Americans passing off as Canadians

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
So I meet this American guy and his Russian husband in a bar and they start chatting.. not knowing exactly where I'm from (I've a mixed accent, I suppose) and it turns out this American guy telling me he tells about 3/4 of the people in Europe he meets that he's Canadian.

I guess I wasn't part of that group because I'm an English speaker, but my first question to him was whether he knew who the Prime Minister or head of state of Canada was and the dumb look on his face was priceless.

I mean I can understand hiding your nationality if there is a negative reputation about your country's government, but atleast you can research it a little bit before going all out!

A word of advice to any Americans posing as Canadian abroad: It's pronounced ,Toronno' or ,Tronno'. A native would not refer to Toronto with the last 't' pronounced.

I don't blame anybody for wanting to hide the fact they're US-American.. there's nothing worse than being forced into a political conversation when you're just out to have a good time.

Bonus tip! Londonites and some other Brits are very good at pinpointing accents within their own language. It's not advisable to cover up as an American if you're in the UK.. that and the fact most Brits have more knowledge of Canada than US-American do.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's so unfortunate they need to do that at all. But I can totally see what you're saying about not wanting to get drawn into political discussions when you're just away on vacation.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I remember reading a while back about a pack you could order in the US to help pretend to be Canadian. It included a maple leaf you could stitch on your back and a booklet with some typical Canadian trivia. I always thought it was a bit of a joke.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Be a lot easier to ignore the would-be political conversationalist, or just tell them to shove off...or maybe he should have had his "hubby" do it.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I personally say Tronno!
I met simular people when I was traveling around New Zealand and Australia.
It is quite funny when they do not realize that there is a 'real' Canadian there!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Be a lot easier to ignore the would-be political conversationalist, or just tell them to shove off...or maybe he should have had his "hubby" do it.

It's not really would-be political conversationalists, but people get curious and ask a lot of questions which no doubt have a lot of do with US foreign policy and US politics.

You don't have to put hubby in quotes, it's legal in Germany.

Toro

Senate Member
So I meet this American guy and his Russian husband in a bar and they start chatting.. not knowing exactly where I'm from (I've a mixed accent, I suppose) and it turns out this American guy telling me he tells about 3/4 of the people in Europe he meets that he's Canadian.

I guess I wasn't part of that group because I'm an English speaker, but my first question to him was whether he knew who the Prime Minister or head of state of Canada was and the dumb look on his face was priceless.

I mean I can understand hiding your nationality if there is a negative reputation about your country's government, but atleast you can research it a little bit before going all out!

A word of advice to any Americans posing as Canadian abroad: It's pronounced ,Toronno' or ,Tronno'. A native would not refer to Toronto with the last 't' pronounced.

I don't blame anybody for wanting to hide the fact they're US-American.. there's nothing worse than being forced into a political conversation when you're just out to have a good time.

Bonus tip! Londonites and some other Brits are very good at pinpointing accents within their own language. It's not advisable to cover up as an American if you're in the UK.. that and the fact most Brits have more knowledge of Canada than US-American do.

When I lived in the UK, everyone thought I was Irish.

When I was backpacking in Turkey, I gave an American a Canadian flag to sew onto his backpack. He was going into the eastern part of the country and wanted to hide his nationality. That was in the early 1990s.

But my Canadian pin didn't help me in Paris.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
While I do know who the PM is and some basic Canadian history, I still say the T *grin*

I'm a natural born Canadian as well. Lived in Toronto for a spell. Lived on the East coast for a bit, and spent the majority of my life in Southern Ontario. I have always pronounced the second 't' in the word Toronto. Aside from one uncle, everyone I know pronounces the second 't'.

From watching a fair bit of Canadian television, and noting that Toronto, Canada's largest city, gets just as much media coverage as, if not more than, Ottawa, I'm of the opinion that pronunciation of the second 't' is de facto among Canadians.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Haaa yeah. Tronno for me. But if I say it enough I get dizzy.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Haaa yeah. Tronno for me. But if I say it enough I get dizzy.

Most people who say they don't say it, who are infact from Toronto, say it. Just listen very closely :) Toronno.. sometimes there's a very very slight "T" sound, but it's closer to Toronno.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Most people who say they don't say it, who are infact from Toronto, say it. Just listen very closely :) Toronno.. sometimes there's a very very slight "T" sound, but it's closer to Toronno.

If I try to pronounce the "T" in the end of Toronto it feels forced, Toranna it is.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The trouble with non-Canadians posing as Canadians is that it makes travel riskier for Canadians.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
``I don't blame anybody for wanting to hide the fact they're US-American.. there's nothing worse than being forced into a political conversation when you're just out to have a good time.``

I suppose the right wingers here will want to chalk that up to Clinton once again.

:lol:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
I was in France back in the 80's. Doing an internship so everyone knew I was from a US university. But on the streets, asking for directions, or in a bar or restaurant, I said I was Canadian. And I was always treated better for saying that.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The trouble with non-Canadians posing as Canadians is that it makes travel riskier for Canadians.