Nordicanada???

NorthrnMystique

Feb 19, 2008
Jeonju, South Korea (presently)
Who thinks Canada is a Nordic North American country?

Think about it:
1) Massive Arctic expanse
2)Cold, frigid climate
3)Ice hockey
4)Exact latitudinal equivalent with Scandinavia in Western Hemi....the further North you go..
5)"True North Strong and Free".....ie in the national anthem.

blonde haired, blue eyed aryans.....okay, that was a joke....
But then again, who can doubt the inherint racial superiority of Canadians??:p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Due to my background I often refer to myself as Nordic. But, given that our country's history and future include the First Nations peoples, it seems an odd description for the country as a whole, given that it so often refers to blonde haired, blue eyed people. :smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
But then again, who can doubt the inherint racial superiority of Canadians??

Oh great.... sure we know everything and have a ligit opinion on just about everything under the sun, I'm not about to start calling Canada the home of the racially superior. Then again, that would line up well with how many former Nazi generals and such moved here after WWII to hide.

But the moment we start boasting we're the greatest and we're the most racially superior, we're no better then some of our southern neighbors whom call their country the Motherland..... er was it Fatherland? No wait, Homeland, that's it.

Canada and Canadians are the best because we don't require to express that we are..... everybody just knows it.

NorthrnMystique

Feb 19, 2008
Praxis,
I guess I should have watched my light hearted humour, as not everyone believes in light hearted humour. But then again, aside from hockey, Canada's chief export is political correctness.
Now, you say that were ''the best because we dont require to express that we are....everybody just knows it."
That's bull.....I've travelled to a lot of countries and most people Ive met dont know what qualifies as a Canadian. Maybe if we actually took the time to develop a concrete sense of who we are, we would actually develop confidence as a nation, and the world would notice.
Im not bashing Canadian pluralism, because it is a unique feature of our identity. But we cant assume that people....especially ourselves, know the answers to our questions if we dont even take the time to answer them.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Do we sit and ponder why the sun comes up in the morning? No we just go with it and accept the fact and the good things that go with it.

America and Canada share way too much for us and them to be substantially different. I would suspect Britain, Australia and New Zealand can say same. But it is those differences however small that do seperate and differentiate us. Handgun rights supporters are a definite minority. Marijuana supporters are probably in a slim majority. Opposite in the states. No politician in Canada would even bring up their religious beliefs because it would be a death sentence for their political careers. Again in the states, totally different. They want to hear that their politicians are good up standing Christians. We don't care if they are Sikh or Jewish as long as they do a good job.

It's the emphasis on the small things that set us apart. We speak same language, have similiar immigrant background, use same legal system, watch same movies, read same books for the most part.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would have thought that this thread could be discussed without it being a Canada/US issue. How annoying that it's yet again all about comparing the two countries, when the OP was merely about defining ourselves.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sorry Rom... I realized after I posted it that it might seem like frustration with your contribution, and it's not. It's just been yet another day of Canada/US arguments across a half dozen threads that shouldn't be about Canada and the US. *sigh*

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Maybe we just have to confess that our national identity is Not American. Every thing has to be compared to and quantified. Hard, soft, cold, hot all have there respective scales to judge by. Being a relatively new country mayhaps we have not yet defined ourselves. In the last 60 years we have gone from a mostly rural agricultural based society to a urban technological one. If the material is always changing how do you describe it?

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I would like to be compared more to the "Nordic" countries. Norway, Sweden and Finland are peaceful, well off countries. I would like to think the cold weather does it. Russian history may not make that a credible theory. Not slamming Russia by any means. Whole lot of history and culture in that huge expanse.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Sorry Rom... I realized after I posted it that it might seem like frustration with your contribution, and it's not. It's just been yet another day of Canada/US arguments across a half dozen threads that shouldn't be about Canada and the US. *sigh*

Is a person sometimes not defined by who they associate with, what business they are in, their family, their friends? Who is our biggest customer, friend and competitor?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sad fact of nationalistic pride, shame, humility, arrogance - you chose the label - is when any two people, towns, provinces, countries, planets - whatever - get into comparison, someone is going to take it personally and all hell breaks loose. Sometimes, it's meant in good-natured competitiveness, but you're always going to hit a sore spot. That's just human nature. Geez it would be great to live a dog's life....

