MARC EMRERY GOING TO PRISON FOR uncle sam

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Marijuana activist and promoter Marc Emery may be heading to jail soon, after his lawyers cut a 10-year deal with U.S. prosecutors.
In July 2005, U.S. drug enforcement officials asked that Emery be extradited so he could face charges that he, Greg Williams and Michelle Rainey distributed millions of cannabis seeds to American customers at an annual profit of $3 million.
He has since been free on bail while fighting extradition. Emery said his lawyers told him there was no hope to refute the U.S. allegations, and the Americans were demanding he serve a 10-year prison term, with at least five years in custody, most of it in Canada.
If the federal government accepts the proposal, Emery said he could be behind bars in the U.S. within 60 days, but he also said the deal means no jail time for his co-accused, Williams and Rainey.
The so-called prince of pot has run several times for public office as leader of the Marijuana Party, and has fought several court battles to change Canadian cannabis laws.
With files from The Canadian Press

Prince of pot' says he's heading to U.S. jail

THE CANADIAN PRESS
January 14, 2008 at 1:14 PM EST

VANCOUVER — Canada's so-called prince of pot says he is going to prison.
Marijuana activist Marc Emery says his lawyer has made a deal with U.S. prosecutors on charges he conspired to distribute marijuana seeds into America over the Internet.
Mr. Emery says his lawyers told him there was no hope to refute the U.S. allegations and the American offer also includes no jail time for his co-accused Greg Williams and Michelle Rainey.
He says the American's have demanded a 10-year prison term, where he serves at least five years in custody, most of it in Canada.

Enlarge Image Activist Marc Emery says his lawyer made a deal with U.S. prosecutors on charges he conspired to distribute marijuana seeds over the Internet (The Globe and Mail)

Related Articles

In July 2005, U.S. drug enforcement officials asked for Mr. Emery's extradition so he could face charges that he distributed millions of cannabis seeds to American customers at an annual profit of $3-million.
Mr. Emery, who's been a vocal advocate for decriminalizing pot, says if the federal government agrees to the plea deal he could be going to serve time in a U.S. prison within the next 60 days.

Plea deal for Canadian marijuana activist means jail time for him in the U.S.

5 hours ago
VANCOUVER - Canada's so-called prince of pot is planning for prison after reaching a plea bargain with U.S. officials over his Internet sales of marijuana seeds.
But Marc Emery remains defiant, despite the prospect of serving a five-year-jail term and has no regrets over his pot-promoting antics through the years.
"I'm really pleased and proud of what I've done," Emery said of his legacy. "I wish I could have done more to piss the U.S. government off actually."
Emery, 50, said Monday that U.S. prosecutors made the offer to his lawyer for a 10-year-prison term, that would mean he would have to spend at least five years in prison, most of it in a Canada.
The agreement also spares his co-accused Michelle Rainey and Greg Williams from doing jail time.
Emery said that's especially important for Rainey who smokes marijuana to control symptoms of Crohn's disease, a painful digestive-tract disorder.
It was one of the reasons he considered the offer.
"Well, what if something did happen in jail to her?" said Emery. "You know I would always be responsible."
In July 2005, Emery was arrested in Halifax on an extradition request from the United States.
A U.S. federal grand jury had indicted the self-proclaimed "prince of pot" on charges of conspiracy to distribute marijuana seeds, conspiracy to distribute marijuana and conspiracy to engage in money laundering.
The charges related to his sale of marijuana seeds to U.S. customers over the Internet.
Emery still has trouble recognizing what he did wrong.
"There's no victim in my case," he said. "There's nobody who's claiming I hurt them ... so you're talking hundreds of thousands of happy customers."
For almost 15 years, Emery has been an outspoken advocate of the cannabis culture, even creating a magazine and forming the B.C. Marijuana Party,
Three years ago he travelled across the country lighting up giant joints at pro-marijuana rallies in front of police stations in his quest to legalize pot.
He spent two months in a Saskatoon jail after he was arrested passing around a marijuana cigarette at a pro-pot rally.
"I'm a victim of political advocacy," he said Monday.
Alan Young, a professor at Osgood Hall Law School at York University, said extradition requests from the United States are very difficult to fight and the plea gives Emery some certainty.
"It looked a bit hopeless," Young said. "That's not to say a great fight could not have been mounted."
Young, who has known and worked with Emery since 1990, said on that level he's relieved that Emery knows the sentence he will face.
But on a political level the sentence is a travesty, he said.
"I think it's remarkable that I could cripple someone and put them in hospital ... and get less time that Marc will serve," Young said.
"It's grossly disproportionate by Canadian standards. But, unfortunately, by American standards it may appear to be a kiss."
Emery said he's always been open about his actions, lobbying and meeting politicians such as Sen. Larry Campbell and New Democrat Leader Jack Layton, and even filing income tax on his seed sales.
"Nobody ever treated me like a drug dealer in this country," he stated.
That wasn't the case in the U.S. after his arrest in 2005.
"The tentacles of the Marc Emery criminal enterprise reached out across North America to include all 50 states and Canada," Rodney Benson of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency told reporters in Seattle.
The plea agreement still needs the approval of the Canadian Department of Justice, which Emery believes won't oppose it.
"Because it spares the Conservative party government ... with a looming election this awkward decision of whether to extradite me," he said.
"In a sense, it takes the heat off the government too, which I'm really disappointed by because one of the great things about having a crisis is something politically good might come of it."
Alain Charette, a spokesman for the Department of Justice, said the plea is a negotiations between other parties and doesn't yet involve the department.
He noted in all such extradition decisions the minister is left with the final decision.
Emily Langlie, public affairs officer for the U.S. Attorney's office in Seattle, said it was not appropriate for officials there to comment on the plea agreement.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration did not respond to a request for an interview.

