Americans Flee to Canada

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
O, Canada! More Americans Heading North

The Number of Americans Moving to Canada in 2006 Hit a 30-Year High

More Americans are moving to Canada — more than 10,000 last year — for social and political reasons. (abc news)

By MARCUS BARAM
July 31, 2007

Blame Canada!
It may seem like a quiet country where not much happens besides ice hockey, curling and beer drinking. But our neighbor to the north is proving to be quite the draw for thousands of disgruntled Americans.

The number of U.S. citizens who moved to Canada last year hit a 30-year high, with a 20 percent increase over the previous year and almost double the number who moved in 2000.
In 2006, 10,942 Americans went to Canada, compared with 9,262 in 2005 and 5,828 in 2000, according to a survey by the Association for Canadian Studies.
Of course, those numbers are still outweighed by the number of Canadians going the other way. Yet, that imbalance is shrinking. Last year, 23,913 Canadians moved to the United States, a significant decrease from 29,930 in 2005.
"There has been a definite increase in the past five years — the number hasn't exceeded 10,000 since 1977," says Jack Jedwab, the association's executive director. "During the mid-70s, Canada admitted between 22,000 and 26,000 Americans a year, most of whom were draft dodgers from the Vietnam War."
The current increase is fueled largely by social and political reasons, says Jedwab.
"Those who are coming have the highest level of education — these aren't people who can't get a job in the states," he explains. "They're coming because many of them don't like the politics, the Iraq War and the security situation in the U.S. By comparison, Canada is a tension-free place. People feel safer."
One recent immigrant is Tom Kertes, a 34-year-old labor organizer who moved from Seattle to Toronto in April.
Kertes attributes his motivation to President Bush's opposition to gay marriage, and the tactics employed during the war on terror since 9/11.
"I wanted a country that respected my human rights and the rights of others," he says. "We joked about it after Bush won re-election, but it took us a while to go through the application."
Kertes, who moved with his partner, is happy in his new home. "Canada is a really nice country. My mother is thinking about it. My stepfather has diabetes and has health issues. So, he'd be taken care of for free if he moved up here."
Number of Americans Moving to Canada in 2006 Hit a 30-Year High
Not that Kertes doesn't get homesick every once in a while. "I have no intention of giving up my citizenship. I have an American flag at home on the wall — I didn't have that in Seattle. All of a sudden, I'm a nationalist. On the Fourth of July, I really missed being home."
Jo Davenport, who wrote "The Canadian Way," moved from Atlanta to Nova Scotia in December 2001. She also cites political reasons for her move, saying that she disagreed with the Bush administration's decisions after 9/11.
"Things are totally different here because they care about their people here," she says, explaining that she's only been back home once or twice.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Could it be that Canada more closely resembles the America they once loved?

Or do they just feel a "draft"...

Muz

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
A conspiracy theorist could make the case that this is just a pre-NAU migration of "people assets" to help along the coming anschluss of Canada.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Just a simple question:

How many Canadians moved to the states during the same time period?

Pangloss

:shock:

Who are you and what have you done with Pangloss?

the article in the OP said:
Of course, those numbers are still outweighed by the number of Canadians going the other way. Yet, that imbalance is shrinking. Last year, 23,913 Canadians moved to the United States, a significant decrease from 29,930 in 2005.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
In my opinion people are far more likely to move for economic reasons. Historically people could make more money in the United States so the flow has naturally been to the US. With the Canadian economy strengthening at the same time the American economy has weakened some of the trend has changed slightly. If American’s move for social reasons then they might be in for a shock:

http://forums.rawdemocracy.com/showthread.php?t=1967

What I find interesting though is that despite Canada’s economic gains relative to the US and despite the larger population in the United States there are still more people moving to the US then visa versa. My conclusion can only be that a much greater percentage of American’s believe that America is a better place to live then Canada, then Canadians believe that Canada is a better place to live then the US. I find that interesting because I think Canadians have a lot of pride in their country.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Apart from the social, economic, cultural and 'friendship' basis for moves to the United States by any people from any other nation....

