Why do women allow crime on the streets?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Are women so unpolitical? I seem to hear often that women do not feel safe on the streets, yet how many women campaign for safe streets? Men commit almost all the violent murders, rapes, and muggings, yet women seem silent on this issue. They are silent in not supporting long prison terms for men who commit violent crimes.

How many women out there feel safe walking the streets at night? All? Some?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Are women so unpolitical? I seem to hear often that women do not feel safe on the streets, yet how many women campaign for safe streets? Men commit almost all the violent murders, rapes, and muggings, yet women seem silent on this issue. They are silent in not supporting long prison terms for men who commit violent crimes.

dumpthemonarchy....You & I seem to know different women. The ones in my life usually don't
have much of a problem getting their idea's across. I believe most women are less fool-hardy
than us thick headed males though and know to avoid the situations than we might walk
through. Maybe the women you know are silent, but we walk in different circles.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Maybe if you can't hear them talking it's because you've stopped listening. *shrug* I don't feel that unsafe walking the streets... I've been harassed a few times, and every single time I either defended myself or scared the bastard off.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Silent? I guarantee you that's the last thing anybody would call me!!! If you think women are unpolitical, you are ignoring those who have worked tirelessly for legal abortion, accessible childcare, healthcare, ending violence against women and children in general, etc. Take back the night is one classic example. Supporting long prison terms isn't going to do it unfortunately. The reality is few men who commit violent offenses against women will ever even be charged with the crime let alone serve time for it.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Silent? I guarantee you that's the last thing anybody would call me!!! If you think women are unpolitical, you are ignoring those who have worked tirelessly for legal abortion, accessible childcare, healthcare, ending violence against women and children in general, etc. Take back the night is one classic example. Supporting long prison terms isn't going to do it unfortunately. The reality is few men who commit violent offenses against women will ever even be charged with the crime let alone serve time for it.

Do you or your colleagues or supporters think that all men are this way? Or is it a case of those men who should have been kept in prison forever or until deemed rehabilitated?

Do you personally think that men are by nature predators or just the few?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Do you or your colleagues or supporters think that all men are this way? Or is it a case of those men who should have been kept in prison forever or until deemed rehabilitated?

Do you personally think that men are by nature predators or just the few?

I don't believe men are naturally predators at all. I'm almost 30 and have never been assaulted by a man in my entire life. I do think there are violent people out there who should be put in jail and never let out. They represent the extreme end of the spectrum. Look at that other thread where a man raped 2 children and killed another for a good example.

I just think it's important to acknowledge the reality that most men who commit violent acts won't ever be arrested, charged or spend any time in jail. The most common face of abuse for women isn't usually a stranger. It's more likely to be your father, your uncle, a family friend, your teacher, your date, your boyfriend or your husband. Most likely the victim will never report the crime either because she's embarassed, she blames herself or she loves her abuser and doesn't want him to get into trouble.

The stranger who attacks a woman walking alone at night exists, and needs to be dealt with. I just don't think he should get the majority of the focus when he's very uncommon. It's easier for a woman to go to the cops and say a man attacked her on the street and raped her (though it's still difficult). We need to make those crimes more reportable and the process better (the papers here were reporting over 2000 rape kits haven't even been tested!!!). But, we also need to start focusing on the much more common threat that exists and that's not the stranger. Most of those men can probably be helped to learn to control the impulses that cause them to be violent.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I don't believe men are naturally predators at all. I'm almost 30 and have never been assaulted by a man in my entire life. I do think there are violent people out there who should be put in jail and never let out. They represent the extreme end of the spectrum. Look at that other thread where a man raped 2 children and killed another for a good example.

I just think it's important to acknowledge the reality that most men who commit violent acts won't ever be arrested, charged or spend any time in jail. The most common face of abuse for women isn't usually a stranger. It's more likely to be your father, your uncle, a family friend, your teacher, your date, your boyfriend or your husband. Most likely the victim will never report the crime either because she's embarassed, she blames herself or she loves her abuser and doesn't want him to get into trouble.