Copyright © 2008 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yep make someone look bad and you will run afoul of the justice system. Some things never change.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
He shouldn't have sold them in the states he should have sold them here and period andnobody would have done a thing...what a dummy

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Lost another post with the message "Posting your Quick Reply"....then nothing...

What's the point.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He shouldn't have sold them in the states he should have sold them here and period andnobody would have done a thing...what a dummy

Exactly, the guy is an egomaniacal idiot............I think pot should be legal, but it ain't exactly at the foundation of our freedom..........

How STUPID do you have to be to ship seedsto the USA?

They do have a serious puritan streak..........

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I am envious. Terribly envious and jealous. Recently I have run out of my stock of marijuana, and it so happened that I also ran out of suppliers I can trust. Marijuana is illegal in Russia, so getting it is a huge problem. And I was sitting and thinking of all those people, in Holland, for example, who can just go out and buy some of it, when they feel like. Without any problems whatsoever. Without having to run the risk of imprisonment, fraud, loss of money and problems with the police... Life's not fair sometimes... :-(

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You know, I'm going to abhor this for a different reason. He should have charges laid against him from OUR government.

Extradition should be a no go, he never left the country. The people the US should arrest are those he mailed too, and we should seize his mailing list and give it over.

I have nothing against pot, but it is illegal, and just because you think something illegal should be legal doesn't mean you don't get punished for it.

Many people think alot of illegal things shouldn't be, like NAMBLA. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be prosecuted will the full force of the law.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
just because he was better dressed and had a better haircut than your average dope dealer aren't good enough reasons not to lock him up. that's basically all the guy was.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

As I understand it, he was selling them here to undercover DEA who established a relationship with him and then asked him to mail seeds to them at a US mailing address. And so, had him.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thanks people, it's instructive to see the lean on the replys. Makes me believe that when the fascists make tomatoes illeagle you'll be forsquare behind them. Grass is a medicinal plant, has been for many millineum, it's only problem is that it cannot be patented and can be grown and administered by the patient, cutting out the middle men who legally poison all of us. Your blind respect for the law is pathetic, thank god you types have not had sway historically, I shudder to think what archaic legal system we would now be inflicted with had this been the case.

In fact we are in the process of adopting wholesale a "Fascist Fortress North America", of course you'll agree to have your children consumned by perpetual wars of conquest and to the imprisonment of your nieghbours and friends in the service of law.
It is not much wonder we have a fascist government and a completly malible citizenry.
Marc Emery paid all taxes on sales and donated all proceeds from his sales to advocacy groups, compassion clubs and the decades long struggle to overturn corporate monopoly of the laws governing Cannibis. The Government of Canada had no problem with his activitys till the American administration issued Canada it's new orders. You all would have supported the crucifixtion of Jesus incidently a completely legal execution.:lol::cool:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You know, I'm going to abhor this for a different reason. He should have charges laid against him from OUR government.

Extradition should be a no go, he never left the country. The people the US should arrest are those he mailed too, and we should seize his mailing list and give it over.

I have nothing against pot, but it is illegal, and just because you think something illegal should be legal doesn't mean you don't get punished for it.

Many people think alot of illegal things shouldn't be, like NAMBLA. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be prosecuted will the full force of the law.

Poor comparison. Enjoying pot is something you do to yourself no one else. Not to mention it's harmless. NAMBLA supports something one does to another and can be harmful to those too young to understand the ramifications of such a relationship.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Poor comparison. Enjoying pot is something you do to yourself no one else. Not to mention it's harmless. NAMBLA supports something one does to another and can be harmful to those too young to understand the ramifications of such a relationship.

And many people consider selling pot harmful to those too young to understand the ramifications of such a habbit. And I agree, I've seen alot of teenagers, including some family members, ruin their life because they become total potheads and don't understand moderation (don't get me wrong, no different than alcohol or tobacco).

