Son of fallen Sask Mountie

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Son of fallen Sask Mountie still kisses his picture one year after 'papa's' death

By Tim Cook
REGINA (CP) - Natasha Szpakowski's 21-month-old son Luca still has a picture of his "papa" that he kisses from time to time.
She has tucked away all the cards and letters of support she has received from people across the country since her husband, RCMP Const. Marc Bourdages, was fatally shot a year ago. She'll show them to Luca one day when he is old enough to understand what happened to his father.
Szpakowski says her son has been the biggest source of comfort since Bourdages and his partner, Const. Robin Cameron, were gunned down on a dusty backroad near Spiritwood, Sask., last summer.
She sees her husband every time she looks at the little guy and knows he is the best legacy Bourdages could have ever left.
"I think that's probably the hardest thing out of all of this," Szpakowski said in an interview with The Canadian Press.
"Although it was a short time, at least I had my time with Marc. I feel Luca was robbed."
Szpakowski dabs at her eyes with a well-worn tissue that she has been crumpling in her fist.
It will be one year ago this weekend that Bourdages and Cameron responded to what they thought would be a routine assault complaint in downtown Spiritwood.
What ensued was an intense chase down country roads that ended with Bourdages and Cameron both being shot in the head. The suspect was on the run.
The officers fought off death for nine days, but their injuries were too severe. They died in hospital July 16 - only hours apart.
The suspect was found two days after that by some of his neighbours who convinced him to give himself up. Curtis Dagenais had been the focus of a 12-day manhunt. Police blocked off the area, searched vehicles and followed up on tips that proved to be useless.
Dagenais is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and faces a preliminary hearing in August.
While he has sat in jail waiting for his case to go before the courts, it's been a year of pain and sadness for the Bourdages and Cameron families as they try to come to terms with their losses.
Both officers were young and in the early part of their careers - Cameron was 29; Bourdages only 26.
Both had young children they left behind. Cameron had a daughter, Shayne, who was 11 at the time her mother died. Luca was only nine months old.
Both also had loved ones who understood the sudden dangers RCMP officers can face. Szpakowski, now 33, is herself a constable with the RCMP, while Cameron's father Howard was a member of the force in the 1970s.
"We've had our ups and downs," said Howard Cameron as he sat on the porch of his home on the Beardy's and Okemasis reserve north of Saskatoon.
"But we've been mostly coping - coping with that loss and that emptiness and the sorrow, and, of course, the anger kind of creeps in sometimes."
The sadness also creeps into a lot of things, Szpakowski said. She explained how Bourdages was a big Bon Jovi fan and hearing the band sing brings back memories. Or when Luca does something for the first time, she will find herself wishing her husband was there to share it with her.
"I knew that Marc had passed away and I was there when he took his last breath. But days after, weeks after, months after, sometimes you wake up and you just wonder did all this really happen or did I just have a bad dream?"
Cameron's life is being used as a tool to inspire young people on her home reserve. The high school has been renamed in her honour and a life-sized granite statue will soon greet all those who enter.
Howard Cameron said his daughter managed to stay away from the pitfalls that snare so many aboriginal young people who grow up on a reserve. It wasn't easy to leave her daughter behind and train for six months in Regina, but she did.
"She's kicked the door open regarding the barriers that have been there for First Nations," he said. "She's opened a lot of doors and it's up to us now as a society to keep those doors open."
Howard Cameron's granddaughter, who read a moving letter at the funeral about her love for her mother and her belief the two would see each other again, is living with a relative in Saskatoon now. Her grandfather says he sees a lot of his daughter in Shayne - even a lot of their mannerisms are the same.
"I can't physically hug my daughter now, today, but I can physically hug my granddaughter today. And just that connection eases the pain. It helps us go through what we're going through."
Szpakowski has tried to stay out of the public eye since her husband's death - the interview this week was her first.
She has since moved out of Spiritwood and is now an instructor at the RCMP training depot in Regina.
"I just want people to know that Marc wasn't just a police officer - he was a good husband, a good father, a good friend and a good son," she said. "Certainly the world lost a good person."
Bourdages grew up in Saint-Eustache, Que.
Both Howard Cameron and Szpakowski know that closure for them is a long way off because the case is likely to stretch into next year.
But neither have spent much time feeling angry at the accused.
"That would be a waste of my energies to do that," Szpakowski said. "If I bothered myself with so much anger, I would just be passing it on to Luca, and I certainly don't want to do that."
Howard Cameron admits to getting angry from time to time, but he's learned to control it.
"If this was 20-some years ago, I most likely would have hunted this person down and killed him myself," he said.
"The day will come where I will be face to face with this guy and I'll ultimately forgive him, because who am I to judge?"

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Y'know, just to put some things in perspective - let's compare the relative danger of being, oh, I don't know, a house carpenter, or a labourer, or whatever, to being a cop.

Hmmm - I come from five generations of cops, and I've built houses. So I have an understanding of both and sympathy for the difficulties in each position.

Cops almost never get hurt. Housebuilders are hurt as a part of the job. How often to police officers die on the job, as compared to, well, labourers? Framers quit working when their knuckles get bulbous and arthritic - about twenty five or so years of working - cops quit when they retire.

Or fishers? Or loggers? Or miners? These folks lose limbs all the time - that never makes the news.

Oh, man, speaking of losing limbs - oil rig workers - they're getting accidental amputations all the time.

When was the last time there was a national news event for a kid killed at a farm?

I'm a stagehand - last night we had a kid crush his foot under some scenery - this eighteen year old dancer (who has trained since he was five) will now forever walk with a limp. Some cops were doing backstage security and they made like it was nothing compared to the dangers they face.

So I asked them if they knew anyone that was crippled on the job. These guys have both been on the job for about five years - they knew nobody. What about an amputation - nope.

A couple cops have been killed in traffic accidents - fewer than were killed in the Roads and Engineering Departments in the same time period. Fewer than bike couriers in the same time.

Maybe it's time we all stepped back and took a breath and quit thinking one death is more tragic than another.

Pangloss

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Y'know, just to put some things in perspective - let's compare the relative danger of being, oh, I don't know, a house carpenter, or a labourer, or whatever, to being a cop.

Hmmm - I come from five generations of cops, and I've built houses. So I have an understanding of both and sympathy for the difficulties in each position.

Cops almost never get hurt. Housebuilders are hurt as a part of the job. How often to police officers die on the job, as compared to, well, labourers? Framers quit working when their knuckles get bulbous and arthritic - about twenty five or so years of working - cops quit when they retire.

Or fishers? Or loggers? Or miners? These folks lose limbs all the time - that never makes the news.

Oh, man, speaking of losing limbs - oil rig workers - they're getting accidental amputations all the time.

When was the last time there was a national news event for a kid killed at a farm?

I'm a stagehand - last night we had a kid crush his foot under some scenery - this eighteen year old dancer (who has trained since he was five) will now forever walk with a limp. Some cops were doing backstage security and they made like it was nothing compared to the dangers they face.

So I asked them if they knew anyone that was crippled on the job. These guys have both been on the job for about five years - they knew nobody. What about an amputation - nope.

A couple cops have been killed in traffic accidents - fewer than were killed in the Roads and Engineering Departments in the same time period. Fewer than bike couriers in the same time.

Maybe it's time we all stepped back and took a breath and quit thinking one death is more tragic than another.

Pangloss

I don't know Pangloss. When was the last time four carpenters were shot dead on the job. When was the last time any carpenter was shot dead. The reason we put the deaths of policemen on a bit of a pedestal is that we don't want any kind of an open season on the police. Btw, two years ago a woman constable was shot in the knee and lost her leg. This is not meant to be any kind of decisive rant....just a few points.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I grant you that, Juan. I understand that police put themselves in harm's way for our protection.

It is also one of the safest jobs outside of the office there is. Injuries per 100,000 hours worked are far lower than a great many jobs out there. Mind you, my info is a few years old, but I'll bet it hasn't changed that much.

Where is the public memorial for bouncers? Two got stabbed here in Calgary not long ago, while trying to pull an unarmed man out of a fight; another got his legs crushed this spring while trying to stop a demi-riot.

As previously mentioned - what about farm workers? Bathed in carcinogenic pesticides, horrible pay, no worker's comp coverage - all so we can have cheap produce.

A good friend fights forest fires. According to him, these guys get hurt, disabled and killed every year - nothing for them.

How are these dangers - indeed how are these deaths - any less important than those faced by our police?

Equality and egalitarianism are virtues any society ought to strive towards.

Pangloss

SwitSof

Electoral Member
sanctus quoting news said:
What ensued was an intense chase down country roads that ended with Bourdages and Cameron both being shot in the head. The suspect was on the run.
The officers fought off death for nine days, but their injuries were too severe. They died in hospital July 16 - only hours apart.
The suspect was found two days after that by some of his neighbours who convinced him to give himself up. Curtis Dagenais had been the focus of a 12-day manhunt. Police blocked off the area, searched vehicles and followed up on tips that proved to be useless.
Dagenais is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and faces a preliminary hearing in August.
While he has sat in jail waiting for his case to go before the courts, it's been a year of pain and sadness for the Bourdages and Cameron families as they try to come to terms with their losses.

Isn't the difference that the cops in the news put by sanctus were killed deliberately by somebody, while the workers Pangloss made examples of were having accidental death cause of the risks in the job, if we were to compare the same thing as the final result?
I read for example Reuters' freelance cameraman in Iraq, a local actually, was hit by an accidental bullet that went off from an American soldier's gun. It was an accident, but still the gun was triggered by somebody too. It didn't make the news outside only internally as far as I know, but I know it was suggested to the HQ in London to have part of the fund the company has to support its employees and their family members who are having financial problems, to be donated to the family of the cameraman who was left behind.
Pangloss, were you trying to say that accidents deserve to be put on the news as much as deliberate killings actually?

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
As to the carpenter question: there is no more dangerous industry in Alberta than construction, both in absolute numbers and proportionally.

Shot in the chest or buried in backfill; stabbed or falling five stories to my death because a temporary railing failed: all horrible ways to die.

Danger is danger, hurt is hurt and dead is dead.

Sorry for the tautology, but I hope it makes my point.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Swit:

Of course there is a difference between deliberate harm and an accident. But what of all those occupations where the harm and death are "just part of the job"?

Is it an accident when safe practices are discouraged by the employer? Don't think this is rare; I bet I could go to any number of jobsites and find major safety violations.

Is it an accident (in terms of an unforeseen incident) when the guards are removed from the equipment by the employer?

Is it an accident when the forest firefighter or the fisher or the miner dies? It happens all the time so nobody can say they didn't see it coming.

We know how many people will die in each occupation every year because of the nature of the work and those that employ them - is this just the cost of doing business and keeping a job?

My entire family are cops, and I worry for them all the time - but less than I do for my uncle the logger - he's been helicoptered to the hospital twice.

Pangloss

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As to the carpenter question: there is no more dangerous industry in Alberta than construction, both in absolute numbers and proportionally.

Shot in the chest or buried in backfill; stabbed or falling five stories to my death because a temporary railing failed: all horrible ways to die.

Danger is danger, hurt is hurt and dead is dead.

Sorry for the tautology, but I hope it makes my point.

Pangloss

As an aside; some carpenters do funny things. When I worked on the tar sands project in Fort McMurray twenty odd years ago this happened twice. Two carpenters looking for a sheet of plywood found one nailed to the floor. They yanked the nails, picked up the sheet and walked off. The trailing man disappeared down the hole the plywood was covering. It would be funnier if the guy hadn't been badly injured.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Swit:

Of course there is a difference between deliberate harm and an accident. But what of all those occupations where the harm and death are "just part of the job"?

Is it an accident when safe practices are discouraged by the employer? Don't think this is rare; I bet I could go to any number of jobsites and find major safety violations.

[truncated]

My entire family are cops, and I worry for them all the time - but less than I do for my uncle the logger - he's been helicoptered to the hospital twice.

Pangloss

I really hope your family would be safe always. Everybody wants that for their loved ones.
I see your point, I think I do anyway...
I suppose, the cops' story made news cause it's related to a crime and it would draw readers, and it's quite worrying to see that there are things that went wrong like safety violations that should have been put to radar were just overlooked, partly probably cause it wouldn't sell much... Whereas Paris Hilton's violation made prime story...8O

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Juan:

I've heard that story - I do not doubt it's truth, it's just such rich slapstick that the story became famous. At least, that's what I suspect.

I wish I could post the many, many stories of Vancouver police stupidity I've heard all my life.

We are all capable of being the biggest threat to our own security.

Pangloss

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan:

I've heard that story - I do not doubt it's truth, it's just such rich slapstick that the story became famous. At least, that's what I suspect.

I wish I could post the many, many stories of Vancouver police stupidity I've heard all my life.

We are all capable of being the biggest threat to our own security.

Pangloss

Truth be known, I only saw one of these things happen. The other was hearsay, rumour, or whatever.. I used to go out for a beer with a neighbor who was a cop and he told stories about other cops shooting a hole in the bottom of their holsters, shooting a hole in the floor of the police car, and the subsequent efforts to cover them up. If somebody's gun went off it was okay as long as they knew where the bullet went.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've worked a wide range of jobs in my young life, and I have to say I'm really astounded at the lack of safety here in Alberta. Back in Nova Scotia, I've worked for a tree trimming contractor, municipal and provincial grounds maintenance and in shipping freight to name a few. Within a short time of being employed, I've always had to take a refresher in OH&S as well as WHIMS, regardless of how recent my last courses were. On top of that, you weren't allowed to work using any equipment unless you had been trained to do so, all part of the Due Diligence. Also, eye protection, hearing protection, safety boots and breathing apparatus was a must.

Here in Alberta it's a totally different ball game. I've worked two jobs here now, one in construction for a house mover, and now as a landscaper. Neither job asked about those courses, neither job seemed to care about safety equipment, and neither job cared whether or not I had ever used the equipment. It's really quite shocking, and as a young worker I know how important it is to be safe and avoid life long debilitating injuries.

I'm quite sure the dichotomy is due to the frantic pace of growth here in Alberta, but that's never an excuse. I also happened to work on fishing vessels, and the number one concern is that everyone makes it home safe and with all their body parts functional and intact. Profit is secondary to safety, and always should be.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I think the difference in reaction by the public among the differing occupations and the prospect of injury or death is....

... that police/fire/rescue/emt put their lives on the line as part of their work ... whereas those in jobs which also involved danger are done 'risk accepted and acknowledged'....

Not necessarily fair - but the public feels an obligation towards those who work to protect them (as a whole). Not all.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I see everyone's point here...I don't think we should honor our military and paramilitary people any less than we do.
When an accident happens at a site here in toronto it gets news.

But our people in uniform carry with them honor and i think we tend to feel like... if ...even if they died in a lonely barn way out in alberta, here in toronto it was someone who was protecting us from afar....

But we do honor our workers as well and here is a lil bit of proof by way of a song;

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide;
Where steel and water did collide.
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado,
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below.
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound:
But I am still around.
I'll always be around,.
And around and around and around and around.

:The highwaymen