Order of Canada Mentorship 2009

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Youth have been invited by Her Excellency The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, to apply for the second year of the Order of Canada Mentorship Program! The program pairs up 25 Canadian youth leaders (aged 18–25) each with a member of the prestigious Order of Canada—the country’s highest national honour. The program seeks to promote discussions between these youth leaders and Order members, who share a passion to further develop Canadian communities.

These youth are to meet their Order of Canada mentors, in-person, in the presence of the Governor General this autumn. Once they’ve met, a year of communication and discussion on-line ensues, enriching the knowledge of both the youth participant and the Order of Canada mentor, stimulating ideas and suggestions for the further development of the communities in which these leaders live. One of last year’s participants had this to say of the program: “Not only did the program give me the chance to take part in some unforgettable activities, but my mentor ... has been an incredible inspiration to me.”

If you know someone who may be interested in the Order of Canada Mentorship Program, please let them know! Applications must be made on-line by 17 September at the latest—the 25 youth participants are going to be chosen by an independent committee based on their involvement in their communities, and their responses to essay questions. It’s an invaluable opportunity!

Those interested are able to apply here.

Source

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully Conrad Black is a mentor, he can teach the youth lessons in how to defraud corporations etc.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: The Baron of Crossharbour’s Canadian Honours

On that note, it shocks and saddens me that The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada, has made no move on the issue of these Canadian honours that the convict holds. One would think that the prime minister would have already recommended that they be rescinded. The Right Honourable Conrad Black P.C., O.C., Baron Black of Crossharbour, remains an Officer of the Order of Canada.

But even more of a horrendous oversight—The Baron remains a member of Her Majesty The Queen’s Privy Council for Canada! Why has the prime minister not advised that these honours be stripped? Is it perhaps because it was The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney P.C., C.C., G.O.Q., the 18th Prime Minister of Canada, who elevated The Baron Black to both the Privy Council and the Order of Canada?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
This thing lost all credibility with me when Henry Morgentaler, mass killer of children, was invested last year.

I wonder in Bev McLachlin, the chairwoman of the nominating committee, and Chief Justice of Canada, a woman of immense intellectual and judicial mediocrity, is still trying to impress her radical, new age, feminist agenda onto its rolls.

I know when my invite comes, i'm just going to toss it. :smile:

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This thing lost all credibility with me when Henry Morgentaller, mass killer of children, was invested last year.

I wonder in Bev McLachlin, the chairwoman of the nominating committee, and Chief Justice of Canada, a women of immense intellectual and judicial mediocrity, is still trying to impress her radical, new age, feminist agenda on its rolls.

I don't think they reward creationists. :smile:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

You're probably right, Durka, although i'm not a Creationist, in the Protestant, literalist sense of the word.

Only atheists welcome, i assume. That should make for a fun investiture ceremony, a pack of malcontents and misanthropes. :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It’s a surely good thing then, darkbeaver, that we have a Governor General who supports them. :)

If that is the case then it is a very good thing. Isn't the time ripe for our very own Canadian monarchy though? Why do we cling to the disgraced hollowed out model of British Imperialism when we have that ocean between the old and powerless house of lords and our own fine nation who has the stuff to give Canada leadership we can respect and relate to eh? I think that young Trudeau fellow would make a smashing King and we have no end of smart princesses who could make him rule.:smile:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You're probably right, Durka, although i'm not a Creationist, in the Protestant, literalist sense of the word.

Only atheists welcome, i assume. That should make for a fun investiture ceremony, a pack of malcontents and misanthropes. :lol:

If you send me $500,000 I'll grease the proper people in order to get you admitted to the famous club.:smile:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Undue Criticism of the Order of Canada

This thing lost all credibility with me when Henry Morgentaler, mass killer of children, was invested last year.

I wonder in Bev McLachlin, the chairwoman of the nominating committee, and Chief Justice of Canada, a woman of immense intellectual and judicial mediocrity, is still trying to impress her radical, new age, feminist agenda onto its rolls.

