Bad mothers....kinda sad really....

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I've noticed something about young parents these days. A lot of them have a baby just as a fashion accessory. They seem so cold, uninterested in their child. Not real parenting or love for that matter. Just kinda going thru the motions of parenthood. But not really paying attention. Even on a literal sense. This couple came into my place of business once, and while discussing business, they totally ignored their kids while they tore the place up, and thru temper tantrams. The damn kid was crying bloody murder for his parents attention! But on the other hand, it's a status symbol for them. Just like their precious mercedes-benz, or their little fluff ball dog. I was just wondering is this unique to our times? Or not? Any other things that are unique to current times?:angry3:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
alleywayz... a couple points.

1. Never assume from one snap shot of a parent and child, that you can tell what that family is like at any other time. ESPECIALLY if it is in a shopping environment, fair, or anything else where the family may be busy, stressed, etc. It's a little known fact that walking through glass doors into a business can turn the most polite sweet child into a head spinning vomit spewing demon, and the kindest sweetest mom into a hardened drill sergeant making all around her fear for their lives, let alone that of the child. Trust me.

2. If your assessment is correct about the people and they are cold uncaring people, the reasoning isn't necessarily right. Fashion and image isn't usually as huge of a driving force as, you guessed it, good old biological imperative. Even the most cold and uncaring woman can end up a slave to her or her husband's hormonal drive to have kids. Most set about it with good intentions... when the hormones are raging and telling you that you HAVE to have a kid, they honestly believe they will be good (by our standards), caring parents. But, once the hormones mellow out, the nurturing drive can too. It's just part of the natural variations in personality we have in our society.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
alleywayz... a couple points.

1. Never assume from one snap shot of a parent and child, that you can tell what that family is like at any other time. ESPECIALLY if it is in a shopping environment, fair, or anything else where the family may be busy, stressed, etc. It's a little known fact that walking through glass doors into a business can turn the most polite sweet child into a head spinning vomit spewing demon, and the kindest sweetest mom into a hardened drill sergeant making all around her fear for their lives, let alone that of the child. Trust me.

2. If your assessment is correct about the people and they are cold uncaring people, the reasoning isn't necessarily right. Fashion and image isn't usually as huge of a driving force as, you guessed it, good old biological imperative. Even the most cold and uncaring woman can end up a slave to her or her husband's hormonal drive to have kids. Most set about it with good intentions... when the hormones are raging and telling you that you HAVE to have a kid, they honestly believe they will be good (by our standards), caring parents. But, once the hormones mellow out, the nurturing drive can too. It's just part of the natural variations in personality we have in our society.

Hmmmm.... your right.....the hormones..... I forgot about those things. Mainly cuz I'm a guy and don't have feelings and emotions -lol-

Anywayz, It's not just one parent or two, but all the time. I see these parents come in and start looking at product and leave their child in the stroller while they start walking up and down aisles. A child abductor would need only two seconds to grab that child. That makes me mad. :angryfire:

It's kinda part of a bigger mentality that some people have here on the coast. A self centred attitude. People that run the Stanley Park seawall, not for fresh air and exercise, but just so they can tell their colleagues in a real condescending voice --"Well, I run the Stanley Park seawall twice a week!" Like they're heroes or something. It's the same kinda people. They're dog, car, kid, house and trophy wife, it's all just status symbols for them.

I believe it was Moe Sizlak that said --"They think they're so high and mighty!!! Just cuz they never got caught driving without pants!