Canadian Resident wanting to move to the U.S.

MrsRGivens

Sep 18, 2008
I am a Canadian Citizen and I have been dating an American man for 2 years now. I would like to move to Seattle where he lives, so we can start our life together. I have researched the different visa's and possible ways we could do this. We considered the fiance visa, but we don't want to just get married to get us out there (I have a 7 yr old daughter also) and its almost forcing us to get married because you have to do it within 90 days or you have to leave the US and cannot reapply for another 6mths!! So I was going to try and apply for jobs from here and hope that they will help me get a worker's visa, OR can I apply for one anyway without having a job lined up there? I have had people tell me, that if I just go down there and stay, I can apply for a permanent resident status. But my issue is, I have my furniture, a car, clothes that I need and want to bring with me there, so obviously I can't go that route because the border will be questioning me about all my stuff! SO, how can I move to the U.S. by summer 2009, with my stuff and able to work? Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated, let me stress that....greatly appreciated!!!!! ;-)

Mrs. R.Givens

Reactions: EagleSmack

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
What kind of job do you plan on applying for? Unless you're a nurse like me or a member of another profession included in NAFTA, you can't come here and work easily. If you work for a Canadian company with a Seattle branch you could be transferred to, that is another way of coming. Neither of those are permanent though.

You can't just come here and apply for permanent resident status either. Currently it takes about 3 years to get an employment based green card according to a lawyer I consulted (there is a big backlog). You wouldn't be allowed to stay here during that whole 3 year wait because presumably you would have entered the US telling the customs officer that you were coming to visit. Once your allowable visit time is up (I think it's 6 months for Canadians) you would have to go back to Canada until your greencard application was processed. You wouldn't be able to reenter the US as a visitor during that time since you can't claim you're just visiting when you've applied to be a permanent resident.

MrsRGivens

Sep 18, 2008
Thank you!

I appreciate the information you sent me. A friend of mine moved to the US and then applied for her permanent resident status and got it within 4mths. But I don't want to do that, because I have a daughter and want to go about this the right way. I could go about it like you said, but I dont know if I could handle not seeing my boyfriend for 6mths!

The types of jobs I do and are applying for are, social work type jobs, working with youth at risk, counselor jobs, pretty much social services jobs. I am Native American and have tried going the Jay Treaty route also, and Canada does not test for blood quantum to prove you are 50% Native blood, like the US does, so it is very difficult to prove my own blood quantum. But I work with Aboriginal people here in Canada, I am currently working with Adolescent Parents with an Aboriginal Agency. So I have also been trying to get in touch with the Native American Organizations out in Seattle to see if there is any support or help from them that can assist me in my transition. I do plan on speaking with an immigration lawyer to help me with some advice and what my options are also.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The problem is when did she do that and what was her profession? Things have changed a lot in the last few years. I was under the impression it would be quick for me too because I know people who had it done within a year, but was informed of the backlog when I spoke with an immigration attorney. If it were that easy, I wouldn't still be on a NAFTA permit after being here 4 years:)

Do you have formal social worker qualifications? If you have your degree and license in the field plus work experience, you would qualify under NAFTA for a TN visa. You'd have to find an employer to sponsor you and you'd be granted a one year visa to work and live in the US. I've been here for four years on that type of visa by getting a new one each year.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html

has info about employment visas other than NAFTA TN visas.

If you don't have family there willing to sponsor you and you aren't a refugee, pretty much the only way to get permanent status here is through employment. It requires A LOT of paperwork and a lot of time since they have to certify you and that your profession is in demand (basically that you aren't stealing an American job)... It's a lot easier to come on the fiancee visa.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
You'd probably be best with the Jay Treaty, but your daughter would also have to be at least 50% native as well. If you choose that route, I would suggest you ask a lawyer experienced in this type of issue which point of entry is the easiest to cross. I've had several TN visas, but when I cross at a border that isn't used to seeing them (as in Mexico), I often get hassles and have actually been refused my work permit a couple of times. When I go through Vancouver it's no problem at all.

