Any ideas

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just wondering if somebody has an idea for a new thread that would give us a break from Christ and pollution?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Christ, I can hardly see my screen, there's so much god damned smoke in here. The incense that priest set light to is really making a mess.

What were you talking about?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well, I might have one or two...

How about trying to list all the nice things that could be done to/for other people so that there would be less conflict in the world?

Or, perhaps a discussion on how to best present one's new ideas and listen to other people's new ideas too?

Just a couple of thought-starters there...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, I might have one or two...

How about trying to list all the nice things that could be done to/for other people so that there would be less conflict in the world?

Or, perhaps a discussion on how to best present one's new ideas and listen to other people's new ideas too?

Just a couple of thought-starters there...

Excellent ideas, how about realization of the fact that everyone knows something that you don't? and opinions are good but they are not "all inclusive".

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hobbies - books that changed your perspective - people that influenced you in a positive way - Hell include these and add a bunch more - Make it a Wide Variety Thread - -

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Excellent ideas, how about realization of the fact that everyone knows something that you don't? and opinions are good but they are not "all inclusive".

Orrr........Challenge ourselves to name the 10 stupidest things we've ever said or done to other people? (Some of course, wouldn't be able to come up with 10...or even one!)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Hobbies - books that changed your perspective - people that influenced you in a positive way - Hell include these and add a bunch more - Make it a Wide Variety Thread - -

Hey, not bad...a wide variety thread. Like a free-for-all...shouldn't have any trouble staying on track, right?

Or another idea...even though everyone seems to pretty much be satisfied and content with things in general, perhaps a "What's bugging you?" thread. Naw, likely nobody would be interested in something like that...:cool:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How about an Obama / Palin / H1N1 thread that discusses how you can talk about things without being in an SC cage.

I was being sarrrrrcastic.. I did start a new thread.. :)

Of course you were, Francis. I was going to suggest, add racism to the mix (who is more racist, Obama or Palin), wonder aloud whether Christ forbids taking H1N1 vaccine (and whether Obama is a Muslim) and you have the perfect recipe for a nice, friendly, peaceful thread.

JLM, the problem is not getting ideas for a new thread, there are plenty of ideas. But you must face the facts, a subject which does not generate controversy, does not arouse passion, disagreement soon dies down. How many threads die off without even a single post in response?

When the subject is controversial, it generates plenty of discussion. And Obama, Christ (or Mohammed), pollution, they generate plenty of controversy, disagreement, passion and hence generate plenty of discussion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Of course you were, Francis. I was going to suggest, add racism to the mix (who is more racist, Obama or Palin), wonder aloud whether Christ forbids taking H1N1 vaccine (and whether Obama is a Muslim) and you have the perfect recipe for a nice, friendly, peaceful thread.

JLM, the problem is not getting ideas for a new thread, there are plenty of ideas. But you must face the facts, a subject which does not generate controversy, does not arouse passion, disagreement soon dies down. How many threads die off without even a single post in response?

When the subject is controversial, it generates plenty of discussion. And Obama, Christ (or Mohammed), pollution, they generate plenty of controversy, disagreement, passion and hence generate plenty of discussion.

Not always correct S.J. - there are several threads of non contraversial subjects on here that have been going for months- Word association thread comes to mind, it's both challenging and amusing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Orrr........Challenge ourselves to name the 10 stupidest things we've ever said or done to other people? (Some of course, wouldn't be able to come up with 10...or even one!)

When I was about 15 I did something that takes the cake for all time. I was working in the back of a bowling alley setting pins (if you are under 50 you won't understand) and there was a fan high on the wall to circulate the air (everybody smoked in those days) and during an idle moment I noticed an empty pop bottle.................well you can guess the rest. Very luckily no one was seriously hurt, but my friend did get a shard in the face. I knew as soon as that bottle left my hand it was a mistake.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
OK, let me recite my experience, which in my opinion does take the cake when it comes to stupidity.

When I was employed as a research scientist (that was a long time ago), we had a summer student, he was a Physics major. Somehow we acquired an empty tank, and he decided to make it into an aquarium. I told him to go ahead.

So he filled it up with water, added a few fish and for a few days everything was great. Then the fish died one by one. He bought more fish, the same thing again. Somebody suggested to him that perhaps water may have some algae etc, growing in it, which may be harmful to the fish. So he bought a few snails along with the fish, with the hope that snails will eat up whatever was harming the fish.

In a couple of days all the snails split up and died. All the fish also died. During coffee break we were discussing what may be killing the fish. Somebody again mentioned water; there may be something wrong with the water.

“There is nothing wrong with the water”, the student replied heatedly. “In fact, just to make sure that water is absolutely pure, I filled the tank with distilled water.”

Thud! Only a physicist would make a blunder like that.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not always correct S.J. - there are several threads of non contraversial subjects on here that have been going for months- Word association thread comes to mind, it's both challenging and amusing.

Speaking of Word Association......where is it - stuck in the netherworld. Whose gonna rive it.... huh???:lol::lol: