Calgary or Edmonton?

steve_american

Apr 19, 2009
Cowtown
Greetings fellow Canadians,

I am new to CC, my handle is steve_american. I hold citizenship in the U.S hence the name, although I am also a Canadian citizen, born and raised, and my roots lay deep within this frozen tundra.

Edit: I see now it has been asked, but I'd still like your recent opinions!
--
I must apologize as I am unsure if this question has been posted before. However, which city do you like the most, Calgary or Edmonton?

At 18 I left my town, Gibsons, B.C, to find a job on an oil rig in Alberta. My best friend and I moved to Red Deer initially, although I was the only one to stay. After working in a slaughterhouse I did have a lot of fun on an oil rig all summer long and some of early fall, where I eventually realized I could not last through the winter at this job. Living in central Alberta allowed me to explore nearly the entire province. It has been a pleasure. Driving up and down from either Edmonton or Calgary back to Red Deer, following the lights of the surrounding towns on Highway-2 was such a great experience.

Recently though, I have found a new home in Calgary while I'm attending college. I have fallen in love with Calgary, and the province of Alberta, where I've met not only people from Gibsons, Vancouver, lost cousins from Cape Breton (even sharing the same last name), and many more smiling, cold, frozen, faces. :p

Despite Vancouver holding the title of world's most livable city and the province being beautiful as it is, you cannot ignore the constant rain and the reflected attitudes. So after I go back to the rainy coast to reorganize myself, I'd like to have an idea of which city is best. Cuz I'm probly comin' back!

So, Canada, which Albertan metropolitan hub do you like the most? We have Edmonton at the top of the corridor, and Calgary at the bottom, resting beside the Rocky Mountains. While I have been to Edmonton a dozen times throughout the summertime, I know litte about the city except that Whyte Ave. looks like a party strip and they have a big ass mall.. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your opinions.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Calgary is a nicer city in the winter but Edmonton is best in the summer. Not just the cities but the areas. I live in Southern Alberta and my parents live in Edmonton. I far prefer summers north of Red Deer but I laugh at them all winter long.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Edmonton is fantastic in the summer. The river valley, the festivals, Whyte Ave, et al... All great. Winter, however, is colder than sh*t and the opportunities in town dry up really fast.

In terms of your question re: which city is better/offers more.. I live in Calgary.. My opinion is highly skewed.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That just reinforces how difficult it is to be a hockey fan in Calgary....when one considers the Yotes a hockey team it's apparent that standards are awfully low.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I like Cowtown, spent a lot of time there with family over the past dozen years. Haven't really had much to do with Edmonton, just passed through it a number of times on the way north. Edmonton's weather isn't as erratic as Calgary's. In Edmonton in the winter you get winter, in Calgary at any time you can get all four seasons within a day or so. Calgary seems to be easier to drive in, although the driving habits of many Calgarians leave much to be desired. For instance when you want to merge into another lane, they will do everything in their power to stop you.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Greetings fellow Canadians,

I am new to CC, my handle is steve_american. I hold citizenship in the U.S hence the name, although I am also a Canadian citizen, born and raised, and my roots lay deep within this frozen tundra.

Edit: I see now it has been asked, but I'd still like your recent opinions!
--
I must apologize as I am unsure if this question has been posted before. However, which city do you like the most, Calgary or Edmonton?

At 18 I left my town, Gibsons, B.C, to find a job on an oil rig in Alberta. My best friend and I moved to Red Deer initially, although I was the only one to stay. After working in a slaughterhouse I did have a lot of fun on an oil rig all summer long and some of early fall, where I eventually realized I could not last through the winter at this job. Living in central Alberta allowed me to explore nearly the entire province. It has been a pleasure. Driving up and down from either Edmonton or Calgary back to Red Deer, following the lights of the surrounding towns on Highway-2 was such a great experience.

Recently though, I have found a new home in Calgary while I'm attending college. I have fallen in love with Calgary, and the province of Alberta, where I've met not only people from Gibsons, Vancouver, lost cousins from Cape Breton (even sharing the same last name), and many more smiling, cold, frozen, faces. :p

Despite Vancouver holding the title of world's most livable city and the province being beautiful as it is, you cannot ignore the constant rain and the reflected attitudes. So after I go back to the rainy coast to reorganize myself, I'd like to have an idea of which city is best. Cuz I'm probly comin' back!

