Canadian outsourcing trends - what do you think?

bd7503
Hey All,

We compiled some data on Global outsourcing trends, particularly to Canada, that show some (hopefully) very interesting info for the industry, especially on the growth of freelancer work and job growth. We think this shows some fascinating wage stats about Canadians who choose to take control of their career and work from home, but are reaching out to Canadian business professionals for their input and thoughts.

Please take a few moments to check our Outsourcing to Canada Trends and let me know if anyone has any comments/suggestions/requests. We call it our Oconomy, and it contains live info and charts on global outsourcing trends in Canada. View trends by skill, industry growth and popular IT and admin providers.

I'd love to get a good discussion going on this to guage your thoughts and opinions. Do you think the data is reflective of the true state of the Canadian economy? Do you freelance? How does your experience compare with the trends shown here?

Also, if there is specific data anyone would like to know, ping me and I may be able to reach into our database and pull them up for you.

~ Rebecca

JLM
Outsourcing is a fact of life, and not much is going to happen to change it, unless people want to all work for $5 an hour. I shop a lot at Walmart when I'm in a place where one is handy, because they can provide the low priced articles where quality isn't paramount at a reasonable price. When I get to the point where I need a pacemaker I'm not going to buy it from Walmart, but for stuff like shoe laces and paper clips I'm not willing to pay some guy $25 an hour plus benefits to build them.

Said1
We can't compete with slaves, so we might as well buy their products.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Outsourcing is a fact of life, and not much is going to happen to change it, unless people want to all work for $5 an hour. I shop a lot at Walmart when I'm in a place where one is handy, because they can provide the low priced articles where quality isn't paramount at a reasonable price. When I get to the point where I need a pacemaker I'm not going to buy it from Walmart, but for stuff like shoe laces and paper clips I'm not willing to pay some guy $25 an hour plus benefits to build them.

Don't fool yourself you'll be buying the Wal-Mart piece. Outsourcing is becomeing history very quickly, second quarter of this year and your make believe world disappears. I hope you have a skill, something like tinker tailor or candle stick maker will feed you nicely but if you're unskilled well we can't be offering you much above $5 an hour.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by bd7503View Post

Hey All,

We compiled some data on Global outsourcing trends, particularly to Canada, that show some (hopefully) very interesting info for the industry, especially on the growth of freelancer work and job growth. We think this shows some fascinating wage stats about Canadians who choose to take control of their career and work from home, but are reaching out to Canadian business professionals for their input and thoughts.

Please take a few moments to check our Outsourcing to Canada Trends and let me know if anyone has any comments/suggestions/requests. We call it our Oconomy, and it contains live info and charts on global outsourcing trends in Canada. View trends by skill, industry growth and popular IT and admin providers.

I'd love to get a good discussion going on this to guage your thoughts and opinions. Do you think the data is reflective of the true state of the Canadian economy? Do you freelance? How does your experience compare with the trends shown here?

Also, if there is specific data anyone would like to know, ping me and I may be able to reach into our database and pull them up for you.

~ Rebecca

You don't seem to be watching the economy nor do you seem to be very realistic about the immeadiate future. The true state of the Canadian economy is frightfull.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

We can't compete with slaves, so we might as well buy their products.

With what?

Francis2004
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

You don't seem to be watching the economy nor do you seem to be very realistic about the immeadiate future. The true state of the Canadian economy is frightfull.

Out of curiosity what field of work are you in db ?

Are you in High Tech or the IT field ?

Just as you would say " a question? "

Said1

With what?

Johnny Cash downloads.

Nuggler

Johnny Cash downloads.

Used Stompin Tom plywood.

Francis2004

Johnny Cash downloads.

Personally I would have thought Canadian Tire or Monopoly Money but hey what ever works..

JLM

Don't fool yourself you'll be buying the Wal-Mart piece. Outsourcing is becomeing history very quickly, second quarter of this year and your make believe world disappears. I hope you have a skill, something like tinker tailor or candle stick maker will feed you nicely but if you're unskilled well we can't be offering you much above $5 an hour.

Actually I think I've been more or less living the real world - in my mind anyway. The position we are in now didn't happen overnight. It's been building since the end of the war. Union demands, rampant inflation, endless credit based largely on no collateral, people frantically trying to keep up with the Joneses, a lot of whom should be in jail for white collar robbery from unsuspecting consumers. If you think outsourcing is going to stop within six months, hey I have a bridge for sale cheap.

Francis2004

Actually I think I've been more or less living the real world - in my mind anyway. The position we are in now didn't happen overnight. It's been building since the end of the war. Union demands, rampant inflation, endless credit based largely on no collateral, people frantically trying to keep up with the Joneses, a lot of whom should be in jail for white collar robbery from unsuspecting consumers. If you think outsourcing is going to stop within six months, hey I have a bridge for sale cheap.

JLM, db can try to scare you all she wants but the reality of outsourcing has been a reality of High Tech for about 10 years on the scale that it impacted NA. We could never produce the 1,000,000 pcs volumes here and that is why Korea was the market in the past and now China is our present market of choice. The next market is believed to be subdivied back into 3 segments IMO.

