Canada most peaceful nation in world

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Canada has been named one of the most peaceful nations in the world for its support of UN peacekeeping missions, low levels of violent crime and political stability.

The Global Symposium of Peaceful Nations named Canada as the most peaceful country in the North and Central America and Caribbean region and put it eighth place worldwide on its global peace index.

Ambassador Gary Doer accepted the award at the symposium in Washington on Sunday.

The group says the world is facing threats from climate change, water shortages, economic collapse and an energy crisis.

While the frequency and severity of violent conflicts is declining, the pressure from the threats could easily trigger a dramatic increase in large-scale violence, the group warned.

Eighteen countries from around the world were recognized and honoured at the inaugural Global Symposium of Peaceful Nations.

Canadian Press

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think we probably are in the context of official wars, BUT as far as man's treatment of fellow man I doubt it. Look at the street crime, look at the number of disturbed young people (and old people). I think until we can get a handle on greed we'll never be truly peaceful.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think this is in line with the UN findings (year after year) that Canada is one of the best (if not the best) place in the world to live. So it is not really surprising.

JLM, as to the crime, I have told you many times, personal experience tends to be very unreliable when judging crime, one has to look at statistics. And when you look at statistics, crime rate in Canada is fairly low and falling.

As to treatment our fellow man, I think here also Canada is better than most countries. As to greed, I don’t think we will ever able to get rid of it.

But the finding really was expected, and doesn’t’ surprise me. Canada is one of the best counties in the world, and this award simply confirms it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
On the whole, our citizens are peaceful and law abiding. Even exemplary! Our only problem is that we are caught up in an intractable unpopular war because of weak political decisions.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Gangs in Vancouver?
Canada's rape stats are atrocious.
Other than the blunder about crime in Canada, I think they are right about Canada being quite peaceful. But I also think there are more than 7 countries more peaceful than we are.
The Vatican, Sweden, Netherlands, Liechtenstein, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Switzerland, Monaco, Italy all seem pretty peaceful to me. And that's just in Europe. Then there's Belize, Peru, Chile, Paraguay, Bora Bora, Cuba, Costa Rica, and so on.

Jokey forgets that the UN uses only 3 parameters in their research and they don't consider countries below a certain level of development. 2 huge factors that punch major holes in his rosy-colored views.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
On the whole, our citizens are peaceful and law abiding. Even exemplary! Our only problem is that we are caught up in an intractable unpopular war because of weak political decisions.

Are you referring to Afghanistan? That is a difficult problem, I agree. But there is no simple solution to it.

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
How are those South American and Caribbean countries more peaceful than Canada? Paraguay is rampant with sex slavery and domestic violence. Almost a misogynistic country.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How are those South American and Caribbean countries more peaceful than Canada? Paraguay is rampant with sex slavery and domestic violence. Almost a misogynistic country.

They aren’t. There are only a handful countries more peaceful than Canada. I think New Zealand beats out Canada, that is well deserved. New Zealand is an exceptional place.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And Canada has no domestic violence or sex crimes? Is Paraguay in a war? Are the Caribbean countries in any wars? I noticed you didn't mention any of the European countries I listed. Or are you just nitpicking because you didn't like my point?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And Canada has no domestic violence or sex crimes? Is Paraguay in a war? Are the Caribbean countries in any wars? I noticed you didn't mention any of the European countries I listed. Or are you just nitpicking because you didn't like my point?

Anna.... the UN has said Canada is number 1 in North/<South america and 8th in the world. They have shown why they came up with what they come up with. You want to dispute that, fine, then come up with some numbers proving your point of view rather than just picking countries out of your ass with no pertinent info to back up your contentions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think this is in line with the UN findings (year after year) that Canada is one of the best (if not the best) place in the world to live. So it is not really surprising.

JLM, as to the crime, I have told you many times, personal experience tends to be very unreliable when judging crime, one has to look at statistics. And when you look at statistics, crime rate in Canada is fairly low and falling.

As to treatment our fellow man, I think here also Canada is better than most countries. As to greed, I don’t think we will ever able to get rid of it.

But the finding really was expected, and doesn’t’ surprise me. Canada is one of the best counties in the world, and this award simply confirms it.

I see you are still equating statistics with facts- HUGE mistake!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yawns. The title says, "Canada most peaceful nation in world". I disputed that. As it turns out, I am right because the Symposium says we are 8th, not 1st.

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009

I don't know of rampant sex slavery crimes going on in Canada. There is domestic violence in Canada of course but not in an excessive amount like Paraguay. And spousal abuse in Paraguay needs to be proven habitual before it is even recognized as criminal. There is no way there underdeveloped South American countries could even be thought of as more peaceful than Canada so I'm not sure why you're even trying to debate that. As far as some of the European countries, I agree they could be more peaceful that's why I didn't bring them up.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't know of rampant sex slavery crimes going on in Canada.
I said sex crimes in general. Comprehension problems?
http://www.elitecanada.com/pdfs/cnd_rape_stats.pdf
There is domestic violence in Canada of course but not in an excessive amount like Paraguay. And spousal abuse in Paraguay needs to be proven habitual before it is even recognized as criminal.
Is Paraguay in any wars?
There is no way there underdeveloped South American countries could even be thought of as more peaceful than Canada
Chile, Uruguay, Costa Rica? All three of those are blue on the Symposium's map. There are some countries not even included (designated in white on the map).
so I'm not sure why you're even trying to debate that.
Again, I am not disputing that Canada is peaceful. I am saying there are more peaceful countries around than Canada. Comprehension problems again?
As far as some of the European countries, I agree they could be more peaceful that's why I didn't bring them up.
Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Portugal. Spain, Ireland, etc. are all designated in blue on the map. There are quite a few countries that the Symposium didn't even include. So yes, I still think Canada isn't as peaceful as it seems.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
is the glass half full, or half empty? For too many, the answer is half empty.

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
I said sex crimes in general. Comprehension problems?
http://www.elitecanada.com/pdfs/cnd_rape_stats.pdf

You're the only one failing to comprehend. Yes, Canada has sex crimes but it's not comparable to the abundance of sexual crimes Paraguay has. We actually have police that are being paid more than one dollar a month who aren't as easily susceptible to corruption.

Is Paraguay in any wars?

No but military service is mandatory.

Again, I am not disputing that Canada is peaceful. I am saying there are more peaceful countries around than Canada.

Yea and I agreed with that. I'm disagreeing with Paraguay, one of the countries you brought up, being more peaceful than Canada, that is all.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I see you are still equating statistics with facts- HUGE mistake!

Statistical evidence is much more reliable than personal experience when it comes to crime, population demographics and many other factors. e.g. your personal experience may tell you that there are very few non whites in Canada, because you don’t know any, or there are very few Chinese in Canada because you don’t know any.

Same way if you happen to live in a high crime area, naturally you would think that crime rate is high in Canada (and increasing), while if you live in a low crime area (like I do), you may think that there is no crime in Canada. That is why statistical evidence is the best indicator,. Personal experience, anecdotal evidence tends to be notoriously unreliable.

I myself don’t know any gay people. Then should I conclude from that that there are no gays in Canada?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Are you referring to Afghanistan? That is a difficult problem, I agree. But there is no simple solution to it.

Yes there is, we can say we will be leaving in three weeks. There is no easy solution to a backward, violent, fanatical country, if that's what you mean. But hey, we can leave quite easily and say we tried. Billions of dollars worth of try.

But otherwise, Canada is a great place to hang out. Little historical or religious baggage to worry about.