The stranger who attacks a woman walking alone at night exists, and needs to be dealt with. I just don't think he should get the majority of the focus when he's very uncommon. It's easier for a woman to go to the cops and say a man attacked her on the street and raped her (though it's still difficult). We need to make those crimes more reportable and the process better (the papers here were reporting over 2000 rape kits haven't even been tested!!!). But, we also need to start focusing on the much more common threat that exists and that's not the stranger. Most of those men can probably be helped to learn to control the impulses that cause them to be violent.

I could say that I empathize with the situation but that some how seems hollow coming from a male. The system sucks and the treatment of the victim seems to be worse that the treatment of the assailants.
It's beyond my comprehension and there is little that I can do about it. It's very frustrating and it angers me so.

regards,
scratch

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I really do wish that abusive females were more recognized and dealt with. Even when a guy has to sic the Law onto them, he gets grins and attitude - unless it happens to be a female cop. Some psychobabes actually press and push to see how far they can torture test the relationship before its breaking point. I can introduce you to three of them....

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I really do wish that abusive females were more recognized and dealt with. Even when a guy has to sic the Law onto them, he gets grins and attitude - unless it happens to be a female cop.

Unfortunately LW, this is and has been the case for women seeking protection from abuse for .... well.... forever I guess.

I've never had any respect for a woman who abuse their partner - it puts the man in a horrible position - he should honour the "don't hit a woman" rule, but on the other hand, he needs to be able to defend himself too.

Curious why you think a female cop would be more sympathetic to a man being abused?

Some psychobabes actually press and push to see how far they can torture test the relationship before its breaking point. I can introduce you to three of them....

I think we've all seen one of these kinds of women in action.... but I don't believe it's a behaviour specific to women. I've known a couple men who act like this too. It's ugly on whoever is engaging in it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Lone, very brave of you to broach that subject. But glad you did.

My father was a security guard in a very well known apartment complex. He left it because he became infuriated with woman who protect their abusers. He'd be forced to remove an abusive male and have to fend off the woman! They would punch, kick and bite him and he could do nothing about it. So were these woman abused? were they abusers? They were enablers and codependants that's for sure.

I don't believe women are as weak as we sometimes let ourselves believe or are told we are. Maybe hundreds of years of being told we are incapable and to feable will take longer to shake off then the 40-50yrs of liberation we've had?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
don't hit a woman" rule,

Maybe the rule should simply be "don't hit another person regardless of gender" Or "hit only if you can take a hit back".

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Maybe the rule should simply be "don't hit another person regardless of gender" Or "hit only if you can take a hit back".

well really, when you think about it, that should be the rule. As a species, we've used violence to express ourselves for far too long.

This subject can be explored from so many angles - wish I could stick around and discuss, but I'm off to do soccer-mom duties....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unfortunately LW, this is and has been the case for women seeking protection from abuse for .... well.... forever I guess.

I've never had any respect for a woman who abuse their partner - it puts the man in a horrible position - he should honour the "don't hit a woman" rule, but on the other hand, he needs to be able to defend himself too.

Curious why you think a female cop would be more sympathetic to a man being abused?

I was curious too ... so I asked. Constable Neeley was very candid in that she considers those women to be the ones who are most likely to be the source of trouble and make it hard for a woman with genuine concerns to be taken seriously. The two males I've dealt with both had the same attitude: "You're bigger than her. What's your problem?" I doubt if they'd hesitate to cuff me and give me a ride to their jail had I lost it and slugged her though.

I think we've all seen one of these kinds of women in action.... but I don't believe it's a behaviour specific to women. I've known a couple men who act like this too. It's ugly on whoever is engaging in it.

Behaviours aren't gender related. Buttholes come with both appliances. The problem is, there are a lot more womens' shelters than there are for men. The part that really irked me is my last gal went to a shelter claiming I'd abused her, then harassed me from the shelter phone. Do you know how to abuse a narcissist? (and she's diagnosed) You stop worshipping her.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Part of the problem is the refusal to talk about gender inequality. There is a much propagated myth that "Classic" gender rules were all about men dominating women. They were clear set of society expectations, and while in many ways (such as property rights and political rights) they oppressed women, in other equally important or more important ways they oppressed men (Family rights, legal responsibility).

Much work has been done to balance one side of the coin, nothing the other.

