Are Canadians really that conservative, or is there more going on?

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Last week as usual I did a blog posting over at Canada Kicks Ass, it was about the topic of male rape, a big problem in the States, but still an issue here in Canada. My posts got deleted, and their mod QCB tells me that the topic is too much for CKA. Anyone who has been to that forum knows that it's not really a conservative place.

Anyways I posted a post in the rants and rave section saying that I did not agree with the removal of the posts. I also posted a seperate blog entry and added a link to the most recent post, which pretty much just contained news paper articles.

Anyways today I find my account banned. So I ask you, is Canada really that conservative, was the topic really that taboo, or is it really more to do with the fact that I blog about contriversial topics and this was a nice way to get the account shut down?

Many here have also had experiences there, so your feedback is appriciated. This is not a critical post, it's just an I want feedback post. I already have my opinion on this topic as well, but would love to hear everyone else's.

Thanks.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yes. Canada is quite conservative.

Most of the people here at this forum see me as a supporter of gun control. Here in Europe people think I am a gun nut. Most of the people on this forum think I am pretty left leaning, over here in Europe I seem pretty normal, perhaps a bit conservative.

It is quite simple really. We have insanely discriminatory or conservative alcohol laws. We are very uptight about sexuality and nudity in general. Although we have slightly more gun control than our neighbours to the south, we are still very defensive about registering our firearms but not our motor vehicles. We would object to the government forcing an ID on us but will quietly show our driver's license to any police officer who asks.

And so on.

Before leaving Canada, I thought I was pretty liberal. Now I think I may be quite centrist. I still have some pretty radical ideas though, wherever I go.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
So you went to Germany, many Europe is less conservative. I did not really know that the topic was that much of a controversy. I always thought of Canada as a pretty open place, and the forum the same, but oh well opinions can change.

I now see Canada as less democratic than I once thought, and more controlled than I ever thought possible. It's unfortunate, a place where people can not speak their minds or discuss issues of importance becomes a very undemocratic society, a very repressive place.

I am sure most Canadian don't feel that way, but from what I have seen and recent experience it's the only conclusion that I can come to. It's unfortunate.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
As for the topic, not sure why any forum would not allow it. If it was how to plan it or simply use foul language then that's another thing but just as a discussion topic I see no issue.

What may have occurred is a mod locked horns with you and since most forums say they can do so for any reason, and you're supposed to keep your mouth shut, well it just went downhill from there.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I think that is likely the long and short of it. It is generally just a bad idea to complain with a mod on most forums. A bad idea if you want to keep your account that is. Better learn to use a proxy.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Well I did not see anything wrong with the topic either. When the post was removed without any notice, I posted another post saying the post had been removed and here is a link to the posts that have been removed at another location. That post was also removed.

I emailed the mod, and this is what he said.

Hi,
Yep...way too much.
I did it just before I went to bed. No automatic emails regarding the removal of content.
QBC
PS: Note, when content is removed, putting it back up could get you a holiday from here.

Last edited by QBC on 2009-08-24, 06:36:57, edited 1 time in total.

So I left it at that. I then a did another blog post on my usual topic of Gang Stalking and that was fine, then this weekend I did a summary post of the topic for my male rape series.
Beyond these walls « Gang Stalking World

I did not post the content on CanadaKA, I just posted the link, and a subpost explaining why this new post was not posted there. What I did do that may have ticked off the mod, is that I posted a polite, thread in the rant and rave section, saying that I disagreed with the removal of the post, because the topic is important.

If you can't state your opinion or even politely disagree, or have consenting views, then what is the world coming to?
I don't know if this is the reason, of if it's the fact that I do post about controversial topics, such as a recent post I also did about a man named Terry Tremaine
Terry Tremaine « Gang Stalking World

I don't agree with this man's views, but he is apparently now held in a maximum security Canadian jail for going online and blogging about what was happening to him, and saying things that the government does not want him to say. (He has racial views that are not in line with the Government of Canada, and the CHRC.)

I have been at CKA for years now, and blogging peacefully. I generally abide by the rules, and am respectful when it comes to blogging. Don't get me wrong I have in the past had heated discussions with a couple of forum members, but this instance, I see nothing to get the account banned in any legitimate form.

Male Rape is not a comfortable subject matter, but does it really get an account banned at CanadaKA?

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
The thing is that with the blog postings removed, the topic was just gone from public view. So I wrote a post to the effect of I disagree with my blog posting being removed, because I think the topic of male rape is really important.

