato juice instead of tomato.

In Manitoba, at least when I was a kid: "Diesel" - rye & coke

AnnaG
Here's more:
Canuck
Kerfuffle
Hoser
Molson Muscle
Kliks
Clawmitter
Fersher
Mickey (13 oz. bottle of booze aka 375 ml)
2-4
rye & ginger
zed ("z")
highway
hydro
butter tart
nanaimo bar
Mountie
Loonie
Twoonie
Toque
Pop
Robertson screws
skidoos & seadoos
lacrosse
Pogey
KD
chip trucks
Timmy's

countryboy

Here's more:
Canuck
Kerfuffle
Hoser
Molson Muscle
Kliks
Clawmitter
Fersher
Mickey (13 oz. bottle of booze aka 375 ml)
2-4
rye & ginger
zed ("z")
highway
hydro
butter tart
nanaimo bar
Mountie
Loonie
Twoonie
Toque
Pop
Robertson screws
skidoos & seadoos
lacrosse
Pogey
KD
chip trucks
Timmy's

Wow...good list!

Here's an expression that one of my old aunties used to say when things went really wrong:

"Sh*t and carry two!"

No, I don't really know what it means...

Chev
My husband was born and raised in Ontario. He used to say "drier than a popcorn fart" ; "slicker than snot on a doorknob" ; those I remember, there were a few more. Don't know if those were 'Ontario things'. Mine is ordering a drink 'neat'. Most waitresses in Edmonton know what that is, but on a trip to Ontario years ago, the waitresses had no idea what that meant.

Nuggler
Have a good day, eh!

Nuggler

Speaking of tum wrenches; hubby calls them "knucklebusters". According to him if you put enough pressure on them, they let go of the bolt and your knuckles take a bashing.

They do that, and they do. Never put yer fingers completely around the handle, cause it do smart.ow ow ow.

jeez, brings back old times.......crawlin around underneath the clunker with bloody knuckles........great fun.

countryboy
Overheard somewhere down East...probably Newfoundland, but not sure:

The fog is t'icker than the flies on a hog's back, b'y!

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by ChevView Post

My husband was born and raised in Ontario. He used to say "drier than a popcorn fart" ; "slicker than snot on a doorknob" ; those I remember, there were a few more. Don't know if those were 'Ontario things'. Mine is ordering a drink 'neat'. Most waitresses in Edmonton know what that is, but on a trip to Ontario years ago, the waitresses had no idea what that meant.

We use the same expressions over here. It's ON that's weird. lol

countryboy
A seasonal note - we have many creative ways to describe how cold it can be in Canada. Any expressions worthy of note here?

A starter - It's cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge.

Kakato
Colder then a nuns cu**

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Colder then a nuns cu**

Yikes! How about "Colder than molasses in January"

(A bit "lighter than the above, " but very Canadian too!)...

lone wolf
Good thing there's no brass monkeys walkin' about.

AnnaG
Peter heaters:

Beekeeper
AnnaG---You missed chuck. Very common on this coast. Like skoocum, a word fron the Chinook language we used to speak hereabouts

countryboy
"Off like a bride's nighty" (nightie?) - referring to something that happened suddenly, I think...

Kakato
Off like a Jewish foreskin(my fav)

countryboy
"Hotter than the hubs of hell"
(not sure if that's purely Canadian, but I heard it on the prairies)...

Kakato
Colder then a witches ***