the next "Great Depressions" great explanation

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Mikhail Khazin: U.S. will soon face second "Great Depression"

Renowned economist Khazin predicted U.S. financial crisis in 2000

By Yevgeniy Chernyx
November 10, 2008 "KP.RU" - -- Five years ago, I ran the cultural section at Komsomolskaya Pravda. Publishing houses used to send me their new releases now and again for review. One day, after digging through the latest shipment of such literature, I stumbled upon a book titled, "Sunset of the Dollar Empire and the End of the Pax Americana."

I remember reading the title over to myself several times in disbelief. Way back when, Soviet Americanologists loved to debate the collapse of the U.S. financial empire. But this book was published in 2003.

I flipped through the pages, skimming over the text. The conclusions of the author — an economist named Mikhail Khazin — seemed convincing enough. So I gave the book to our economics columnist at KP Jenya Anisimov, who wrote a review and interviewed the author later at our editorial offices.

All these years, I kept Khazin in the back of my mind, and followed his career as he spoke at various conferences throughout Russia. He seemed certain the U.S. was teetering on the verge of an economic collapse, while other analysts were quick to refute his theory. Now, as his once unfathomable prognosis begins to come true, KP contacted Khazin for an interview.

Fired from the Kremlin!

KP: Mikhail Leonidovich, how did you end up predicting the current financial crisis?

Khazin: In the spring of 1997, the Kremlin established the Presidential Economic Department. I was made the deputy head of the unit. Our first task was to prepare a report for [former President Boris] Yeltsin about the economic situation. We realized an economic crisis was pending in Russia and would take place in the late summer or early fall of 1998 if the country''s economic policies weren't changed.

KP: What view did the higher echelons take of your report?

Khazin: They didn't really take any view at all. No one read the text except for the deputy head of the administration and Yeltsin himself. In the summer of 1998, we were fired from the presidential administration for trying to stop a business project titled, "State Treasury Bills— Exchange Rate Corridor." This was the biggest financial scheme of the post-Soviet era. Just as we had predicted, an economic crisis gave way that August. Together with my colleagues, I continued researching the reasons behind the crisis.

After becoming seriously consumed in our studies of the U.S. financial system, we found an unprecedented parallel. Just as our T-bill market had sucked all the juices out of the Russian economy, the U.S. financial market was sucking the resources out of the entire planet. We realized a similar fate awaited the U.S. financial system. Our article was published in the summer of 2000 in the "Ekspert" magazine, titled, "Is the U.S. Digging for an Apocalypse." We concluded that it was just as impossible to avoid an economic crisis in the U.S. as the financial collapse in Russia.

Playing the idiot

KP: The U.S. obviously didn't listen to the song written by [the renowned Russian rock group] LUBE during perestroika, "Don't Play the Fool, America!" Seriously, though, what's the real reason for the economic collapse? Let's try to do this without any heavy duty financial terms...

Khazin: I'll try! The economic model that led to the collapse was the result of a crisis in the 1970s. This was a terrible financial crisis that was the result of surplus capital. Even the 19th-Century classics in economics literature concluded that capital grows faster than labor provides compensation. As a result, there is a lack of demand. In traditional capitalism, this problem is solved on account of crises in excess production. And in an imperialistic system, the problem is solved on account of capital outflow. But by the 1970s, these solutions had run their course. However, the internatinoal situation demanded the U.S. either make a great scientific and technological leap forward or lose the Cold War to the USSR. The administration of [President Jimmy] Carter and the head of the Financial Reserve System Paul Walker developed a very tricky concept. For the first time in the history of capitalism, capitalists began helping others, issuing new currency in an effort to stimulate aggregate demand .

KP: They decided to switch on the printing press?

Khazin: Exactly. In the early 1980s, they started to stimulate demand through state support. For example, they launched the "Star Wars" program. As of 1983, they placed an emphasis on the household economies.

KP: You mean, they relied on the average citizens?

Khazin: Yes. For an entire quarter century, households received funds as a result of issuing new currency in larger and larger quantities.

KP: In other words, credit?

Khazin: Yes. The U.S. was able to make the next step in technological progress as a result of this excess demand. They accomplished the collapse of the USSR and numerous other significant fears. But... The boom took place thanks to resources that were supposed to provide for future growth. The country ate its own resources two generations ahead of time. The U.S. built up tremendous debt. This is clearly seen if we compare the growth of debt in U.S. households with the entire U.S. debt and GDP. The economy is growing at an annual rate of 2-3, or at a maximum 4 percent. But debt is increasing at a rate of 8-10 percent.
KP: Well, let the debt keep growing... The U.S. lived fine up until now without a problem... Better than we did!