A mix of China / India for the Asian market space
South America for North America
Africa ( stable countries ) for Europe

Reality is we cannot afford to transport product from Asia around the world in ships if fuel rises again. It is also a reality that these other countries can compete on a dollar to dollar aspect to China who has had a spiking rise in personal income.

Meeting carbon and resource transport makes this more a reality for these products.

In North America we have already seen a shift back to Mexico and South America of some high volume production. Dell as an example now makes computers in Mexico to cut fuel costs..

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by SirFrancis2004View Post

JLM, db can try to scare you all she wants but the reality of outsourcing has been a reality of High Tech for about 10 years on the scale that it impacted NA. We could never produce the 1,000,000 pcs volumes here and that is why Korea was the market in the past and now China is our present market of choice. The next market is believed to be subdivied back into 3 segments IMO.

A mix of China / India for the Asian market space
South America for North America
Africa ( stable countries ) for Europe

Reality is we cannot afford to transport product from Asia around the world in ships if fuel rises again. It is also a reality that these other countries can compete on a dollar to dollar aspect to China who has had a spiking rise in personal income.

Meeting carbon and resource transport makes this more a reality for these products.

In North America we have already seen a shift back to Mexico and South America of some high volume production. Dell as an example now makes computers in Mexico to cut fuel costs..

I'm pretty sure db is a he and not a she. Though I agree with much of what
you say, here's a piece of irony. I have a friend who's very well off and actually
reminds me very much of Dexter Sinister on this forum, as he's also a former
engineer. This guy realized that something was wonky in the markets a couple
of years ago and made what seemed like some strange investments at the time.

This guy never invested in oil, but in companies that shipped oil. Pipelines and
ships and such. He made $$$ when oil was priced very high, and right now he's
making $$$ with oil priced very low. Becouse it is priced so low, oil is being
bought and horded until the price goes up and places to store oil have run out.
Some oil tanker ships are actually fully loaded and just slowly sailing around 'cuz
the fuel to move them is less cost than harbour fee's to have them sit (as mobile
storage tanks) until the price goes up. Tanker ships cruising slowly in big lazy
circles without unloading or docking anywhere makes him as much money as
when they're hauling lots of loads of oil, 'cuz the ships are still loaded with
someone elses oil. I know this is off topic, but a good story and shows the
carbon footprint concept vrs a finacially relevant perspective.

Liberalman
Outsourcing is acceptable as long as it is to Canada outsoucing to other countries makes the economy tank

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by SirFrancis2004View Post

Out of curiosity what field of work are you in db ?

Are you in High Tech or the IT field ?

Just as you would say " a question? "

Work? When have I offered such insult to yourself that you should injure me so with such implication. How dare you use that word with respect to my self. If you must know, I am an independent mad scientist and cannibis addict. I raised pigs and chickens in a field this past summer and I errected huge wind turbines in an adjacent pasture. I am presently engaged in high energy field research at a little known private institution, hidden in the Cobequid mountain range of North Eastern N.S. I hope that satisfys your lust for knowledge.

darkbeaver

Ah so I see by your list that we are not philisopically too far apart. However wages are the underpinnings of any economy, as you should well know you cannot extract from an economy that which is not there. Unions wages have in fact, previous to this period, ensured the flow of wealth from the base of the pyramid to it's lofty peak. Forigne outsourcing, in avoidance of cost, depend on domestic demand which depend on domestic wages which depend on domestic employment levels, this is well understood. Once that cycle was interrupted the destruction of the industrial base was sure to follow, it's replacement with the service economy was purely a stop gap affair only meant to last untill the real assets had been consolodated.
In my opinion, which is shared by many independent economists of international note, is that there can be no western economic recovery without a domestic industrial base, you know ours lies in ruins, it is forcast that no less than a decade of very hard work is required to rebuild that capacity. That can and very likely will be accellarated by war, following the laws of necessity. You tamper with the primacy of labour at your own eventual great expence, credit misuse, which can only be postponed but never avoided indefinately. It is at that great point of rekoning that our western economies find themselves. The piper is long past overdue his payment. IMO

Francis2004

Work? When have I offered such insult to yourself that you should injure me so with such implication. How dare you use that word with respect to my self. If you must know, I am an independent mad scientist and cannibis addict. I raised pigs and chickens in a field this past summer and I errected huge wind turbines in an adjacent pasture. I am presently engaged in high energy field research at a little known private institution, hidden in the Cobequid mountain range of North Eastern N.S. I hope that satisfys your lust for knowledge.

Ha ha ha, sorry db no insult meant...

However as I teach my children I will never satisfy my lust for knowledge. The day I do they will be putting me 7 feet under.

Glad to hear about the scientist part. Must I just add the mad to that part of your life as you seem angry at much other things, "bankers" being one of them ( in your terminology of course )?

Perhaps you may enlighten me as to the extent of that "mad" part of life.