Black Christmass

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
there is this fashion statement where we have finnaly come to the point where an Adam's family christmass can now be had at Canadian tire...

The first signs of this was those grey lights people put out...whats with that anyway..Dismal grey as a cheer up....hey daddy can we put up the lights...brings out the red yellow green blue traditional ones.....no honey we're going with Dismal grey...it's a reflection of my state of life....

If you look in your crappy tire christmass catalogue there is a pleathora of black decorations..wreaths, reindeer, mini trees....you can even have a blck dinner table complete with napkins placemats and dishes....

WTF has happened to our culture where the brightness and cheer up of Christmas has gone the way of the NYC black evening dress with matching boyfriend.......

what sort of kid wants to wake up to an addam's family tree anyway?.

ok carry on...just me wundrin

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the key is that, much like the little black dress, it creates a nice looking canvas against which pieces you want highlighted will stand out.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Simple really, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm sure if Canadian Tire falls on their face in the sales department of these items they won't be selling em next year.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I think the key is that, much like the little black dress, it creates a nice looking canvas against which pieces you want highlighted will stand out.
hell in the ads they try to add a lot of gold.....doesn't do it for me kid...it's an extremely self centered thing to do if ya got kids...It's Christmass for chrissakes ...i dunno maybe it's the war , what ever...fashion just doesn't happen ya know it's dictated and always has a reason...

Take the mini skirt and maxi dress...When the mini skirt appeared, oddly the stock market rose dramatically...then out of the blue they designed the maxi look long coats and such and the stock market fell dramatically....never will you see the maxi look again....

So would you put up those dismal grey led lights?..I mean yes black is very trendy i have tons in my wardrobe....that black zero crap by the by doesn't work.....ole fashioned black dye if ya want to revive it...lol

but christmas 8Ocome now....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
well..it's official...black is the color of the season...after watching sears and then a wall mart commercial along with crappy tire....it's mostly dismal grey with black trees and ornaments....no more tradition colors...it's the new black Christmas....the canadian tire wreath looks like it's made outta feathers....should be on a horse driven herse not a hearth for the yuletide look...

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Don't worry Doc, these things go in cycles. Remember when the fad was the crazy multicolored flashers? There will always be a lot of people who stick to the tradition, and don't need to buy new lights every year.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hysterical companies started their Christmas advertising before Halloween this year - the beginning of November and the merchandise is waiting on the shelves for eager sheep... er shoppers.

In the past, Thanksgiving in the U.S. was the traditional beginning of Christmas shopping and each year it has crept forward - now it is October - Soon St. Nick will be having outdoor BBQ on Labor Day!

Another new thing about St. Nick.... he's thinner and all the Santa applicants are doing aerobics....
I like the chubby guys.... the ones stuffed with cholesterol and tricglycerides....

Merry Silliness....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is a non-topic
Yesterday I went through three Canadian Tire stores in Nanaimo, Parksville, and Courtney, looking for a specific item. One thing I didn't see was black Christsmas decorations. These three stores had all the usual stuff but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Certainly not the revolution Doc talks about.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This is a non-topic
Yesterday I went through three Canadian Tire stores in Nanaimo, Parksville, and Courtney, looking for a specific item. One thing I didn't see was black Christsmas decorations. These three stores had all the usual stuff but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Certainly not the revolution Doc talks about.

Same with the CT on Macloed south in Calgary Juan.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
This is a non-topic
Well maybe the area where you live wouldn't buy into this sort of thing.
I know when i worked at Tip Top Tailors in montreal in the early 70's when i moved to Vancouver and got a job at pacific centre branch , the clothes were seasons back that were coming on as new fashion.

i'll get ya a link and show ya.....Why would you even think this is some sort of lie juan?
i mean thats pretty weird shyte .....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yup...you're dead on Juan...a non issue. CT lists 6 decorating themes of which "Cosmopolitin" is one. It is a Black and Gold based decorating theme. How dare CT give the consumer options.:roll:

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I recall that canadian stores used to use the practise of getting rid of last years fashions from the east next year in the west....i hope the same practrise is still not a done deal.....oddly when you go to crappy tire home page site they ask for a postal code....i wonder if that has anything to do with what one gets to see in certain parts of Canada...if it is....it's a huge slap in the face.....funny ...but not really....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Yup...you're dead on Juan...a non issue. CT lists 6 decorating themes of which "Cosmopolitin" is one. It is a Black and Gold based decorating theme. How dare CT give the consumer options.:roll:

i also noticed when i time shift digital rogers tv( huge waste of money) that ads out west were different than ads in the east....maybe yer not getting the new improved Dismal Christmas yet...rofl....

have fun with what ever yer on about there gerhy....rofl!!!!!

uuuu soladarity...rock me!!!!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Doc, you are a fashionable male. I bet you look dapper in your polyester leisure suits.

Wow, I found your secret profile picture Doc
:)

spelunking_lVVl

Nov 5, 2007
I'm with gerryh and karrie. It gives a nice option to those who don't want their houses to look completely garish with colour all over the place. Personally, I prefer a white and gold theme with maybe pastel or blue lights, but hey.

Anyway, think how good black deco is! In case you're too lazy to take lights down, you can use it for both Halloween and Christmas!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I recall that canadian stores used to use the practise of getting rid of last years fashions from the east next year in the west....i hope the same practrise is still not a done deal.....oddly when you go to crappy tire home page site they ask for a postal code....i wonder if that has anything to do with what one gets to see in certain parts of Canada...if it is....it's a huge slap in the face.....funny ...but not really....

Doc, you obviously have a mad on for Canadian Tire. I don't. I rejoice at every new Canadian Tire store opening........Maybe it means one less friggin Wal-Mart, the number one outlet for Chinese junky knock-offs.

Btw, I caught your little "age" comment....nice going Doc...:smile:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
my family always chose a colour scheme for decorations before starting the task. usually three colours, for instance red blue and silver, or gren red and gold. I like to restrict the decorating to a few colours or it just all blurs together into a mess. Another thing I try to avoid is dumping big thick bits of tinsel onto the tree. It removes the natural shape of the tree itself. If the thick sections are used at all they should be deep inside the branches to reflect the lights. Overall I prefer lametta strands, but we can't use those any more since one year the cat ate a bunch of them and walked around the house with his poo hanging out of his bum on a tinsel thread.