But its not about the severity of the law, its that we are a democracy. We have decided that certain acts are illegal. I think making pot smoking illegal is stupid, that being said, I don't decide I know better than everyone else and break the law anyways. I focus my effort on changing the law. He did that too mind you, and I support him in his acts, but arbitrarily deciding that no one else gets a say in the law if he doesn't like it should not be condoned.

I think he shouldn't be extradited, but I do think he should be tried here. And I think anyone in the US he mailed too should be arrested for breaking their countries laws.

If people just ignore the laws they don't like, democracy falls apart pretty fast.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Most laws are common sense - but current pot laws do not make sense at all. we as a society spend vast resources on something that's reletively harmless. I don't condone teenagers smoking pot or drinking alcohol. They should wait until their 18, but they won't just as most of us didn't. It bothers me to see a young person with a criminal record for something like this, when the Police could be better utilzed going after the crack and meth dealers instead of pinching some kid for a joint. It is a law that we have been trying to modernize for a long time and seem to be getting nowhere fast thanks to our paranoid neighbour to the south, who, sees a threat in every shadow these days. that being said Mr Emery hyas done foolish thing and he got railroaded for it. I agree he should not be extradited butshould face trial here. He'll do a year, get some community service, pay a fine whatever after all the Government of Canada knew full well what he was up to, and let him get away with it for years - aren't they partly responsible? they took the tax money.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
A few thoughts (and I'm sorry, but this is gonna be a long post).

Marc Emery's agenda was twofold, to my eyes: humanitarian and civilly disobedient. On his humanitarian agenda, I cannot fault him. We have a natural right to effective medical treatment (proven fact with grass), and we also have a libertarian right to do with our bodies whatever we want. He was making decent quality grass available to those who needed it, and he cannot be faulted, at least on moral grounds.

On the civil disobedience front, his willingness to take responsibility for his actions is not only defensible, but essential for any claim of his actions to be civilly disobedient. Interfering in the civil liberties of a foreign country is less defensible. The U.S. is sovereign, just like Canada. How do we feel when somebody brings guns across the border and says they have a right to carry arms?

As far as his Canadian activities go, he has never made a secret of his actions. He has always been willing to go to court and fight for the rightness of his actions.

Remember that in Canada, a jury is allowed (actually, expected) to acquit if the defense that the "law was an unjust prohibition" is sound. If there was a law, for an extreme example, that the mayor could take the virginity of all women reaching the age of majority within their political jurisdiction, and you refused the mayor access to your child, you could argue the law was unjust, and therefore invalid.

If there was a prohibition on antibiotics, you could mount an identical defense that Marc Emery is making, and you'd be right.

As to the "reefer madness" anecdotes that Zzarchov refers to, sorry dude, but decades of research around the world refutes your hypothesis. Besides, the issue you raise, even if it had merit, has less to do with pot and more to do with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Thanks for your patience.

Pangloss

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
What reefer madness hypothesis?

You mean kids becoming useless turds because they sit around and smoke pot all day? Sorry, that aint reefer madness, thats 1/4 my old high school class and one of my kid siblings. And as I said thats not pot specific, another chunk of my old high school class became alcoholics too.

Its not reefer madness though, nor has any research "disputed my claims" since I didn't make any.

I simply stated that while I agree making pot illegal is stupid, its still the law and he should obey it even if he doesn't agree with it. He should instead fight to change the law, and hopefully succeed (as all stupid laws are repealed eventually)

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Zzarchov -

Sometimes the fight to change the law involves civil disobedience. For example, chaining yourself to an old growth tree - it certainly won't stop the loggers, and it will get you arrested, but that is the point. The arrest draws media attention, which directs popular sentiment, and is a fairly cost-effective ad campaign.

The protester goes to court, and argues there is some more important principle at stake than the law. This could be the health of the ecosystem, who gets the money from the logging, the damage to a neighbouring spawning stream, or any number of other things.

The protester does not lie about their actions, nor do they beg mercy; rather they say that the law (or regulation or policy) is wrong and it was their duty as loyal citizens to act. If they fail to persuade the court, they get punished.

Sometimes the right path is to break the law and avoid detection. Smuggling escaped slaves north to free states or Canada is an example where the right thing to do was break the law.

If the government ignores the evidence that toxic waste is being dumped in your backyard, taking a bag of the stuff and dumping it on the premiers' doorstep would be a reasonable course of action.

All I'm trying to say is that sometimes the good citizen is obligated to break the law. From Junius: "The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures."

Pangloss

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I agree with civil disobediance, however, you should not expect to avoid punishment. If he does not wish his accomplices to be prosecuted, they should probably be advised not to engage in the activity.