That's it. If he can't handle that sort of dissent then maybe he should not be a mod. If the forum has really come to that, then it's better to part ways, because I would not want to be part of such a place. My concern is really that he might have used this oppertunity to fully censor my postings, which I think some there have wanted to do for some time, because I don't always stay on mainstrem issues.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
I do understand that it is their choice, but with so many spending even a day in jail and the possibility existing of being attacked, I can't understand why the issue would be considered too much to discuss.

Even just opening the door to this topic could do a great deal of good, even just raising awareness might be helpful for the society as a whole.

I get that it's their choice to not allow this topic, but I have seen some of the discussions that have been allowed, and it makes no sense that this would be a topic to ban the account over, unless it was to use it as an excuse to silence my postings over all, which I suspect could be the case, and then in that case, it's a far much more worrisome issue.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think you were simply told to knock it off and you choose not to. From what you post here, you're clearly not going to let it go. And from my experience, and as Kreskin and Niflmir pointed out, you are going to win an argument with a Mod. It doesn't matter if you think you're right or it's unjust.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
I appriciate your feedback, but I don't think that we were having an argument. I posted the postings that were removed last week. Which is also when i pm'd him. A week later after doing another post, I took the time to post on the forum that I did not agree with the posts being removed.

I don't think that is arguing with the mod. As far as I am awqre, but I do believe that after the account was banned, the oppertunity was used to remove the Terry Tremaine post, and that had nothing to do with the issue at hand, so that's why I think something else was ongoing.

If that is the case and this was just used as a pretext then I think that is worth talking about and discussing. I was not looking to win an argument with a mod, I was hoping to get a clear understanding on why such an issue was taboo for that forum, or if something else was ongoing.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you're going to argue with a Moderator (if I was you), I'd do it as a PM and
not out in the open. I don't pretend to understand the logic used by a Mod on
another Forum, but that would work well here.

Currently on Canadian Content, The Mod's are Hazmart, Shadowshiv, and
myself.....and though I may be biased in my opinion, I "think" we're all quite
approachable. Fire me a PM anytime.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the feedback. If I really thought I was arguing with him, or it was going to be an argument, I would just not have bothered. He said the content was too much for CKA, and i didn't post the content again, just a link to my summary. I did post a link to my new post, and the started a thread saying I disagreed, but again this was a week later. Unless he saw that as a threat to some kind of authority, and then I don't purport to be a mind reader so who knows.

Thanks if I ever have a question or concern here, I would be happy to pm you.

Just out of curiosity, is a topic such as male rape taboo here as well or just on forums such as CKA?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well looking over your blog post, I can offer you one piece of advice: tone down the male slant a little.

You are emphasising it to the point of under-emphasising female rape. I don't know how many feminists there are at CKA but you can be sure they would be pretty outraged by your post. You may be interested in the issue of male rape specifically but your rhetoric is such that most people will only pick up on an anti-female vibe.

I give you the benefit of the doubt that this is unintentional.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Compared to most English speaking countries, Canada is pretty left-leaning. We're definitely more left than the US, UK and Australia, only New Zealand is comparable to us in the Anglosphere.

Eastern European countries also tend to be pretty conservative.

Canada is more right leaning than western continental Europe though.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Compared to most English speaking countries, Canada is pretty left-leaning. We're definitely more left than the US, UK and Australia, only New Zealand is comparable to us in the Anglosphere.

Eastern European countries also tend to be pretty conservative.

Canada is more right leaning than western continental Europe though.
That's my impression, too.

Um, I'm not downplaying the male rape thing but for a civilised country, Canada sure has an awfully high incidence of rape (mostly female victims). 2002 stats said about 78 per 100,000 people (more than twice the US incidence and two thirds of the South African incidence). 2000 stats were 73/100,000.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
If you're going to argue with a Moderator (if I was you), I'd do it as a PM and
not out in the open. I don't pretend to understand the logic used by a Mod on
another Forum, but that would work well here.

Currently on Canadian Content, The Mod's are Hazmart, Shadowshiv, and
myself.....and though I may be biased in my opinion, I "think" we're all quite
approachable. Fire me a PM anytime.

"Hey Ron"

Don't pick up the soap.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
That's my impression, too.

Um, I'm not downplaying the male rape thing but for a civilised country, Canada sure has an awfully high incidence of rape (mostly female victims). 2002 stats said about 78 per 100,000 people (more than twice the US incidence and two thirds of the South African incidence). 2000 stats were 73/100,000.

Er, Do you think women here are more likely to report a rape than in the US?

No way of checking of course, but, just have a hard time believing our incidence would be greater than South Africa, where women are generally treated as garbage.