Khazin: Yes, the U.S. did create a very high standard of living by stimulating consumer demand. Generations lived without having to experience poverty. But it's impossible to live forever in debt. Household debt has now surpassed the national economy — more than $14 trillion. Now it's time to pay up. Of course, Wall Street tried to postpone this collapse. I won't go into detail about derivatives and other such financial assets, but this was just a gasp for air before an inevitable death.

Another problem in the U.S. is that powerful industries were built around this growing demand. Whatever decision Wall Street takes right now, the demand is going to fall. What will happen to these industries? In 2000, we estimated that 25 percent of the U.S. economy would disappear. Today, we think the number is closest to one-third — if not more.

KP: That's a lot!

Khazin: That's an incredible amount! But what exactly does this mean — the destruction of one-fourth of the U.S. economy? It means an uncontrollable increase in unemployment, a horrible depression, a sharp increase in the effect of social services on the budget... Now, the U.S. is jumping all over the place doing everything its can to rescue this fraction of the economy. The government is stimulating banks and manufacturing... But regardless, in 2-3 years, the U.S. will face a crisis similar to the Great Depression.

Who is Who

Mikhail Leonidovich Khazin was born in 1962. He studied mathematics at the Yaroslavl University and Moscow State University. In 1984-1991, he worked at the Soviet Academy of Sciences. In 1993-1994, he worked at the State Working Center of Economic Reforms. In 1995-1997, he was the head of the Credit Policy Department at the Economics Ministry. In 1997-1998, he was the deputy head of the Presidential Economics Department. In June 1998, he left state service. At the moment, he is president of the consulting firm, Neokon.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
d.b.,

Great research and an intriguing article.

It has made the situation much easier for me to comprehend.

I applaud you for this.

regards,
scratch

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I don't think anyone should feel intimitated about the complexities of modern economics, the devil is definitely in the details and the details are in very fine print. Sometimes I run accross articles by writers who know how to reach the hopelessly confused like me.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well of course he would've predicted that in 2000. Who wasn't calling for depression durting the collapse of tech? I assume he was predicting something much earlier than 2008-2009.

What isn't built around growing demand? The newly crowned economic giants aren't fairing any better, most of them worse, when the US consumer stops buying. I see China just announced a 2-trillion dollar stimulus package to cope with their problems.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well of course he would've predicted that in 2000. Who wasn't calling for depression durting the collapse of tech? I assume he was predicting something much earlier than 2008-2009.

What isn't built around growing demand? The newly crowned economic giants aren't fairing any better, most of them worse, when the US consumer stops buying. I see China just announced a 2-trillion dollar stimulus package to cope with their problems.

Good question, with so many sides and angles. It would seem to me that in the light of the economics of this last decade that sustainability isn't built on growing demand.
It's a long fall for the tallest, the USA will hit bottom harder than the eastern economic giants, a lot harder, and that's a good thing because the longer they exist as a viable power the more dangerous and destructive they will become in a hopeless struggle to remain imperial. They are vassels of Israel and as such completely expendable.
In any case there will be global depression of long duration, but the war will make us forget the economy and we'll be fully engaged saving the world from something.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I guess nobody likes great depressions or hyperinflationary depressions or war to end depressions, jesus christ some economists are psycopathic monsters those ****ers would slit grannies throat for a few pieces of gold or points on some chart or profits indexed on misery futures.

We got a couple of years, only, to prepare for very tough very different times if you intend to hide from it you better start last year. If son O god dosn't get back soon he won't have SFA to save.:lol:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I guess nobody likes great depressions or hyperinflationary depressions or war to end depressions, jesus christ some economists are psycopathic monsters those ****ers would slit grannies throat for a few pieces of gold or points on some chart or profits indexed on misery futures.

We got a couple of years, only, to prepare for very tough very different times if you intend to hide from it you better start last year. If son O god dosn't get back soon he won't have SFA to save.:lol:

I don't think that anyone can quarrel with that!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
darkbeaver, I wouldn’t put too much faith in the predictions by a Russian economist as to what will happen in USA.

I am not saying that a depression won’t necessarily occur, but chances are against it. I will be very surprised if we do get a depression. Incidentally, is there an economic definition of depression, as there is of recession (negative GDP growth in two consecutive quarters)? How is depression defined?

The fact that Khazin predicted correctly something in the past is not an indicator that he will be right again.

