Poignant Points on Canada

Westerner

Jan 18, 2008
Alberta
Canadians are the same...from the West coast to the East coast

Minus the French English barrier of course
I wouldn't say that assertion is true or accurate at all. Many geo-political regional identities exist in this country and it is made up of many distinct peoples. Some groups are more prominent than others but that does not mean others are less noteworthy. To be frank if people never adopted such oppressive policies in the past or racist attitudes we would have seen the rise of many more communities sharing the podium with the more well known English and French of this country. Although we are starting to now see a rise of many ethnic enclaves in this country eager to learn about their history and their background. People are starting to no longer feel ashamed where they come and came from and many are beginning to embrace their heritage. Métis, Cree, Inuit, Germans, Ukrainians, Chinese, Poles, and many others are starting to become more in tune with their culture. Therefore I do not agree with your statement of dividing the country into simply the English and French because there are many peoples each with their own unique culture, language, and customs that live here too.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
We usually are too busy trying to keep warm :smile: If we had a warmer climate,we would have had a civil war long ago here.

Ok, ^that^ explains Rowanda.8O

Really we are the same from coast to coast. We only think we are different. BCers find themselves better than Ontarians but I just don't hear many of them dissing people from the Maritimes. What could be so different?
Beleive me, speaking french does not make someone so different. I think people exploit differences to bolster their own self worth. It feels good when your better than someone else.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We usually are too busy trying to keep warm :smile: If we had a warmer climate,we would have had a civil war long ago here.

I agree, and the summers aren't long enough to get very far overland, air war is too expensive, nuclear weapons are enviromentally unfriendly, so it's just way to inconvienient to start anything in Canada. There's only sixty-five or seventy days of real bad weather left and then it's a cold long spring followed by two months of summer that's a frantic scramble for nuts and berries and firewood terminated by frost and the onset of the next dead time.:lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I wouldn't say that assertion is true or accurate at all. Many geo-political regional identities exist in this country and it is made up of many distinct peoples. Some groups are more prominent than others but that does not mean others are less noteworthy. To be frank if people never adopted such oppressive policies in the past or racist attitudes we would have seen the rise of many more communities sharing the podium with the more well known English and French of this country. Although we are starting to now see a rise of many ethnic enclaves in this country eager to learn about their history and their background. People are starting to no longer feel ashamed where they come and came from and many are beginning to embrace their heritage. Métis, Cree, Inuit, Germans, Ukrainians, Chinese, Poles, and many others are starting to become more in tune with their culture. Therefore I do not agree with your statement of dividing the country into simply the English and French because there are many peoples each with their own unique culture, language, and customs that live here too.

Me too, that's what direction I like about this country, I hope to see it expand but I'm afraid we have deep cultural intrusion by commercial interests of a long standing nature that act directly against the multipolar country.