The Right Honourable Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin P.C., the Chief Justice of Canada, is an extremely wise and invaluable member of Canada’s judicial world. The Chief Justice’s judgements are rendered based on the constitution and the law, and I would challenge you to present to the board even one judgement that is compromised. We have on the bench at this moment perhaps the most balanced and learned group of justices that we have ever had serve on the Supreme Court of Canada. And for the Chief Justice’s role as an advisor for Canadian honours, there is an entire counsel of eminent Canadians who make recommendations—each of whom, at the date of appointment, entirely deserved the honour bestowed upon them by the advisors through The Crown of Canada. (For further clarity, The Baron of Crossharbour absolutely deserved his Order appointment at the time—I now advocate its revocation because of his conviction.)

As for the issue of Dr. Henry Morgentaler C.M., it is irrefutable that the doctor has done more than many other Canadians for the progression of women’s rights—and that is the basis on which Dr. Morgentaler was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada. As the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General has released, Dr. Morgentaler has been a Canadian leader of policy change and the increase of health care options for women—these are facts that no one, conservative or progressive, can deny.

There are members of several religions who have been appointed to the Order of Canada—it surprises me that the two of you would question the diversity at the highest level of the Canadian honours system, an institution that cherishes the very best that Canada has to display for the world. It is unfortunate that there seems to be such deep-seeded discontent within the conservative movement when it comes to the recognition of Canadian excellence. Surely we should showcase the fabulous work that Canadians do, shouldn’t we?

If that is the case then it is a very good thing. Isn't the time ripe for our very own Canadian monarchy though? Why do we cling to the disgraced hollowed out model of British Imperialism when we have that ocean between the old and powerless house of lords and our own fine nation who has the stuff to give Canada leadership we can respect and relate to eh? I think that young Trudeau fellow would make a smashing King and we have no end of smart princesses who could make him rule.:smile:
Her Majesty The Queen is just as much Canadian as you or me—The Queen and members of The Royal Family of Canada are Canadian subjects. The monarchy is a Canadian institution—but a shared one. It is a bond that we share with the several other Realms of the Commonwealth, and we should be very proud of—and treasure—the awesome voluntary association at the deepest constitutional level that we share with those nations. Also, the House of Lords is by no means a powerless institution—some of the reforms made to that right honourable house in recent years are most unfortunate, but the role that the Lords play is absolutely essential for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That house was, of course, the foundation upon which the Honourable the Senate of Canada was constructed.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There are members of several religions who have been appointed to the Order of Canada—it surprises me that the two of you would question the diversity at the highest level of the Canadian honours system, an institution that cherishes the very best that Canada has to display for the world. It is unfortunate that there seems to be such deep-seeded discontent within the conservative movement when it comes to the recognition of Canadian excellence. Surely we should showcase the fabulous work that Canadians do, shouldn’t we?

That might have been the case in the intent of the charter of the Order of Canada, but it seems to be increasingly used to promote a political, post-structural agenda.

Under the control of Bev McLachlin, Chief Justice and holder of the Chair of the Nominating Committee, it has decided to promote an agenda, feminist, new age, that cannot be supported by any valid faith system in the murder of infants. Legitimization and celebration of homosexuality must be on the list of 'contributions' to be honoured if it has not already.

Bev imposed her will by putting aside the traditions of the Order by calling for a roll call for Morgentaler when he failed to get unanimous consent. It also overturned the tradition of nominating people of only universal respect, and, non controvercial backgrounds. Morgantaler failed on all 3 criteria.

It's not to say there are not worthy people in there, i know there are many. I just know the award has become increasingly jaded and politically coloured. I have little respect for it any more, although i accord that respect to some recipients and others irrespective of the whether they are an OC. None of that goes to Bev McLachlin who i consider a towering mediocrity, intellectually and morally.

Last edited: