Drying Laundry

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
EDITORIAL
TheStar.com - comment - The beauty of laundry
The beauty of laundry

Jul 31, 2007 04:30 AM

In many places in Ontario, it is against the law to hang laundry out to dry. It has been that way for years due to neighbourhood covenants introduced by developers and residents hung up over the sight of someone's sheets flapping in the wind.
But drying laundry outdoors is actually a sign of social responsibility. Rather than wasting energy, and adding to their power bills, smart residents turn their dryers off and use free wind and solar energy to dry their clothes. That has big benefits for the environment.
According to the Ontario Environment Ministry's website, a standard clothes dryer consumes 900 kilowatt-hours of energy each year and results in the discharge of up to 840 kilograms of air pollution and greenhouse gases. All that can be avoided by hanging laundry on a clothesline. Yet residents in many Ontario communities who dare put their laundry out to dry risk a lawsuit.
Queen's Park has the power to trump neighbourhood covenants banning the use of clotheslines. Many mayors and environmental groups have urged the government to act. But it has not yet done so, despite having its own website tout the benefits of using a clothesline. Given the need to conserve energy, it is time to ban the bans.

I can't remember not hanging laundry out to dry if the weather was amenable; and I'm a righty.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
EDITORIAL
TheStar.com - comment - The beauty of laundry
The beauty of laundry

Jul 31, 2007 04:30 AM

In many places in Ontario, it is against the law to hang laundry out to dry. It has been that way for years due to neighbourhood covenants introduced by developers and residents hung up over the sight of someone's sheets flapping in the wind.
But drying laundry outdoors is actually a sign of social responsibility. Rather than wasting energy, and adding to their power bills, smart residents turn their dryers off and use free wind and solar energy to dry their clothes. That has big benefits for the environment.
According to the Ontario Environment Ministry's website, a standard clothes dryer consumes 900 kilowatt-hours of energy each year and results in the discharge of up to 840 kilograms of air pollution and greenhouse gases. All that can be avoided by hanging laundry on a clothesline. Yet residents in many Ontario communities who dare put their laundry out to dry risk a lawsuit.
Queen's Park has the power to trump neighbourhood covenants banning the use of clotheslines. Many mayors and environmental groups have urged the government to act. But it has not yet done so, despite having its own website tout the benefits of using a clothesline. Given the need to conserve energy, it is time to ban the bans.

I can't remember not hanging laundry out to dry if the weather was amenable; and I'm a righty.

Dumb law that should be changed. I suppose we couldn't do something like that with the stroke of a pen, not when we can manage to get a few lawyers to bill a few million dollars for writing a couple of books worth of legalese about it first. Then herald in the new day near an election to show just how much some backbencher really cares about the environment.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
I had no idea there are laws against hanging laundry. You have got to be kidding me.

I can only echo what Unforgiven has already said.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
That wouldn't have helped my mother who for years didn't have a dryer to choose.... she hung everything outside in the back yard in the summer and inside in the basement in the winter. She had seven kids. Lotsa laundry!

Somethings make me wonder if progress is just another demonstration of how far off we're travelling sideways or backwards on this modern road of conveniences.

I hang most of my washing in the garage - have a retractible clothes line and am always teased about it - but my clothing lasts longer, looks less beaten up - and there are only a few things I turn the dryer on for... My shirts and blouses I hang on wide plastic hangars and they rarely need a touch up except some of the collars.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
When the weather is nice, everything I wash goes onto the clothesline[except my boxers..I don't think I could stand the laughter of the neighbour]:-(

Reactions: Brat

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yep, I actualy gave my inherited dryer away a couple years ago, stupid thing.

When a friend first visited here from Germany 10 years ago, he couldn't figure out what the "appliance cubes" even were, and when he found out he laughed long and hard, and still brings it up to this day "Man, so strainch, they are still doing this??"

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Actually, as pointed out in the article, it's mainly tenant associations in townhouse and condo developments that prohibit hanging clothes.

What we need is a ban on those types of rules, but when you have these little postage-stamp lots and unfenced "yards" behind the townhouses you wouldn't want the woman with six kids next door with perpetualy full clothesline ruining the "ambiance" of your patio either.

We have a second storey laundry room with an outside door leading to a "pulpit" with a clothesline.
The clothesline broke last year though...need a BIG ladder...

Muz

I had no idea there are laws against hanging laundry. You have got to be kidding me.

I can only echo what Unforgiven has already said.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Why hang out clothese and stuff to dry when you can get that clean air fresh scent from useing bounce sheets8O

It's an anal law...Friggin laundry on the line is life....it has nothing to do with ambiance or ruining a back door look...it's friggin life and catching the sun's rays might even kill a few germs.....to be honest though hanging it out in an urban enviorement might not be a good idea due to pollution.

Hell i remember frozen long johns standing up in the kitchen back in montreal..fun times...and we lived in a ghetto project where you had these things made for the balcony that clipped on with like a hanger type end.....and all the laundry hung over the balcony.....everywhere8O

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
We used to use longjohns frozen stiff for snowball target practice! I miss winter in Canada

Legs and arms were fewer points than torso..... butt was the most points natch!

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I like seeing thongs flickering in the air, kinda like a windsock.
you realize no one knows what thongs yer talking about today.....

If i were to say to the grand kids "The beach great!!!! me and gramma will wear our thongs".....they would hurl chunks....tink aboud id...

ya see lad and lassies back in the 60's flip flops were called thongs...and swimsuit thongs were not invented yet.....i think the word thong was invented for the swimsuit with the 60's thong in mind.....there was this girl caught off guard coming from a skinny dipp and they stole here clothes ...she was thin enough to slip into a flip flop.....
true tale...honest8O

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
you realize no one knows what thongs yer talking about today.....

If i were to say to the grand kids "The beach great!!!! me and gramma will wear our thongs".....they would hurl chunks....tink aboud id...

ya see lad and lassies back in the 60's flip flops were called thongs...and swimsuit thongs were not invented yet.....i think the word thong was invented for the swimsuit with the 60's thong in mind.....there was this girl caught off guard coming from a skinny dipp and they stole here clothes ...she was thin enough to slip into a flip flop.....
true tale...honest8O

honest to gawd Doc, sometimes you just slay me!

btw, I think I posted this pic somewhere else awhile ago, but this thread is begging for a re-run:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
God Zan that was wonderful!!!

Can I snitch it for an e-mail? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

I wonder which one AlBore is wearing hehe

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
course ya can! As far as I'm concerned, once a pic's posted, it's up for grabs...

besides where'd ya think I got it?

I wonder which one AlBore is wearing hehe

Pleaseohplease, by all things holy... if you ever find out, don't tell us.. some of us are cursed with very vivid imaginations