The U.S. Immigration/Visa system has been log jammed in the past five years and because of the new security measures, it simply takes longer to emigrate into the U.S. It stands to reason therefore the numbers are going to be down because many people aren't processed and may be waiting, or may be refused whereas five years ago may have been approved. Times have changed.

Even students are finding it difficult move as freely as they have historically done and they have to prepare years in advance if they plan to attend some of the U.S. universities.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
In my opinion people are far more likely to move for economic reasons. Historically people could make more money in the United States so the flow has naturally been to the US. With the Canadian economy strengthening at the same time the American economy has weakened some of the trend has changed slightly. If American’s move for social reasons then they might be in for a shock:

http://forums.rawdemocracy.com/showthread.php?t=1967

What I find interesting though is that despite Canada’s economic gains relative to the US and despite the larger population in the United States there are still more people moving to the US then visa versa. My conclusion can only be that a much greater percentage of American’s believe that America is a better place to live then Canada, then Canadians believe that Canada is a better place to live then the US. I find that interesting because I think Canadians have a lot of pride in their country.

I think there is probably more to offer money wise in the US and for those who are interested in art then the US is a Mecca. As I've said all along, the US is a beautiful country and people. It's just the few warts that are at the moment glaringly obvious. This happens from time to time, often when there is a Republican in the Whitehouse.

The one thing I've found is that once you get beyond the politics, both cultures have so very much in common. Just enough difference to make a vacation interesting, while similar enough to feel like home when you are there.

Something both countries lack though is real leadership who can take North America from where it is at the moment to where it's fulfilling it's potential and acting like two nations that can lead the way into a more peaceful sustainable world.

Maybe the test for us is to get beyond the polarizing discussions of right and wrong and where to lay the blame, so that we can get on with the search for what is good and how to implement that across the borders.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I ALWAYS FIND THESE DISCUSSIONS TO BE LAUGHABLE.

There surely is at best one degree of separation between the two nations. As much as I agree that I would hate the present U.S. administration if I lived there...That will change. As much as I don't run when our admin changes.

Are we truley the kinder gentler nation or do we have less big cities full of crime...It seems the big cites we do have have their fair share of crime and uncaring.. It is likely kinder in Utah then in lets say Southern Ontario, Health care is way better in Michigan than in Arkansas ...

New york state is more comfortable to me that Quebec or Texas...it's all perspective...

I lived in many areas of Canada and the U.S. and what I can say about each area is that they are different from each other ...thats about it.

I can't say Halifax is anymore the same to live in as Toronto then between Toronto and Burlington Vermont...

I really don't think there is a typical Canadian or American..both countries are very regional in nature.

So will all these Americans move back when Hillary is President...will all conservatives move to the U.S. if Dion gets in....

What a silly short term thought..

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I moved for the job and the adventure. The real question is how many of them will stay? I have two Canadian friends down here who have no intention on staying past this winter (they only wanted to come for a year and once their contract is done, they'll be gone). I've been down here three years and have no particular plans for leaving.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
A lot of Canadians also move south for the weather.

Yep, my grandparents spent winters in Arizona and the rest of the time here in Canada.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
Americans move here cuz it is generally a nicer place to live... safer, etc. Canadians move down there for the $'s...

Of course there is more to it than that.... but I think, in general terms, that my statement is fairly accurate.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
I read this and tink of what I see happening in London... a fair number of Torontonians are moving to London since it's cheaper, cleaner, safer, friendlier and nicer than the concrete jungle that is Toronto. Londoners mostly are not impressed. As a Canadian, I really do not mind if the Yanks come up here so long as they check the Yank superiority attitude at the border... oh yeah, and the guns! ( to be fair here, I really can not see that many hardcore Repugnicans moving North )

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
I hear south of America is now immigrating to North, near Great Lake.
Due to serious droughts and non-raining problems.
Its becoming more frequent and serious.