Woof!

NorthrnMystique

Feb 19, 2008
Is it egotistical to say: "Hi, my name is Andrew, my favourite colour is blue, I like the movie "Schindlers List, and I like to travel"

Is it nationalistic to say: "Hello, I am Canadian. I believe in Canada's founding principles and values. I am proud of our culture and heritage. Canada is a beautiful country"

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think nationalism is a wonderful thing. No country survives without it. Canada has a lot to be proud of. Frankly, the fact that we can manage the logistics of maintaining so much infrastructure for such a widespread population is a small wonder. That in and of itself should be a source of pride.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think the notion that it's difficult to pigeon-hole a Canadian identity is an accomplishment in itself. Most defining identities are exclusive clubs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, how do you possibly begin to pigeonhole such a wide expanse of people. To try to find 'a definition' that applies to the Inuit, the oil patch workers, the prairie farmers, the fishermen, the University teachers, the tourism workers, the Dene, the Cree? Being so spread out gives rise to such distinct cultures.

Personally, I like that we are a bilingual nation. I like that we still observe respect for the monarchy. It means a bit of bending and adapting, but perhaps that's the most critical identifying factor of Canada... adaptable.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Praxis,
I guess I should have watched my light hearted humour, as not everyone believes in light hearted humour. But then again, aside from hockey, Canada's chief export is political correctness.

Not exactly. I got the humor, I just pointed out the thin line of what you were joking about.... but.....

.... Now, you say that were ''the best because we dont require to express that we are....everybody just knows it."

That's bull.....

Oh course it's bull.... that entire post of mine was in relation to your "light hearted humour" post, and in turn, was supposed to be light hearted too. I guess that slipped by too :p

I've travelled to a lot of countries and most people Ive met dont know what qualifies as a Canadian. Maybe if we actually took the time to develop a concrete sense of who we are, we would actually develop confidence as a nation, and the world would notice.

But that in itself is the identity of Canada. Not caring about our identity. I mean if we wanted some actual identity for the rest of the world to view us as, the US can be the drunken, womanizing sheriff of the world who basically likes to throw their weight around and smack little countries around to get what they want out of them...... and Canada is the Stoner brother of the sheriff who just stays inside smoking up and playing video games, and usually supplying his brother with good beer to get drunk off of and continue his womanizing.

..... that's a joke.

Im not bashing Canadian pluralism, because it is a unique feature of our identity. But we cant assume that people....especially ourselves, know the answers to our questions if we dont even take the time to answer them.

Wait, isn't that ask? Ask the question to get the answer, or do you mean to ask the question and just plain never answer? Doesn't my own question about your answer to your own question, thereby answer the question in which the answer was questioning?? :-?

NorthrnMystique

Feb 19, 2008
I dont mean to pigeon hole anything,
although I respect what you are saying.

However, look at it like this....as individuals, we all have individual characters and identities that make us unique, that set us apart from others. No one should tell you how to make the big decisions in your life. By consciously being aware of who you are, you can navigate through life with more confidence and vision.
If its true for individuals, then it is certainly true for a nation of 32 million individuals...
Only we are Canadians.....and for those relativisitic deconstructionists out there..when I say WE ARE CANADIANS, I mean: those who legally reside in the nation state of Canada and subscribe to its founding principles and vision for the future.
If we cant form a clear vision of what Canada is and where it is going, then who will. There is no other nation out there called Canada. And frankly....to my shame and regret I bring this last point up, if we cant decide for ourselves who we are and where were going, then I think we could all agree that Canada could easily fall prey to the pinions of a very large southern neighbour.
If we dont call the shots, dont expect others to do it for us in our own interests..