What Do You Love About Canada? (And What Don't You Love?)

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
We all live in this big, wonderful, and sometimes confusing country called Canada, and we all have different likes and dislikes (things we'd like to change) about it.

This 2 part poll is simple - 1. What is the BEST thing about living in Canada?
2. What is the WORST thing about living in Canada?

You could do it like this:
Best: blah, blah...
Worst: blah, blah...

Let's see how we really feel about our great country! (And have some fun too!)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Best: we can express our opinions.
Worst: someone asking for our opinion (couldn't resist;-))

Ha, ha...How about this?...

Best: We can express our opinions
Worst: Nobody cares about them ;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Freedom! Mountains. Oceans, Lots of lakes for recreaction. In BC we have pretty good weather nearly all year round. Health care is pretty good but could be improved to levels of about 15 or more years ago.
I'm okay with the Federal gov't. I hate the BC gov't. I hate that we give in to immigrants who want us to change for them when they should live as Canadians always have. On the other hand, I love that we are a multi-cultural country. I wish we were a unilingual country rather than a bilingual country.
Most of all - I love Canada because - it's home.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Best: Lots of different cultures (and foods)
Worst: Too much "factory food"

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I remember in one episode of Married With Children, Al Bundy said

“There have been only a few really good scams in the history of mankind. Lock Ness Monster, Canada.”

There is some truth in what he said. Canada is an unlikely collection of provinces, territories, which really have no reason to be together. But now that they are together, they have formed a common identity, a common narrative. And it works, Canada is one of the best (if not the best) countries in the world. And I write it as someone who has traveled over a wide patch of the world and has lived in USA and Britain (a few years each).

Good: one of the highest standard of living in the world, multiculturalism, tolerance, respect for minority right, wide open spaces, plenty of nature.

Bad: I really cannot think of any.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Most of all - I love Canada because - it's home.

VanIsle, I also love Canada because it is home. But I like it because it is a great place to live. If my home country was say, Saudi Arabia or Zimbabwe, I would still love it because it would be my home, but I wouldn’t like it.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I remember in one episode of Married With Children, Al Bundy said

“There have been only a few really good scams in the history of mankind. Lock Ness Monster, Canada.”

There is some truth in what he said. Canada is an unlikely collection of provinces, territories, which really have no reason to be together. But now that they are together, they have formed a common identity, a common narrative. And it works, Canada is one of the best (if not the best) countries in the world. And I write it as someone who has traveled over a wide patch of the world and has lived in USA and Britain (a few years each).

Good: one of the highest standard of living in the world, multiculturalism, tolerance, respect for minority right, wide open spaces, plenty of nature.

Bad: I really cannot think of any.

Canada has a "common identity?" Quick please...tell me what it is! I thought that was one of our biggest weaknesses. :canada:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I posted this in another thread (called Canadian Identity: Un-American):

If I believed in countries and stuff I'd say my Canadian identity is that I was born here. My education has been a Canadian one. No other country is like Canada. Right down to the variety of people shown in the demographics, Canada is distinct. We are generally a peaceful people for one thing. That alone distinguishes us from other countries like England, China, Japan, USA, Russia, Israel, Viet Nam, etc. We are a relatively northern people. That narrows the field down even more. We are fairly technologically advanced - the field narrows further. We are slightly on the liberal side of center. We are good samaritans and help people in need. And so on. We are what we are, which is a combination of all the factors I have mentioned and more. We are a specific type of mutt. :iconbiggrin: No other people have that combination of factors. Perhaps we are mediocre, perhaps not. Do we excel in some things? I think so. We've produced some pretty fine poets, scientists, medicine people, etc. and we still have people becoming prominent.
Superficial? Hardly. Superficial would be branding us as a mixed bag of colors with nothing to distinguish one of our cultures from another. Only someone that cannot think would not be able to say what we are.
and I'd like to know what this "common" identity is, too. Is there something besides that we are bipeds living in the northernmost country in North Am?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
That is easy, countryboy. We are not Americans, we pride ourselves for not being Americans.

And there's that smug, anti-American attitude coming through, loud and clear. It certainly seems to be part our national identity (America-bashing), but it's not something of which I'm particularly proud.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What Do You Love About Canada? (And What Don't You Love?)

Generally I love the weather in Canada from May through September with
the long days and hot summers (usually) and Prairie Thunderstorms like
few places on the planet.

Canadian Winters I like less & less every year.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Best: Our tolerance for others (For everyone except Americans)
Worst: Our intolerance for others (Americans)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What I love the most is that we are a highly diplomatic, peacekeeping country.

What I like the least is our lack of ability to define an even slightly cohesive identity.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Generally I love the weather in Canada from May through September with
the long days and hot summers (usually) and Prairie Thunderstorms like
few places on the planet.

Canadian Winters I like less & less every year.

Maybe where you live, Ron. Here in Southern Ontario, weather is quite acceptable ten months of the year. January and February are the two months of snow, when we get plenty of it. We may get an odd snow storm in December and march, but that is about it.

So far we haven’t had any snow, and none is forecast for the next week.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Maybe where you live, Ron. Here in Southern Ontario, weather is quite acceptable ten months of the year. January and February are the two months of snow, when we get plenty of it. We may get an odd snow storm in December and march, but that is about it.

So far we haven’t had any snow, and none is forecast for the next week.

So you call humidity that would rot your socks off in the middle of summer "quite acceptable?" Must be a different part of southern Ontario that I used to live in.(Mississauga/Oakville) :smile:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

What I like the least is our lack of ability to define an even slightly cohesive identity.

But that is how we Canadians like it, Karrie. In USA their model is the melting pot, they want everybody to blend into one cultural identity, into one American identity.

Our model is not the melting pot, but the mosaic. We encourage immigrants to keep their individual culture, their individual identity, rather than blend everything into one national identity.

As long as they don’t like America, we are OK with them (just kidding).

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

We are all antis. :D