Is dog flesh for food illegal in Canada?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Dog meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this, it isn't. From my past experience, Wikipedia is generally accurate, though it's by no means infallible. Could anyone confirm whether the claim made in the link that dog flesh for the purpose of consumption is legal in Canada is indeed true?

Personally, though I don't like eating any meat, I must admit that I see no moral difference between eating dog flesh or any other. What are your opinions on this?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Dog meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this, it isn't. From my past experience, Wikipedia is generally accurate, though it's by no means infallible. Could anyone confirm whether the claim made in the link that dog flesh for the purpose of consumption is legal in Canada is indeed true?

Personally, though I don't like eating any meat, I must admit that I see no moral difference between eating dog flesh or any other. What are your opinions on this?

I think generally as it was in the Panda Garden Restaurant in Edmonton, public outrage was enough that the restaurant closed down once news was out.

No doubt some people would do it, but then again some people drink their own urine.

If that's your style, go nuts. Worse things happen to dogs in Canada.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t see why dog meat should be illegal, Machjo, it is not as if dog is considered sacred by Christians (the majority religion in Canada).

In India, the cow is regarded as sacred by a large percentage of population (Hindus), but beef is not outlawed. So I don’t see any rationale for outlawing dog meat.

Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating dog, it is just like any other meat animal, I would eat a dog steak if prepared and served properly.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No doubt some people would do it, but then again some people drink their own urine.

Indeed they do, unforgiven. I understand it has some medicinal benefits (something to do with heart disease, I think).

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Very few people have emotional attachments to cows, pigs or chickens, but cats and dogs are pets. People are very selective about which animals should be protected.

Personally, I don't like the thought of eating carnivore meat as it is third hand protein so unless the dog is raised on a vegetarian diet, I don't think I would eat it. Same goes for humans.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Very few people have emotional attachments to cows, pigs or chickens, but cats and dogs are pets. People are very selective about which animals should be protected.

Personally, I don't like the thought of eating carnivore meat as it is third hand protein so unless the dog is raised on a vegetarian diet, I don't think I would eat it. Same goes for humans.

That is in the Western world, Machjo, but in India people have a strong attachment to the cow, it is a religious, sacred symbol. Emotional attachment is purely subjective.

I don't like the thought of eating carnivore meat as it is third hand protein so unless the dog is raised on a vegetarian diet, I don't think I would eat it.

So your objection is not to eating dog per se, you don’t like the idea of eating carnivorous meat. So we are on the same wavelength here, in that I don’t have any strong objection to eating dog meat.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That is in the Western world, Machjo, but in India people have a strong attachment to the cow, it is a religious, sacred symbol. Emotional attachment is purely subjective.

I don't like the thought of eating carnivore meat as it is third hand protein so unless the dog is raised on a vegetarian diet, I don't think I would eat it.

So your objection is not to eating dog per se, you don’t like the idea of eating carnivorous meat. So we are on the same wavelength here, in that I don’t have any strong objection to eating dog meat.
But what about human. It would help control the population explosion. Vegetarians only though, preferably vegan.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I know you are only kidding, Cliffy (at least I hope you re kidding). However, I remember reading a sci fi story once. In that they had learned to synthetically produce human flesh.

And that really lead to a very profound question, is it cannibalism to eat synthetically produced human flesh? The author did not answer it, he only posed the question and ended the story.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I read a book once that dealt with cannibalism as it pertains to some south Asian cultures. It was a spiritual as well as an ecological necessity to keep balance within the human population and the available food supply. The author made perfect sense. I forget the author but I think the book was called There Be Dragons. The article was about the Komodo Dragon and the human colony on that island.

Anywayz, if the economy drops to unrecoverable depths, I see a resurgence of cannibalism coming. My advise is to eat at McRaunchy's and become toxic waste. It is one possible survival tactic.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Indeed they do, unforgiven. I understand it has some medicinal benefits (something to do with heart disease, I think).

No it has to do with them being ****ing bonkers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No it has to do with them being ****ing bonkers.

Not really, unforgiven, it really does have some beneficial effects. I think urine extract is used in heart medicine.

This whole thing was discussed on television more than 20 years ago, when Mr. Desai was the Prime Minister of India (he succeeded Mrs. Gandhi). He used to drink is own urine. CNN did a special on this subject, where they said that urine is beneficial to heart.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don’t see why dog meat should be illegal, Machjo, it is not as if dog is considered sacred by Christians (the majority religion in Canada).

In India, the cow is regarded as sacred by a large percentage of population (Hindus), but beef is not outlawed. So I don’t see any rationale for outlawing dog meat.

Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating dog, it is just like any other meat animal, I would eat a dog steak if prepared and served properly.

I wasn't necessarily saying that I wanted to ban dog meat. I was just curious your ideas.

As for religion, Jesus allowed Christians to eat anything; he abrogated the Mosaic dietary laws after all. But Jews cannot eat dog meat according to kashrut. Now I realise that Judaism and Christianity are two distinct religions, the Old Testament (what Jews kall Tanakh) for Jews and the New Testament for Christians. But I think you and I both know that many Christians haven't clued in yet as to why one is called 'Old Testament' and the other 'New Testament'. I hear fundamentalist Christians confusing the two all the time, always insisting that the OT still applies to Christians, oblivious of the fact that Christ himself abrogated many OT laws.

So if eating dog is banned in the Jewish Faith according to the OT, I can guarantee that at least fundamentalist Christians will insist that it applies to them too.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not really, unforgiven, it really does have some beneficial effects. I think urine extract is used in heart medicine.

This whole thing was discussed on television more than 20 years ago, when Mr. Desai was the Prime Minister of India (he succeeded Mrs. Gandhi). He used to drink is own urine. CNN did a special on this subject, where they said that urine is beneficial to heart.

Hmmm... to each his own, to each his own.

I had read of a case of a man whose urine saved his life when he was stranded and lost and waiting for rescue. Canadian soldiers in WWI also urinated on cloths which they then tied to their faces as it protected them at least somewhat against nerve agents used against them by the Germans.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

How is drinking urine and some urine extract, if that's the case even the same thing?

Yeah so do you have something besides your opinion or is this just you running with something off the top of your head again?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Hmmm... Are you suggesting I start eating meat?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

SJP, I'm not the one you were responding to here.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Given the Korean population, I can't imagine our government would cut them off a dietary staple

Please don't remind me. I had dog on the table once at a restaurant. The table top kept going round and when the dog dish was in front of me... well, I really, really had to pass on it. Now I usually don't eat meat, but on that occasion everyone was insistent, so I did a little. But the dog dish, that was too much. The rest of themeat was bad enough, especially the live crayfish drowning in spicy sauce.

On another occasion, I had dog meat in my soup, thinking at first it was mushrooms, then thinking it was beef, only to then have the waitress tell me it was... DOG!

I couldn't east the rest of that dish... just the thought.:-(