I remember in 1987, the great financial guru Abbey Cohen correctly predicted the coming crash of the stock market. She advised her clients to pull out of the stock market ahead of the crash.

Unfortunately, she didn’t correctly predict the coming recovery. Within six months, stock market had made up what it lost during the crash and more. Overall her clients came out worse off.

So there will certainly be a recession (we probably are in one already). But depression? We just don’t know, although it seems highly unlikely.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I guess we need someone like Toro to come and say that everything is just fine....no problems here.

Good article DB

Good-day Alberta, Toro's has been very busy trying to figure out how to get his money out of the stone I guess. I wouldn't tease him too much he's an ok guy for a currency trader. He owes me drinks too. So what's going on in the world Alberta? I think you've been studying this thing a lot longer than I have and you've always steered me in interesting informative directions.Boot me along a little further will you?

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
So there will certainly be a recession (we probably are in one already). But depression? We just don’t know, although it seems highly unlikely.

GM stocks....$2.88
Chrysler........$1.74

The main industrial market of the US is now considered a small cap stock. Sorry to say but the US is being sucked into a black hole that it can never come out of. Funds are drying up for all the big corps and they will have no choice but to lay off employees in order to keep the remaining stock holders happy and without jobs ....there is no economy.....and the depression begins.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
darkbeaver, I wouldn’t put too much faith in the predictions by a Russian economist as to what will happen in USA.

I am not saying that a depression won’t necessarily occur, but chances are against it. I will be very surprised if we do get a depression. Incidentally, is there an economic definition of depression, as there is of recession (negative GDP growth in two consecutive quarters)? How is depression defined?

The fact that Khazin predicted correctly something in the past is not an indicator that he will be right again.

I remember in 1987, the great financial guru Abbey Cohen correctly predicted the coming crash of the stock market. She advised her clients to pull out of the stock market ahead of the crash.

Unfortunately, she didn’t correctly predict the coming recovery. Within six months, stock market had made up what it lost during the crash and more. Overall her clients came out worse off.

I was reading the clinicle description of great depressions just last week, I have the idea that it was a combination of factors like money supply, unemployment, GDP, debt and I seem to remember five or six quarters with negative growth, which incidentally we've already had depending on who's data you believe, all the shadow gov sights are more reliable than the officials. It seem highly likely that we will undergo a great depression in two or three years and collapse of the USD or what's left of it shortly afterward. I don't see what you base an economic recovery on Sir the pieces I read are singularly gloomy, most indicate severe contraction severe depression and war, it seems there is no way to put humpty back on the wall, so the best of circumstances might be default and or complete forgivness of debt.

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
I wouldn't tease him too much he's an ok guy for a currency trader.

I'm sure he is. And it is his job to keep confidence in traders other wise he's out of work. I just can't get over the statements that "everything is fine" when clearly it was not and is not.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
GM stocks....$2.88
Chrysler........$1.74

The main industrial market of the US is now considered a small cap stock. Sorry to say but the US is being sucked into a black hole that it can never come out of. Funds are drying up for all the big corps and they will have no choice but to lay off employees in order to keep the remaining stock holders happy and without jobs ....there is no economy.....and the depression begins.

Well I guess it's going to be a wild couple of decades then. Some people don't believe that though Alberta, they believe Obama and the tooth fairie. Hey, the fundementals are strong. haha

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
Also take away the profits that someone like haliburton is making in Iraq and all the corporate profiteering going on there and then look at the GDP. It becomes a whole new ball game.

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
And DB we both know that the system is designed to be in debt. Banksters rule the world and there is nothing we can do about it but let it crash to the ground and hope that we do not allow them to as quoted

"The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with
the flick of the pen they will create enough money to buy it back again.
However, take away from them the power to create money,and all the great fortunes like mine
will disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to
remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money."
-Sir Josiah Stamp
Former Director of
The Bank of England

to create the whole mess all over again.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I'm leaning towards global war as a way out for the west. I don't think there will be unanimous support for any US led plan and I believe everyone is delevereging as fast as possible so the global economy is already out of American control. This meeting of the G20 on the 15th should be a screaming match and a punch fest, everyone is afraid to leave the US as quartermaster and equaly afraid to be seen getting of the ship, of course Canadians don't have a choice because of geography but that's another story. We will notice that the military industrial complex remains intact the history I think suggests that it will be used to great effect. When you can't buy you have to steal, only this time it won't be so covert, it'll be in our faces armed rape of any resource in their reach.