Telemarketers!!!!!

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Seems like the Law is being circumvented by setting up call centers in the USA. We have call display and I will not answer a phone call from for example-Michigan, Arizona or Florida.

Where else are they coming from? Can we help each other by posting a "List to Avoid Answering"?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I was at my brothers' place a few months ago and answered the phone from some guy from INDIA! He demanded to know how much "we" were paying for hydro and I abrupted told him it was none of his business; He insisted it was his business because he could "save us money".

There is no way to stop these people. They will always circumvent new laws and regulations. Perhaps Bell could offer a service to block any calls from India or Pakistan.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Last week, the same number had been calling about the same time every night for about five days....so I decided to pick up the phone and answered the phone with "Ontario provincial police, Kapuskasing detachment" ....whoever it was hung up and never called again..
Tried the same thing again last night with another number...the guy kept on talking...damned recording...:angryfire:

Reactions: Ron in Regina

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I look at my call display. If it names any places that I know I do not have family in, anywhere in the world (because I do have family in places such as Dubai and Thailand)and/or if it is a 1-800 number calling, I then tip the receiver to stop the ringing. I never speak to anyone. I've found that the Shriners have learned that if they call and ask for my husband, I will ask who is calling. They used to tell me and I would tell them to remove our name from the list. Being a charitable organization, they do not have to do that by law. Now when I ask who's calling - they hang up on me. So - I told my husband that if he answers the phone in error to someone he doesn't know, ask who's calling. If it's the Shriners, tell them "he's not here". My husband is a grab the phone, it's ringing kind of person. I always check.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Last week, the same number had been calling about the same time every night for about five days....so I decided to pick up the phone and answered the phone with "Ontario provincial police, Kapuskasing detachment" ....whoever it was hung up and never called again..
Tried the same thing again last night with another number...the guy kept on talking...damned recording...:angryfire:
We must all be getting to good at avoiding these calls because now I am starting to get mail telling me I've probably won millions if I just call "this number". I'm moving in a week from today so that problem will cease in a few months.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Once upon a time, and I think that includes today, it was forbidden for telemarketers to call cell phones. Mostly because there was a good chance that it would cost you money.

I only have a cell phone. I don't get solicitations.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Once upon a time, and I think that includes today, it was forbidden for telemarketers to call cell phones. Mostly because there was a good chance that it would cost you money.

I only have a cell phone. I don't get solicitations.
lol You don't have an 89 year old mother-in-law that has problems with anything other than the rudimentary gadget with few buttons on it. Our dear old sort messes up the tv remote, the oven, etc. lol