Bosses: Male and Female

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I work in a huge bureaucracy and have had many different bosses over the years. I find that I would rather have a male boss than a female boss. Males tend to behave the same all the time, whereas females frequently change how they react to situations . This makes it difficult for workers with female bosses because they don't know from one day to the next how the boss will react. What's been your experience?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Males tend to have less of an emotional roller coaster, but men are more often psycho lunatics who should be in a daycare, not running an office.

Women tend to be more emotional and changing, but are usually more reasonable people.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
As a woman, I wish I could say it's a personality issue, not a gender issue, but I have to say I agree with you Walter.

I'm not sure why, but some of the worst, meanest, sneakiest, most abusive bosses I've ever worked for have been women.

I can't remember a bad male boss in all my years in the working world, well I must have had at least one, but obviously not bad enough to burn a bitter memory into my brain. I can however, think of at least 3 female names right off the top of my head that caused me endless grief with their power struggling and back biting.

All that aside, I have actually had a couple female bosses I've really liked and respected - my boss now is a woman, as are most of my coworkers - and they're all fantastic. They work well as a team, treat each other with respect, like to keep it relaxed and have some fun, work hard... it's just that when looking at my absolute worst experiences with bosses, they're all women.

Wonder why that is?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Aside from the power struggle mood swing weirdness thing, I have found the place that has a suggestion box usually has a woman in the front office. Reason? More willing accept changes in the way they do business.

Wolf

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I've had both male and female bosses that were equally bad and good. I really like my boss right now, who is female. I really like my previous boss, who was male as well.

Stupidity, moodiness and being unreasonable is not gender oriented at my present place of employment.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I would also rather work for a male boss any day over a female boss. At least you can reason with a man but forget it with a women/

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I hear men attribute things like mood swings and backstabbing to women. But having seen my husband spend the last ten years working in a male dominated industry, makes it obvious that it's not a female issue. The gossip, the drama, the backstabbing, and the bitchiness never disappears. It's just as prevalent with a male workforce.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I hear men attribute things like mood swings and backstabbing to women. But having seen my husband spend the last ten years working in a male dominated industry, makes it obvious that it's not a female issue. The gossip, the drama, the backstabbing, and the bitchiness never disappears. It's just as prevalent with a male workforce.

I've been working for over two years now in a company where I am the only woman, and it's heaven. There is some gossip, of course, it's bound to be in a company that has more than three employees, and there are some conflicts, but backstabbing and bitchiness just don't occur. And the atmosphere is very relaxed and pleasant. It's a great difference compared to my previous job, where we had all the quarrels and intrigues. Needless to say, the majority of staff were women.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
All my Bosses were male and some of my problem with them were about their ego.
Would love to work under a female boss or on top if she prefers ;)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I've had around ten bosses - a mix of male and female - and I lucked out with all of them - some are still good friends and I am proud of that. Two of them were instrumental and made it possible for me to continue on in school and still retain my job so I could pay my way. I am my own boss now and I would hate to work for me.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
bosses

I have had both male and female....and, it has been the male bosses in the retaurant industry who were off the friggin wall! Most were trying to get into the young bus girls pants, one threw a case of empties at me when I asked where they were to go (I walked right out the door)...my ex used to throw anything he could find during a "i'm too busy rage"...the female bosses never did any of this, and they were always more understanding. I think it's a matter of industry.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Nepotism and Sexism in Peer Review

A woman generally has to be twice as productive as a man to be considered as important by their peers. This is true for both male and female peers. A man can generally tell someone what to do without being considered bossy, yet when a woman tells someone what to do they are often considered unsupportive and bossy. We all have so many implicit associations between gender and specific expectations that it is most times impossible to give an opinion without being influenced by these associations. I would like to second Karrie's comment, stereotypes about women and mood swings versus men and emotional stability is more smoke than solid.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In my experience, women bosses tend to accept input and advice more readily than males do. My personal feelings are irrelevant though. I'm sure that had I taken different jobs, the results would be different. I haven't even had enough jobs to accurately portray any differences which might occur statistically.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I prefer male bosses. I also prefer male co-workers for the most part for the same reason. If I have a bad day and say something I have to worry that my coworkers are going to hold it against me. I find that I often know exactly where I stand with a male boss or fellow employee. When they say "**** off" it's only for the moment and not for days/weeks/years on end.

But I will say I've been fortunate and had some of the best bosses in the world. I've had female bosses that as long as I was aware of what triggered their self esteem buttons they were ok to work for. Sometimes it was simply frustrating and annoying having to massage their egos'.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Thirded............

Most of my bosses were men. One woman. She was nice.

Great worker, organizer, team player, fantastic boobs.

All round wonderful gal.

:lol:Nug.

Fourthed. The boobs do make a difference. Men try to make it look like they know what's going on all the time, women just know. I hate that about them sometimes. You you, like when it's my wife. I am a boss and male, I know everything all the time. :p