Move from NYC to Vancouver?

id3ntidycrisis

Jun 26, 2008
Hey everyone, 21 year old college student from New York City here. I've been living here all my life and I got to say while it is an experience it is also very overrated. I'm leaning towards a more relaxed environment and was wondering what you guys think. I am 21 about to get my Bachelors in Marketing and am 1/2 Vietnamese 1/4 Japanese and 1/4 Taiwanese.

One of the main reasons I want to leave the States is because everyone here bases their success on their income. Another reason is because a lot of the people here (at least the ones that I know are very ignorant and don't know anything regarding current events and such.. I was wondering what geographical area would most suit me? and would it be a bad idea to move to Canada considering the high taxes and such? Thanks much! =)

Oh and one more question, since I am going to have almost no friends, just how friendly are people in Canada? Thanks!

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Vietnamese, Japanese and Taiwanese ????? !!!!!

Now there's 3 ethnic groups that have a long history of hatred.

I wonder what the white corpuscles and red blood cells are doing in your body ?

Warring ?

And...another point....
Don't get so down on the money thing !!! Being poor or in debt is also very stressful, so make some money. It is but one dimension of all the dimensions of this world, all having its place. Keep perspective. Don't go all bling and don't go all sack cloth and ashes either.
Both seem ignorant to me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Vietnamese, Japanese and Taiwanese ????? !!!!!

Now there's 3 ethnic groups that have a long history of hatred.

I wonder what the white corpuscles and red blood cells are doing in your body ?

Warring ?

Typical racist remark I've come to expect from someone in the US.... good job, you didn't disapoint.

I could pick apart any race and claim they're full of hatred, the above was just an ignorant stab, and I didn't find it funny.

Anywho, there is a larger asian population out in Vancouver then mostly anywhere else in Canada, but where I live here in Halifax, there's also a large asian population here as well (Just not as large) Also in Halifax, we have a good relation with New York due to many things through history we both helped one another with. The climate is pretty similar here as in New York, not as crammed with people, and you'd have less distance to travel.

You're going to have some pretty ignorant people no matter where you go, but from my own experiences, people tend to be more tollerant here then it would seem in the US when it comes to those different from them.

I believe there are many more jobs out in Vancouver then there is here in Halifax, however the living costs are usually more higher in comparison, so it's more of a balance of what you personally want. Of course there's many other places you could head to like Toronto, which also has a large asian population, but then you're not near the oceans and the climate is a little different.

That and when it comes to an American coming to live in Canada, Canadians are usually accepting of them for making the "Right Choice" :p

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
What's your heritage Jim? I have German and English ancestors so you could say the same thing about me. It would be just as stupid mind you. You did read the part of his post saying he had lived there all his LIFE. Typical, you have just reinforced the stereotype of an Ignorant and Intolerant American.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Good point Lester about German and English ancestry.

Look how fast Praxius leaps ? Do we all rush to say see, see, see !!
I was right all along about "those people."
It doesn't take much to find out we were right all along, n'est pas ?

There's a great amount of self satisfaction in observing this about me.

Try this. Have a greater suspicion of your assumptions. Don't leap so quick, eh ?

I guess I have no call to preach since you've told me what you think of me.

I guess I'll go back to dreaming about corn dogs and hating myself and eating worms.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hey everyone, 21 year old college student from New York City here. I've been living here all my life and I got to say while it is an experience it is also very overrated. I'm leaning towards a more relaxed environment and was wondering what you guys think. I am 21 about to get my Bachelors in Marketing and am 1/2 Vietnamese 1/4 Japanese and 1/4 Taiwanese.
Oh and one more question, since I am going to have almost no friends, just how friendly are people in Canada? Thanks!

My question to you is, do you know that you can just pack up and move to canada, as,
the reverse isn't done, we can't just pack up and move to the u.s., unless we don't
have to work, or have enough money to buy something significant.
There are many places in the u.s. that has a slower pace, smaller cities, and I'm sure
there are just as many different forms of 'friendlies' all over the u.s. as there is in
canada. I guess the tighter you live together, the more forms of treatment of each
other happen, it's more comfortable to spread out a little.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Good point Lester about German and English ancestry.

Look how fast Praxius leaps ?

I can't help it that my reflexes are as snappy as spidermans :p

Do we all rush to say see, see, see !!
I was right all along about "those people."
It doesn't take much to find out we were right all along, n'est pas ?

You fuel the examples, what can I say? Don't go trying to blame shift what you said as being my damn fault. (Another thing I keep talking about.... not accepting responsibility)

There's a great amount of self satisfaction in observing this about me.

Sorry, your ignorance doesn't give me any satisfaction, it's just sad.

Try this. Have a greater suspicion of your assumptions. Don't leap so quick, eh ?

Well don't spew racist and hateful remarks..... if you didn't want people to leap all over you so quickly, then perhaps you should have corrected what you said about his racial background.

Try this: Engage Brain first before putting Mouth in Gear.

I guess I have no call to preach since you've told me what you think of me.

I guess I'll go back to dreaming about corn dogs and hating myself and eating worms.

To each their own.