MrsRGivens

Sep 18, 2008
Canadian moving the United States

I wrote this last year and I figured I would write an update. My boyfriend who lives in Seattle and I decided we want to get married and are going to get the Fiance visa...now my problem is how can I ship my car from Canada to the U.S.? What will customs need? My daughter and I are going to fly out there and ship my car and what little belongings I'm bringing. I have tried to look online, but nothing is really giving me the information I am looking for? I am hoping someone on here may know and possibly what companies to contact to get estimates on how much it will cost to ship a vehicle. I will also try and call the port of entry and hopefull an officer can give me some answers. Thank you!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have never used the service but there are companies that they will drive your car to where it needs to be. A buddy of mine did that when he got layed off. He basically drove the car to where ever and he was flown back.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mrs.RGivens

You are getting some good advice here but I have a question if I may.

Have you been in touch with the U.S. Consulate - say in Vancouver? ( don't know where you live).

They have brochures and pamphlets they can send you if you can't make a visit to their offices
and can answer questions once you establish your time with an advisor.

You might also try writing a letter to their office asking all your questions and going that route.

I did more than 85% of my required paperwork in Canada before I moved permanently. I was a student applicant though - and had no fiancee - but glad you decided to go the fiancee route - it will speed up your process and your daughter's. Even so, I still had to find a job when I arrived but the schools helped me with that too.

Good luck to you - I hope your pressure will ease up soon.

MrsRGivens

Sep 18, 2008
Thank you! Yeah I want to get my car shipped because I don't want to put the mileage on it. I live in Winnipeg, Canada and I am moving to Seattle, WA. So we don't have things like that here (that I know of) to seek out information on moving to the United States. But so far I have found some info while on the U.S. government sites. I was hoping someone out there who has been through this already could give me some advice or pointers to make this a smooth transition as possible?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mrs.R.Givens

Oh - you have a long distance to travel to cross into Washington.

What about taking a trip to Seattle when school is out and making an appointment in Seattle or one of the Washington State U.S. Consulates .... they may have more up to date information for you and it's always easier being in front of a human to ask questions.

Perhaps your boyfriend could look up the closest one and make a convenient appointment for you - giving you time to get down there - maybe much of the paperwork can be done at that end
and completed once you are back home knowing what they need from you.

You might look on line to see what offices they have in Washington.... even a closer one to the border such as Blaine or Bellingham -

Sorry I'm not much help - but you shouldn't have that much trouble if you are going the fiance route.

ohhhhhhhhh lookie here I googled U.S. Consulates Washington State and got a page with Canadian ones too...maybe you can do all of your paperwork in Seattle or that area instead of in Canada except for the Canadian documentation which they'll be able to tell you what they need.

canadian consulate washington state - Google Search

Reactions: EagleSmack

supereme

Nov 25, 2009
Mrs.RGivens

You are getting some good advice here but I have a question if I may.

Have you been in touch with the U.S. Consulate - say in Vancouver? ( don't know where you live).

They have brochures and pamphlets they can send you if you can't make a visit to their offices
and can answer questions once you establish your time with an advisor.

You might also try writing a letter to their office asking all your questions and going that route.

I did more than 85% of my required paperwork in Canada before I moved permanently. I was a student applicant though - and had no fiancee - but glad you decided to go the fiancee route - it will speed up your process and your daughter's. Even so, I still had to find a job when I arrived but the schools helped me with that too.

Good luck to you - I hope your pressure will ease up soon.
Hi Curiosity,
How did student visa help you to settle in USA, would you please give some info. As i want to move to USA to study and live . currently i live in Alberta.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've a Friend who'd like to be a Dental Hygienist. The waiting list just to
get into school up here is 5yrs...& in Texas (at one of the better schools)
the waiting list is nonexistent. Just say'n....

missteree

Mar 18, 2010
how can i move to usa

i live in victoria canada...i have family in las vegas (well my ex boyfriends mom, child and nephews) and the grama takes care of them all....is there any way i could move to the u.s. to help take care of the kids that range in age from a few months old to about 13???? also what about going to school there??? can i do anything or is it a lost cause?? to the post about dental hygeine...i was looking into that myself and some of the wait lists here are 5-7 years...crazy right!!!

MsRamos

Apr 19, 2010
This is a great help! Mrs.RGivens and I have the same question... Thank you guys! Good thread to read! Keep it up!

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Why don't you ship your furniture and drive your car down? That way, you and your daughter go together, and you can pack clothing, toyse, etc. in the car.