So, Canada, which Albertan metropolitan hub do you like the most? We have Edmonton at the top of the corridor, and Calgary at the bottom, resting beside the Rocky Mountains. While I have been to Edmonton a dozen times throughout the summertime, I know litte about the city except that Whyte Ave. looks like a party strip and they have a big ass mall.. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your opinions.
You were born and raised on the Sunshine Coast and you are willing to give it up for Calgary or Edmonton? 8O Were you there today? Did you shovel snow there today because both cities got their fair share. Yes, we got a little wet but - sun was shining until dark and it's supposed to be quite lovely for the rest of the week. Live at home.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
any place you move will be what you make of it. Seek out the good stuff... let the annoying stuff slide, and you'll do just fine. Find the place that fits you best for real estate and work, family and friends, and just enjoy it, regardless of how other people want to trumpet about how their home cities or areas are superior.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I was raised in small town Northern Alberta (where a trip to the city meant a trip to Edmonton) and I've lived in Calgary for the past 9 years. My personal preference would be Edmonton but its not a run away choice and others would disagree with me. A big part is the pace: Calgary runs on caffeine, nicotine and adrenaline from about 7:00 am until 6:00pm then crashes hard. Where Edmonton has a slower but more constant pace. But like I (and others have) said both cities have a lot to recommend them.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Edmonton: the only city I've ever seen with 4 sections to the same street broken up by river, gully, and river again. I guess they didn't like the idea of naming each section by something different.
Calgary is sooo easy to get around in. It's further south and is a little better in winter than Edmonton even though it can snow in July there. It has the Husky/Calgary Tower where from I once took a pic of a lightning storm at night and got 7 different strikes in one pic. :D
Hockey & football teams don't care where you live.
Other than that, where you get work and find a home are probably most important factors.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
any place you move will be what you make of it. Seek out the good stuff... let the annoying stuff slide, and you'll do just fine. Find the place that fits you best for real estate and work, family and friends, and just enjoy it, regardless of how other people want to trumpet about how their home cities or areas are superior.
I don't necessarily agree that any place you move is what you make it. I've lived in a lot of places and you get friendly places and the not so friendly places. Things like weather and how you accept them are what you make it. It's like living where I do. Some people say they hate the rain and they need more sun. Then you can read a weather report right across Canada and we are either having the same weather as everyone else or maybe even a little better. Some people hate snow and every flake just represents another bad day. My preference is warm dry weather so I guess I should be living in another country in reality but we all know that other things factor in. At least for most of us. We want to live where there is family so for the most part, the weather is a moot point. At different ages in life weather doesn't matter to most people. Jobs matter. I think in the end, for the average person, a job dictates where you will live. If you enjoy where you live, you will tout it as the best place on earth. I like where I live but even though I have said it's a great place to live, given the choice, I would live in the Okanagan. It's hot there and you really need air-conditioning but that's what I like. If our kids and their families lived up there so would we. I think it's better to feel your city is superior than to hate it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Jobs matter. I think in the end, for the average person, a job dictates where you will live. If you enjoy where you live, you will tout it as the best place on earth. I like where I live but even though I have said it's a great place to live, given the choice, I would live in the Okanagan. It's hot there and you really need air-conditioning but that's what I like. If our kids and their families lived up there so would we. I think it's better to feel your city is superior than to hate it.

which is exactly what I said. If you seek out where your family or friends are, where a job you love is, then the rest falls into place and other issues don't matter. It is what you make of it. But chasing someone else's ideal city is a good way to end up miserable.

steve_american

Apr 19, 2009
Cowtown
You were born and raised on the Sunshine Coast and you are willing to give it up for Calgary or Edmonton? 8O Were you there today? Did you shovel snow there today because both cities got their fair share. Yes, we got a little wet but - sun was shining until dark and it's supposed to be quite lovely for the rest of the week. Live at home.

I was actually born in Sydney, Cape Breton. But I was raised on the coast. And where am I supposed to go when I'm bored? Sechelt, Earl's Cove? No thanks.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I was actually born in Sydney, Cape Breton. But I was raised on the coast. And where am I supposed to go when I'm bored? Sechelt, Earl's Cove? No thanks.
I knew you would come back with that because they are small towns and you've probably known them all your life. Some people love the big cities and if you do, then go for it. I hate huge cities but like you, I was raised in a small town. Oddly enough, while we are across the water, Nanaimo is still part of the Sunshine Coast. Have you ever been over here?