An abusive substance using mother is still more likely to gain custody than an Ideal father, and women still receive more lenient sentances and prison accomodations then men who commit the same crime.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't believe women are as weak as we sometimes let ourselves believe or are told we are.

I think that's very true. I'm not as big as most men (I'm 5'9", about 150lbs), but I kicked my older brother's butt a few times growing up even though he's bigger and stronger. I sometimes think women have been told they are weak for so long so that they'll never try to defend themselves.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Part of the problem is the refusal to talk about gender inequality. There is a much propagated myth that "Classic" gender rules were all about men dominating women. They were clear set of society expectations, and while in many ways (such as property rights and political rights) they oppressed women, in other equally important or more important ways they oppressed men (Family rights, legal responsibility).

Much work has been done to balance one side of the coin, nothing the other.

An abusive substance using mother is still more likely to gain custody than an Ideal father, and women still receive more lenient sentances and prison accomodations then men who commit the same crime.

I think that's slowly changing. My friend is dating a man who is raising his two daughters because the ex-wife is an alcoholic. Thank God for the girls' sake.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I really do wish that abusive females were more recognized and dealt with. Even when a guy has to sic the Law onto them, he gets grins and attitude - unless it happens to be a female cop. Some psychobabes actually press and push to see how far they can torture test the relationship before its breaking point. I can introduce you to three of them....

About 20 years ago, I caught a cab home from my 4 to midnight shift at plant deep in the South End of Saint John.......the cabbie stopped to pick up a second call (a practise particular to this fair city), but when the door to the apt building opened, out came a man and two women.......who were beating the supreme crap out of the poor drunk bastard........I mean, he was on his hands and knees, then his stomach, while they put the boots to him......hard core. The cabbie immediately pulled away, and about three blocks up Sydney St, we came to one of Saint John's finest sitting in a squad car........The cabbie pulled up parallel, and rolled down his window "Hey", he said "some poor bastard is getting the crap kicked out of him by two women on St. James........"

"Did you say the guy is getting beat"

"Yep"

"Well, we don't worry about it too much as long as he is getting the worst of it"

From the mouth of a cop.

We just drove away while he sat there.......

True story.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

First of all, I know plenty of women who advocate for judicial reform.

I think the question you need to ask is, what woman would feel safe even IF there were harsher sentences. Do harsher sentences work to reduce violent crime by strangers? How many women do you know who have met violence on the street at night, versus women you know who have been beaten or abused at home, by a relative or by a lover?

I know it's generalizing, but, I think women tend to be a bit more jaded about what harsher sentences will actually mean for the overall safety of them and their loved ones. They seem to realize that spending your time and energy worrying about the criminal you know, just means that you're not paying attention to the twenty you haven't noticed yet.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think that's very true. I'm not as big as most men (I'm 5'9", about 150lbs), but I kicked my older brother's butt a few times growing up even though he's bigger and stronger. I sometimes think women have been told they are weak for so long so that they'll never try to defend themselves.

That's one angle. Most martial arts don't require size to be good.

The other thing is that you don't have to be a victim. If he hits you leave. Plain and simple. This "but I love him" is crap. It's shirking your responsibility to yourself to stay safe. Why do we woman think that we that is the type of 'man' we deserve? We know better. We really do.

Maybe being a victim means never having to take a stand? No responsibility?

I've been with a physically and verbally abusive man and we physically fought. I realized it would never get better. It's the way he was. I left. I didn't think I was a "victim" I was a participant. I stayed longer then I should have. But I made that choice. It was my responsiblity, my decision. I made a bad choice after the first physical altercation by staying for the second.

If we allow ourselves to think of we're victims and feel so "bad" for ourselves that we put up with abuse we will never be strong, independant, responsible, smart, healthy women. We have to do this ourselves, it can't be fought for us. Learn from mistakes. Don't let a mistake become your identity. You are more then that.

Reactions: Outta here

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The actual message in the OP: violent crime is really the fault of women :roll:

It's pretty sick and twisted to suggest men commit violent crimes because women allow it. If they didn't allow it then presumably it couldn't happen. But if women allow it then it really isn't a crime.

Um... what a revolting premise for an argument! Don't blame the rapist blame the raped.

Crime by its very definition invalidates the OP argument.